Beaumaris
St Bedes/Mentone Tigers
Old Scotch
Fitzroy
Uni Blues
Old Melburnians
St Bernards
Werribee

who will win next years flag? looking at the GF this year it would have to mean xavs and dela top 4 and defiantly st bedes with there up and coming youngsters who will tak the last spot?

who will win next years flag? looking at the GF this year it would have to mean xavs and dela top 4 and defiantly st bedes with there up and coming youngsters who will tak the last spot?

I would say any of 8-9 teams could make it next year! Scotch won't have 2 bad years in a row... OM's will only get better and better every year they stay up... Blues will always recruit well Fitzroy will improve with their second season in the top league like Beauy did... and i expect both Bernards and Werribee to do well! and should both be hard to beat at home for the 8 eastern sides! Thoughts?

2011 Ladder predictions

OX Strongest club in the comp but perennial bridesmaid in the 19s. Have lost 3 recent GF’s to De La and will be desperate to match the success of their seniors. Another strong group and better depth than last year should see them near the top.

UNI BLUES. They are very optimistic about their list this year. Heaps of talent at their disposal and if they gel early then look out. A definite threat

DE LA SALLE Powerhouse of 19s football. The last 5 GF’s in a row for 4 premierships. Some good judges rate the undefeated 2010 team as the best 19s team ever. The reign must end eventually but if they make the 4 will be a big threat. Another flag is a real possibility.

BEAUMARIS Many of the 2010 team that played finals is eligible again. Some very good players in that lot and they will be right amongst it again. They are very confident of making a big impression this year.

ST BEDES Underachieved for the talent they had last year. This group is better than 2010 with some very good additions. Believe they have recruited well and seem to benefit more than others as Sandy Dragons send a few their way. While topping up the talent this can also cause some friction with so many changes from week to week

SCOTCH A club desperate for success at any level. Regular finals appearances in recent years and ready to take the next step. Always seem to recruit well and it wouldn’t surprise to see them push for a top 4 spot.

FITZROY Apologies if this seems disrespectful but I just don’t know anything about them. The 2010 version must have been pretty good to knock off what was reportedly an extremely good Werribee side twice in the finals. My prediction is based only on recent North Division sides struggling when coming up to Premier with the last couple of teams going straight back down again. Can someone from the Roys give us some insight please?

UNI BLACKS Just a guess really. Believe they were decimated by injury last year that really tested their depth. A good result for the club to stay in Premier otherwise all the talent might have deserted them for the Blues. The mail is they have recruited well.

OLD BRIGHTON I hear that quite a few of last years South 1 premiership side are eligible again but that numbers are an issue. Have some real talent but depth might be a problem.

OLD MELBOURNE Some very big pre-season wraps on them last year - mostly from their own, but they never really got going. Relied heavily on 2 or 3 players. Will post some wins but I don’t expect they will threaten

The above was my pre-season ladder prediction posted on 28th March 2011. I’ll give myslef 8/10 for picking the Premiers, 3 of the 4 finalists and getting quite a few close to the correct finishing order. I got it horribly wrong on Uni Blues and deserve a slap for that one. Was seduced by their practice match form. Bad mistake. I also called Hugh Nicholson for comp B & F on the 23rd March so will give myself a bonus points for that one. He could realistically go back to back as he is eligible again next year but will surely play seniors.

Way to early to make any sort of call on 2012. From out point of view (De La) absolutely wrapped with our season, especially as the seniors predicament saw plenty of our boys playing seniors, which was a bit disruptive to the 19s. Certainly did not expect to lose Humphrey and Todd for the entire season but both those boys excelled at senior level. Tough to have your 2 best missing all year however you are judged on who plays, not who doesn’t. On paper we were far weaker then the previous two season but the coach had them playing as a team and they nearly got there again. Xavs just to good on the day and deserved the flag. Reckon our depth next year will be better and overall we will be stronger but not going to make any outlandish predictions at this early stage. Xavs always strong and St Bedes had some excellent youngsters and a very good U17 side. They will be right up there. Werribee have been building momentum as a club for several years but their 19s have been runners up 2 years in a row. They will be hungry and I’m expecting big things from them in 2012. Will keep an ear to the ground and post a predictive ladder down the track.

Would be good to have some posters from other clubs give an insight on how they are shaping up in 2012. Has to be better than blokes just taking pot shots each other and their clubs.

2012 predictions (ruff ladder)

GF - Dela v's Blues
Prem - Dela

Old Melburnians & St Bernards Gone

De La Salle - quality side, depth a concern but right age group
Old Xaverians - as above maybe a few more top age than Dela this year
Uni Blues - Big improvers given blacks have gone down (new coach??)
St Bedes/Mentone Tigers - soild again just struggle away from home
Old Scotch - as above

Think the bottom 5 will be a fair way off it next year as follows

Fitzroy - will surprise enough clubs again next year to stay up
Werribee - hard to know but is always a difficlut first year up in Prem look to be the class div below
Beaumaris - biggest fall, loose a few key players and dont have the depth of Xavs / Dela
Old Melburnians - Will struggle again need change of coach (IMO)
St Bernards - hard to know but is always a difficlut first year up in Prem

2012 predictions (ruff ladder)

GF - Dela v's Blues
Prem - Dela

Old Melburnians & St Bernards Gone

De La Salle - quality side, depth a concern but right age group
Old Xaverians - as above maybe a few more top age than Dela this year
Uni Blues - Big improvers given blacks have gone down (new coach??)
St Bedes/Mentone Tigers - soild again just struggle away from home
Old Scotch - as above

Think the bottom 5 will be a fair way off it next year as follows

Fitzroy - will surprise enough clubs again next year to stay up
Werribee - hard to know but is always a difficlut first year up in Prem look to be the class div below
Beaumaris - biggest fall, loose a few key players and dont have the depth of Xavs / Dela
Old Melburnians - Will struggle again need change of coach (IMO)
St Bernards - hard to know but is always a difficlut first year up in Prem

Appreciate the input Cosmo. Good to see some others offering up some thoughts.

Tough call on St Bernards however. Had been a Premier grade team for years. Grand finalist in 2007 (runners up to De La) and then relegated the following season in a very even year. Those who follow ACC football will know that St Bernards are always strong and very hard to beat at the ‘snake pit’. Remember they have a good junior feeder club with teams in all age groups including 17s and 18s. Seniors have just got promoted to 'A' section, which is also an attraction. They will be in Premier 19s for many years to come.

Appreciate the input Cosmo. Good to see some others offering up some thoughts.

Tough call on St Bernards however. Had been a Premier grade team for years. Grand finalist in 2007 (runners up to De La) and then relegated the following season in a very even year. Those who follow ACC football will know that St Bernards are always strong and very hard to beat at the ‘snake pit’. Remember they have a good junior feeder club with teams in all age groups including 17s and 18s. Seniors have just got promoted to 'A' section, which is also an attraction. They will be in Premier 19s for many years to come.

Fair call I only have a handle on Prem in the last 3 years so as I said I'm guessing a bit on St Bernards and Werribee (agree the seniors in A will help attact good kids) your turning me around on this... They may both saved by some sides really slidding next year!

Due to the 2011 thread being closed - I will celebrate in the 2012 forum!!!

Woweeee - Apologies for my absence ......its been a big week or two , you know with premierships and all that...

One slice of humble pie for a few posters ......(saha) !!

Rooster - Please inform me if the double has been done before , I know De La twos won a flag from fourth a few years back , but did the premier side win that year as well??

A brilliant season for the red and black !!

With 30 Premiership players going around again - Watch Out !!!

Due to the 2011 thread being closed - I will celebrate in the 2012 forum!!!

Woweeee - Apologies for my absence ......its been a big week or two , you know with premierships and all that...

One slice of humble pie for a few posters ......(saha) !!

Rooster - Please inform me if the double has been done before , I know De La twos won a flag from fourth a few years back , but did the premier side win that year as well??

A brilliant season for the red and black !!

With 30 Premiership players going around again - Watch Out !!!

Sorry could not answer one . The year De La 2s won the first team were runners up. As very few clubs have 2 x U19s I would suggest it would be a rare occurrence but with only a couple of clubs having the opportunity to do the ‘double’ it probably does not have much significance. A good effort all the same. With the fluctuating nature of the lists I don’t know that any U19 Premier club has ever made 6 GF’s in a row either. Credit to Xavs also for making 3 in a row.

Big jump in quality from South 2 to Premier so the fact that your second side was premiers does not guarantee success in 2012. If a good number of the Premier team are eligible again then that is a different story. Surely Xavs seniors will have to look at some of your young blokes now. The best Xavs 19s team I have seen recently was the 2009 version but few went on to play seniors. They seem reluctant to play young blokes although in fairness with the recent strength and depth of the club they have not really had to. Would have thought a number from this year would have been given an opportunity. Think St Bedes had something like 5 eligible U19s playing in the ‘A’ section GF last weekend. A great effort.

Would be good to see some other clubs figure more prominently next year. Can anyone see a team coming from out of the blue to challenge the Xavs, De La, St Bedes and Beauy?

Sorry could not answer one . The year De La 2s won the first team were runners up. As very few clubs have 2 x U19s I would suggest it would be a rare occurrence but with only a couple of clubs having the opportunity to do the ‘double’ it probably does not have much significance. A good effort all the same. With the fluctuating nature of the lists I don’t know that any U19 Premier club has ever made 6 GF’s in a row either. Credit to Xavs also for making 3 in a row.

Big jump in quality from South 2 to Premier so the fact that your second side was premiers does not guarantee success in 2012. If a good number of the Premier team are eligible again then that is a different story. Surely Xavs seniors will have to look at some of your young blokes now. The best Xavs 19s team I have seen recently was the 2009 version but few went on to play seniors. They seem reluctant to play young blokes although in fairness with the recent strength and depth of the club they have not really had to. Would have thought a number from this year would have been given an opportunity. Think St Bedes had something like 5 eligible U19s playing in the ‘A’ section GF last weekend. A great effort.

Would be good to see some other clubs figure more prominently next year. Can anyone see a team coming from out of the blue to challenge the Xavs, De La, St Bedes and Beauy?

Not much is a given in Life Rooster - But hey think the Xavs have things under control....

Thoughts of 2011 team? Dont know half the players in the side. Any lucky/unlucky players? Any to watch in the future?

I can't understand why Williamstown CYMS hasn't been mentioned in U19 Premier.
Runners up in the U18s (to Rupertswood) in an extremely high quality game, having beaten sides mentioned by 'experts' as St Bernards, Oakleigh and Werribee, all having been mentioned as 'certs' in Premier 19s.

Runners up in the U18s (to Rupertswood) in an extremely high quality game, having beaten sides mentioned by 'experts' as St Bernards, Oakleigh and Werribee, all having been mentioned as 'certs' in Premier 19s.

because thats not how u19 Premier works.... you have to earn your way up through making the grand final in u19 section 2....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your comments Seaside ... From what I have seen the difference between 18's to Under 19's Premier is quite large. The best thing Willi can do is have a team in the 19's and come through the grades just like every other side has.

Seaside you don’t seem to understand the concept. The difference between U18s and U19 Premier is extreme. St Bernards and Werribee use the U18 comp as their second underage team so their best U18s are actually playing in the U19s. For Willy and Rupo (and Oakleigh this year) the 18s are their only team. St Bernards and Werribee already have strong U19 teams that played off for the B grade U19 flag in 2011.

If Willy were to enter a 19s on the back of their U18 team this season they would probably start in North 2 or maybe North 1 if you can convince the VAFA they are as good as what you say.

Full credit to your club if you want to join the 19s comp but believe me you dont want to start in Premier division.

If Willy were to enter a 19s on the back of their U18 team this season they would probably start in North 2 or maybe North 1 if you can convince the VAFA they are as good as what you say.

Full credit to your club if you want to join the 19s comp but believe me you dont want to start in Premier division. [/quote]

Thanks Thredders

Now that you have cleared that up, I can relax, enjoy the break, and then start looking forward to next year.

After stepping down at the end of the 2011 season I hear that Uni Blues have managed to persuade last years U19s coach to take the reins for another season. RFS - can you confirm or deny?

Any other news from 19 Premier? Can OX go back to back? Will De La win their 6th flag since 2004? And what of the 2 new sides coming up? St Bernards were a strong 19 Premier team for many years and the word is they look the goods for 2012. Also hear that St Bedes expect to put up a strong showing next year also.

As usual Rooster you are the man with the finger on the pulse of all things 19's Premier Section :cool: !

Hopefully the draw comes out before Christmas and we can get an idea who is first to make the trek out to Werribee to take on the new boys in Premier. From memory I believe they were in Section 1 going back but that was a long time ago.

Any ladder predictions this early are wasted posts I reckon !

This is a part of the annual report from the outgoing St. Bedes coach ...

"Premier U’19 football should
assume a greater platform on game day and be the curtain raiser to the senior match. With
the VAFA struggling to understand who they really are in the Victorian football world, as they
fumble around a mandate of participation, the Premier U’19 competition can be a very
complimentary element of the elite junior pathway program, encapsulating the overflow of
players who do not get picked to play TAC Cup football"

Comments ?

assume a greater platform on game day and be the curtain raiser to the senior match. With
the VAFA struggling to understand who they really are in the Victorian football world, as they
fumble around a mandate of participation, the Premier U’19 competition can be a very
complimentary element of the elite junior pathway program, encapsulating the overflow of

Comments ?

A little bit Jerry Maguire for mine, it's a great idea but will never happen. Half a dozen games a year would be classed as a 'complementry element of elite junior pathway'.

I could not think of anything worse than watching a powerhouse Premier team absolutely murder a struggling team as the curtain raiser to the main game. Imagine turning up to watch Brighton each week before their ones??

Maybe play premier division double headers at Elsternwick every Saturday.

Comments ?

Good the see the SBMT coach prepared to go on the record with these strong opinions. While Premier 19s is a great comp I believe that the reserves are still the most appropriate grade to play as the curtain raiser. Plenty of very good players running around in Premier 2s. Maybe involve the 19s in more triple headers.

How good is U19 Premier? It ebbs and flows from year to year but RFS you would have witnessed first hand how good the undefeated 2010 De La version was. A couple of lads turned their back on TAC clubs to play in that team and we had the ridiculous situation of returning TAC regulars having to play in our 2nd U19 team as they were not in the best 24. Have seen a lot of U19s and junior footy over many years and they are clearly a stand out for mine. While I don’t think you see teams as dominant as that too often the standard is generally excellent.

However it does seem to dominated by just a handful of clubs. De La and Xavs primarily with Beauy, Scotch and St Bedes thereabouts in recent times. Would be good to see some new clubs featuring come September. St Bernard’s, Werribee and Uni Blues my dark horses his year.

Good the see the SBMT coach prepared to go on the record with these strong opinions. While Premier 19s is a great comp I believe that the reserves are still the most appropriate grade to play as the curtain raiser. Plenty of very good players running around in Premier 2s. Maybe involve the 19s in more triple headers.

How good is U19 Premier? It ebbs and flows from year to year but RFS you would have witnessed first hand how good the undefeated 2010 De La version was. A couple of lads turned their back on TAC clubs to play in that team and we had the ridiculous situation of returning TAC regulars having to play in our 2nd U19 team as they were not in the best 24. Have seen a lot of U19s and junior footy over many years and they are clearly a stand out for mine. While I don’t think you see teams as dominant as that too often the standard is generally excellent.

However it does seem to dominated by just a handful of clubs. De La and Xavs primarily with Beauy, Scotch and St Bedes thereabouts in recent times. Would be good to see some new clubs featuring come September. St Bernard’s, Werribee and Uni Blues my dark horses his year.

I do think that Des' (*SMBT Ex Coach) idea has some merit. We have played SBMT at 9:20 before and the playing group struggled on these occasions. So I am not 100% sure about the early starts. Its makes it harder for the helpers to get the game earlier than normal. Saying this it would be great to coach the boys on the main oval at Uni more than twice a year.

The De la team of 2010 was exceptional with the depth that the team had which was far superior to every other team running around that year. You mention about TAC kids playing seconds sides. We have had kids from VFL lists come back and play 19's footy for teams like Scotch and Beauy. This can be due to several factors. The senior side doesn't rate the player or they have been dropped to the Unders to get some form. I hold the belief that the comp is the best standard away from the TAC for under age players.

In regards to predictions I feel that all teams will be super competitive and there will be no easy games i.e. Old Brighton in 2011. Werribee have a great nursery of talent coming though and should be in the mix comes finals times. We played St.Bernards last year in a practice game and they were impressive with their running ability. They would have been a better side than Old Brighton if they had swapped spots in the different comps.

Interesting times ahead ... Only 4 months to go :)

Great idea God Yeah ! Lets hope that the VAFA read the forum.

It would make my forward scouting a lot easier if there was 2 games at Sportscover :cool:

Forward scouts in U19 football, now that's being really well organised.
How many clubs would employ forward scouts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back