Prediction Premature Hit List - Who will survive the end of year. ( not talking about the coach ).

Remove this Banner Ad

Retire:
Gilbert
Stevens

Delist:
Minchington
Wright
Connellan
Pierce

Trade bait (draft pick to receive):
Newnes (mid 2nd round pick)
Weller (late 3rd round pick)
Armitage (late 3rd round pick)
Hickey (late 2nd round pick)
Longer (mid 2nd round pick)
Dunstan (early 2nd round pick)

Otherwise use these players to harbour a trade for Hannebery or another A-Grade midfielder.
Think you're a bit off the mark there Jimmy. Try

Newnes (pick 55+)
Weller - no currency
Armitage - no currency
Hickey (anywhere from 22 to 40)
Longer ( 44- 70)
Dunstan (35-50)

Think you're a bit off the mark there Jimmy. Try

Newnes (pick 55+)
Weller - no currency
Armitage - no currency
Hickey (anywhere from 22 to 40)
Longer ( 44- 70)
Dunstan (35-50)

Newnes would be worth more than Dunstan IMO. Newnes had no preseason and looks like he's got shoulder issues still. His season has been poor but he'd still interest other clubs from his past games. Dunstan has probably got very little value because he's never had a consistent performance level. Longer and Hickey probably both get a pick around 30 to 50, I doubt either are big targets but would suit a club who needs a cheap ruck who hopefully improves in a better team.

Newnes would be worth more than Dunstan IMO. Newnes had no preseason and looks like he's got shoulder issues still. His season has been poor but he'd still interest other clubs from his past games. Dunstan has probably got very little value because he's never had a consistent performance level. Longer and Hickey probably both get a pick around 30 to 50, I doubt either are big targets but would suit a club who needs a cheap ruck who hopefully improves in a better team.
I think Hickey has a little more value based on his mobility and the fact that he can find the ball. Similarly I'll stick to my Dunstan worth more than Newnes prediction based solely on Dunstan being able to play in the middle and having a good record as a tagger until Steele arrived plus Newnes fairly average defensive skills.
The good thing is that we're almost certainly going to find out at the end of this season. All supporters, understandably, tend to overrate their players' trade value. I get a fair bit of mail from two mates who are player managers and we appear to have remarkably few players with any real currency. For example if we were successful in signing Lycett then actually finding an offer or trade for either ruckman could be difficult.
He's rarely mentioned here but I think Sinclair may yield a second round pick if we were interested. He at least appears to be improving.

Retire:
Gilbert
Stevens

Delist:
Minchington
Wright
Weller (or steak knives in a trade)
Connellan

Trade bait:

Longer
Hickey
Dunstan
Newnes

Armo and Lonie have probably earnt another year. See how Pierce goes in the last 2 games but he was really good last night.

Retire:
Gilbert
Stevens

Delist:
Minchington
Wright
Weller (or steak knives in a trade)
Connellan

Trade bait:

Longer
Hickey
Dunstan
Newnes

Armo and Lonie have probably earnt another year. See how Pierce goes in the last 2 games but he was really good last night.
Harsh on Connellan- you’ve got to give b rookies more time - especially as Sandy doesn’t seem much of an academy at the minute

I’m convinced Newnes is injured and will be better next year

You only trade Dunstan if you’re confident Clark or another kid will overtake him for a place in the guts within two years. I am tbh

One of Hickey or longer stay unless we sign a ruck

7-8 changes about right. Hopefully concentrate on mid-fwds in draft

Lycett, hanners and hall and 5 mid-fwds in the draft for the new coaches to pick a balanced team from

Harsh on Connellan- you’ve got to give b rookies more time - especially as Sandy doesn’t seem much of an academy at the minute

I’m convinced Newnes is injured and will be better next year

You only trade Dunstan if you’re confident Clark or another kid will overtake him for a place in the guts within two years. I am tbh

One of Hickey or longer stay unless we sign a ruck

7-8 changes about right. Hopefully concentrate on mid-fwds in draft

Lycett, hanners and hall and 5 mid-fwds in the draft for the new coaches to pick a balanced team from

That's the whole thing though. You need to trade a player that has some talent or its not worth it.
Newnes plays on the wing , forward or backline, but we can cover his role if we don't have him.
I agree regarding Dunstan.
I'd rather keep Hickey of the two, but i'm thinking Pierce now has a chance of becoming the number one ruck. Which other kids should we send to Frankston.

What are the thoughts on considering moving Savage on?
One of our better kicks and probably best 22. But:
- Is 27, so probably not part of our charge up the ladder in a couple of years time.
- Is a rebounding HBF (one of the most important positions these days) therefore would have a few clubs consider him especially those around the finals mark
- IMO has good trade value (pick 25-40?) and allow us to get into the 2nd round.

As unpopular as it will be to some, i keep coming back to trade Ross!
Would also help us deal with the elephant in the room. Captaincy...If he stays on, will prob be made the
next captain and imo will alleviate the massive leadership issue we have! A leader he aint!
We would get a first rounder i'm pretty sure, and we can cover what he offers us pretty easily imo!

And then target a Rankine or Walsh in the draft and this will put us in a position
to go after a Shiel or Coniglio type with a trade with poss Hickey/Longer going the other way!

Find a way to get back into the 2nd round. Which shouldn't be too hard with the amount
of footballers we can offer up!
If we are hellbent on Hanneberry use next years 2nd!
And target some quality experience that can help us going forward!

Failing all that, hit the draft as hard as possible!

Last edited:
Would also help us deal with the elephant in the room. Captaincy...If he stays on, will prob be made the
next captain and imo will alleviate the massive leadership issue we have! A leader he aint!
We would get a first rounder i'm pretty sure, and we can cover what he offers us pretty easily imo!

And then target a Rankine or Walsh in the draft and this will put us in a position
to go after a Shiel or Coniglio type with a trade with poss Hickey/Longer going the other way!

Find a way to get back into the 2nd round. Which shouldn't be too hard with the amount

Why would you trade our best player? I wouldn’t and we won’t.

I agree, * him off, he's a dhs.

Don't know what a DHS is but i'm with you too bud!

And btw Mr Bryan Hogan, he aint our best player!
Far from it!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the thoughts on considering moving Savage on?
One of our better kicks and probably best 22. But:
- Is 27, so probably not part of our charge up the ladder in a couple of years time.
- Is a rebounding HBF (one of the most important positions these days) therefore would have a few clubs consider him especially those around the finals mark
- IMO has good trade value (pick 25-40?) and allow us to get into the 2nd round.
Do it in a heartbeat, as Roo commented on in Geelong game this year, he just bombs it long, very rarely to a team mate in a good position. Is a bit of a one trick pony for mine so I would take a 2nd or 3rd rounder for sure

Do it in a heartbeat, as Roo commented on in Geelong game this year, he just bombs it long, very rarely to a team mate in a good position. Is a bit of a one trick pony for mine so I would take a 2nd or 3rd rounder for sure

Yeah I thought Sav was great a few years back but Roo was right, he's just running the wing and helicoptering it as long as he can far too much these days. The rise of the 'metres gained' stat is ridiculous and obscures impact on a game since Sav's kick is almost almost >40m so most of the time will be an 'effective' disposal.

An interesting question for mine would be if GWS would take this years first (for us) plus Hickey or Longer for Shiel.

Just had a look at Nathan Wright and Darren Minchingtons career stats... can't believe these two have been on our list 6 and 7 years respectfully...

In fairness they have both had their injury issues but they would have been delisted 2-3 years ago at any other AFL Club.

Minchington played as a forward and kicked at least one goal in every one of his first 9 games. Probably a bit less than what is needed from a small forward.
His contested to non-contested possessions is unusually high as well.
Wright- Agree completely.

Anyone else concerned about the comments with respect to Wright being sent for surgery now so that he can be better prepared for pre-season....

Surely that's not our pre-season they're thinking about and we're just being nice....

Anyone else concerned about the comments with respect to Wright being sent for surgery now so that he can be better prepared for pre-season....

Surely that's not our pre-season they're thinking about and we're just being nice....
Needs a contract first.

Yeah I thought Sav was great a few years back but Roo was right, he's just running the wing and helicoptering it as long as he can far too much these days. The rise of the 'metres gained' stat is ridiculous and obscures impact on a game since Sav's kick is almost almost >40m so most of the time will be an 'effective' disposal.

An interesting question for mine would be if GWS would take this years first (for us) plus Hickey or Longer for Shiel.
that would be a trade i'd do or Coniglio

that would be a trade i'd do or Coniglio

It's an interesting one because Treloar set the 2 x first round pick standard, but we're talking Pick 3 here and a position that GWS have a need to fill. I suspect they would also look hard at Gresh + Hickey / Longer for Shiel or Coniglio but we cannot do that trade.

Would love to see it happen. If we landed either of those, and Hannebery on the (relative) cheap and he got back to some good form, our midfield would look a whole lot different. I wonder if an early second rounder for Hannebery is realistic (maybe if Sydney need to do a cap dump) but then I dunno where that early second comes from given we've traded ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back