Prediction Premature Hit List - Who will survive the end of year. ( not talking about the coach ).

Remove this Banner Ad

What I would do right now if given the reigns:

Delist/retire:

Stevens
Gilbert
Wright

Trade (expected value in brackets)

Weller (late pick/minor upgrade)
Lonie (late pick/minor upgrade)
Armitage (late pick/minor upgrade)
Dunstan (pick 25-35)
Newnes (pick 30-40)
Longer (pick 30-40)

Throw a heap of cash at any free agent who would improve our team. Get Polec. See if we can land Hannebery with a second rounder as a salary dump for Sydney.

Best case scenario for round 1 next year

B: Webster, Austin, McKenzie
HB: Coffield, Carlisle, Roberton
C: Polec, Steele, Ross
HF: Billings, Bruce, Gresham
F: Membrey, Marshall, Long

Foll: Lycett, Steven, Hannebery
Int: Acres, Sinclair, Freeman, Clark

Fringe: Geary, Hickey, McCartin, Battle, Rice, Walsh/Smith, Phillips, Pierce, White, Goddard

It's not a team that's going to make finals in 2019 but there's at least a lot more to work with than the teams being selected for most of this season.

I'm beginning to change my tune around list shake up to be a bit more conservative. I think if our older players are not in our top 10 and are not offering good leadership, then there's simply no reason to keep them around any more. If we can add a couple of old heads like McVeigh and BJ as mentors then the agenda is set.

Trade/delist/retire
Gears
Mav
Armo
Gilbo
Billy
Hickey
Minch
Wright
Koby*

Keep/trade
Sav

9 changes is enough for 1 year, and no skin lost IMO. Removing the older guys will expose Seb, Stuv, Newnes, Brucey and the like and make them stand up. If they can't do it, then we trade them next year. I think the younger boys have been let down very badly by the club and are worth keeping to see how they can grow with better support.

It sounds like Bruce is on the trade table from the ITKs. Billings possibly, Billy Longer will probably be gone, Gilbert retired, Mav to GC likely, Minch and Wright delisted.

Hickey and Armo are contracted so unlikely they will leave. Dunstan may want out as well. Koby retired. Joyce and Connellan who knows. Marshall upgraded. Lonie a one year contract.

It sounds like Bruce is on the trade table from the ITKs. Billings possibly, Billy Longer will probably be gone, Gilbert retired, Mav to GC likely, Minch and Wright delisted.

Hickey and Armo are contracted so unlikely they will leave. Dunstan may want out as well. Koby retired. Joyce and Connellan who knows. Marshall upgraded. Lonie a one year contract.
Any word on White? Why hardly looked at?

We’ll be damn stupid to trade Bruce and I’d never even consider trading Billings.

We have really missed Bruce this year, providing the link on the wings and also providing contests and bringing the ball down to our small forwards.
I would be extremely unhappy to see either of our JB’s go.

Does anyone know whether Robbo will be playing on next year?
We’ve definitely missed him too!

How many we get rid of depends largely on the coaching situation. I was all for a clean out but I'm not so sure of that anymore given we may up our coaching intel.

Must goes:
Wright
Minch
Stevens (retired)
Weller

Traded:
Longer
Hickey
Gilbert

Armo is a grey area, may be retained, may retire.

3 will come from the draft if we can get anything for our trades
How many players can we get that will improve our list from trading/recruiting? There may possibly only be about 3 or 4 max. Maybe a couple from the state leagues.

How many we get rid of depends largely on the coaching situation. I was all for a clean out but I'm not so sure of that anymore given we may up our coaching intel.

Must goes:
Wright
Minch
Stevens (retired)
Weller

Traded:
Longer
Hickey
Gilbert

Armo is a grey area, may be retained, may retire.

3 will come from the draft if we can get anything for our trades
How many players can we get that will improve our list from trading/recruiting? There may possibly only be about 3 or 4 max. Maybe a couple from the state leagues.

Yeah, the picks we have aren't great. Probably upgrade Marshall and grab a couple of older state league players. Trade and FA probably the only other way back in.

Yeah, the picks we have aren't great. Probably upgrade Marshall and grab a couple of older state league players. Trade and FA probably the only other way back in.
Everyone's talking about a super draft but realistically how good will the players be after pick 50?

Agree Trade & FA are our only hope of a good off season so I hope we are talking a bit of money to guys that will look at a contract that will see out their careers and can bring good leadership. Often taking the money is seen as a bad trait in a player but if I was a young father I'd definitely be looking at the figures offered and IMO they are the ones that may be best to support our kids.

Everyone's talking about a super draft but realistically how good will the players be after pick 50?

Agree Trade & FA are our only hope of a good off season so I hope we are talking a bit of money to guys that will look at a contract that will see out their careers and can bring good leadership. Often taking the money is seen as a bad trait in a player but if I was a young father I'd definitely be looking at the figures offered and IMO they are the ones that may be best to support our kids.

Super front end not so super back end. The super was coined when the kids playing a year up were better than last years crop. Rankine and Lukosious were pretty special.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wright, Minchington, Gilbert, Weller, Longer, Freeman & the retired Stevens.

I feel like they'll give Goddard a 1 year deal, considering they are giving Paddy time as well. They might end up promoting Marshall to the senior list and rookie list Freeman. Not sure whether Pierce is able to be re-rookied or they'll promote him too. Probably leaves 2 players to be traded in with 3 draftees.

Wright ( delist )
Gilbert ( delist)
Weller ( delist )
Longer ( trade )
Dunstan ( trade )
Hickey ( trade if Lycett signs )
Newnes ( trade )

And to think we struggled with speed from HF and shooting accuracy and this guy gets delisted...Could this kind of game not be developed? Not sure of anyone on our list, or in the comp, with that pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back