A Section Premier 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chip on my shoulder? Perhaps Brian and yes we were on the end of some beltings in my day, particularly from the Catholics!

GB did famously say over a few chardonnays last summer that he wants to be around to take us to A grade. Your mail is good.

Also watch this space for another recently delisted AFL cat to join us for 2017-momentum is building.

I am still trying to work out why I am not from OGGS? FWIW gone to ground yet again.

Xavs in the big one-surely one can't support an AGS club?

FWIW yep I go to ground every time you deny not being an OGGER. Going to be a big hole Bob.......

I am with OTs on Sunday, well drilled, well coached, freshened up and desperate to make amends. Let's hope for another cracker like last year.

I'll look out for you on Sunday Captain, I imagine you will be standing next to your Football Director!

Chip on my shoulder? Perhaps Brian and yes we were on the end of some beltings in my day, particularly from the Catholics!

GB did famously say over a few chardonnays last summer that he wants to be around to take us to A grade. Your mail is good.

Also watch this space for another recently delisted AFL cat to join us for 2017-momentum is building.

I am still trying to work out why I am not from OGGS? FWIW gone to ground yet again.

Xavs in the big one-surely one can't support an AGS club?

Xavs in a close one to make it a triple treat on the day.....and order to be restored.

OT will be a worthy winner too!

Xavs in a close one to make it a triple treat on the day.....and order to be restored.

OT will be a worthy winner too!
It's OT's to lose IMO, will run OX off their feet, their 2nd semi win was brutal in execution. Gabe Hamilton also a huge in, whilst Shaw will be found out playing with a strained hammy on that big ground.

Xavs by 40. Shaws hammy 25% better than last week when he was one of the best on ground.
10 sausage rolls between Goss and Chopper. Wynne BOG.
I feel a little sorry for one of the Xavs Thirds who will not feel the joy of the other three Xavs teams.
Will be great day.

FWIW yep I go to ground every time you deny not being an OGGER. Going to be a big hole Bob.......

I am with OTs on Sunday, well drilled, well coached, freshened up and desperate to make amends. Let's hope for another cracker like last year.

I'll look out for you on Sunday Captain, I imagine you will be standing next to your Football Director!

Yep .. That's exactly what you have done . Drop the allegation then hide when any sort of logic is required.

I might be standing closer than you think !!

If you add up the number of grand finals in total the umpires panel appointed for the William Buck Grand Final, there are just 10 grand final appearances between them. Possibly the least experienced group of umpires to control an A Section/William Buck Premier Grand Final, a far cry from the days when the most experienced umpires like ie Mark Gibson, Steve McCarthy or Wayne Hinton will take charge of the biggest game of the year on the VAFA calendar.
It seems the powers-that-be are disposed to the youngsters. Not necessarily a bad thing of itself mind you, providing the merit principle is the overriding consideration.

The consistently best field umpire I saw this year is older and doing the Prem ‘B’ GF. And by far the best goal umpire in my view is doing the Prem ‘C’ GF.

I’d suggest the youth policy might just be the pre-eminent one at present. Good luck to them all.

Macca was the best in his day. Grossly underrated. Great communicator, knew the importance of positioning, liked by the players and not afraid to fess-up to the odd error. Ah, the good old days.:)

Go Scribes boys on Sunday.

It seems the powers-that-be are disposed to the youngsters. Not necessarily a bad thing of itself mind you, providing the merit principle is the overriding consideration.

The consistently best field umpire I saw this year is older and doing the Prem ‘B’ GF. And by far the best goal umpire in my view is doing the Prem ‘C’ GF.

I’d suggest the youth policy might just be the pre-eminent one at present. Good luck to them all.

Macca was the best in his day. Grossly underrated. Great communicator, knew the importance of positioning, liked by the players and not afraid to fess-up to the odd error. Ah, the good old days.:)

Would love to have Macca every week.

They were a long way off the mark Chaz. The player who came 2nd in the MVP and who is favoured to win his club B&F polled 2 votes from the umpires. He is hardly an unknown as he been R’up in the MVP every year since its inception and believe he already has a couple of club B&Fs to his name. They simply don’t acknowledge key defenders or forwards. No slight on the umpires as the reality is they have a more important function than giving out votes. Just dilutes the value of the award for mine. And how Penberthy only polled 10 has me stuffed.

It is what it is – a midfielder’s award that can only be on by a specific type of player. Having said that more than happy Williams won it. A fabulous player and a great young kid.

No they weren't way off. The Woodrow medallist came 3rd in the MVP.

They also only have 3 votes vs the 5. That's 66% more votes that the coaches get to give away.

The winner of the MVP was a midfielder and so was the winner of the Woodrow. You could say any general footballing award is a midfielder award, it's been that way since the dawn of time.

I don't think umpires are ever going to give votes for negative impacts... "Hey I hardly saw Gossy get a possession today and he didn't kick a goal, better give his opponent the 3 then"

What do you want them to do Rooster?

No they weren't way off. The Woodrow medallist came 3rd in the MVP.

They also only have 3 votes vs the 5. That's 66% more votes that the coaches get to give away.

The winner of the MVP was a midfielder and so was the winner of the Woodrow. You could say any general footballing award is a midfielder award, it's been that way since the dawn of time.

I don't think umpires are ever going to give votes for negative impacts... "Hey I hardly saw Gossy get a possession today and he didn't kick a goal, better give his opponent the 3 then"

What do you want them to do Rooster?

Think your missing my point Chaz. I’m actually defending the umpires as they have a far more important task at hand to worry about than giving votes. Stands to reason they will give votes to those who are under their nose all day. No drama with that, however this is probably the reason that club B&F’s are held in far higher esteem than those relying on umpire votes. Still find it extraordinary that the player who came 2nd in the MVP and will likely win our club B&F gets 2 Woodrow votes. Penberthy polled 16 less votes than the Woodrow winner. Just can’t fathom that one either.

By general footballing award I assume you are not referring to club B&F’s?

Last edited:
If you add up the number of grand finals in total the umpires panel appointed for the William Buck Grand Final, there are just 10 grand final appearances between them. Possibly the least experienced group of umpires to control an A Section/William Buck Premier Grand Final, a far cry from the days when the most experienced umpires like ie Mark Gibson, Steve McCarthy or Wayne Hinton will take charge of the biggest game of the year on the VAFA calendar.

I would argue strongly that experience isn't the only thing you should be looking for in an umpire, particularly with the way high grade VAFA footy is played these days. However, given experience is what you're concerned about:

The A section/William Buck Premier Grand Final Panel 2016:

2 x VAFA Grand Final appearances.

To go along with:

At least 5 x VFL Senior Finals (Semi/Prelim) appearances
At least 2 x VFL Development league Grand Finals
At least 1 x VFL TAC Cup Grand Final.
Over 130 VFL Senior matches.

This goes with the grand finals these gentlemen have officiated in other local leagues.

Does VFL time not count?

These boys ARE the new Gibbo, McCarthy and Chuck of the VAFA. And the best part? They were pushed by the umpires in B grade all the way to get their ticket for the big dance.

Time moves On.... its 2016 not 1994 !!!

While the umpiring is not of AFL standard (neither is the football or the football players mind you) To say that the A grade panel on sunday is the least experienced in a long time is harsh,

2 of the three have done 150 & 100odd games in the VFL each and im lead to believe the other is off to the VFL soon... BUT the point that the older guys should be the ones doing the bigger games is not right... The best person (umpire or player that is) should get the gig ..

Personally id still love to see the likes of Rambo and Blood running around this weekend for there two clubs BUT no way in hell either on them would be able to perform the way they once did.. and I bet the same goes for the umps from back in the day, Time moves on .. change is not good or bad its just change and the umpiring department are just going into a new generation the same way my club and other clubs are atm

Good luck to both clubs and I hope my lot get up on Saturday at EP

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time moves On.... its 2016 not 1994 !!!

While the umpiring is not of AFL standard (neither is the football or the football players mind you) To say that the A grade panel on sunday is the least experienced in a long time is harsh,

2 of the three have done 150 & 100odd games in the VFL each and im lead to believe the other is off to the VFL soon... BUT the point that the older guys should be the ones doing the bigger games is not right... The best person (umpire or player that is) should get the gig ..

Personally id still love to see the likes of Rambo and Blood running around this weekend for there two clubs BUT no way in hell either on them would be able to perform the way they once did.. and I bet the same goes for the umps from back in the day, Time moves on .. change is not good or bad its just change and the umpiring department are just going into a new generation the same way my club and other clubs are atm

Good luck to both clubs and I hope my lot get up on Saturday at EP
You have managed to conflate what I wrote with that of another poster.

While it's good to see young umpires finally getting a chance to show what they can do on the biggest day of the year in the VAFA, it's hard to understand why the VAFAUA selection panel should have done it much earlier (ie when Tim Sutcliffe and Richard Eastwood did 3 straight A Section Grand Finals several years ago). It's no good picking the same names year in year out to do the A Section Grand Final, because most of the younger umpires might be wondering when are they going to do the biggest appointment of the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Day!!!
Crazy night last night finalising and printing all the 'Triple Treat' caps and t-shirts.
A lot of fun on the back of t-shirt.
Triple Threats..with an image of a 1's player singing, a 2's player dancing and 3's player acting.
Bring it on!!

Big Day!!!
Crazy night last night finalising and printing all the 'Triple Treat' caps and t-shirts.
Triple Threats..with an image of a 1's player singing, a 2's player dancing and 3's player acting.
Bring it on!!

For a Carey old boy you sure are very excited about a Xavs GF.

Big Day!!!
Bring it on!!
The idiot trying his hand at some humour.

Not his best work.

The idiot trying his hand at some humour.

Not his best work.

From you, I'm taking that as almost a compliment. Sure you included the idiot part again...but by only saying it wasn't my best work...you clearly didn't say it was my worst work.
It might just be me, but im sensing an olive branch of sorts.

Grand Finals. There are 3 Rooster.
Allegiance is a funny thing. Perhaps the school tie just no longer fits.

No. There’s only one. Hope your old school mob do better in B grade. They really need past students to stick fat, not jump off and pretend to follow powerhouse clubs.

For loyal club people the tie always fits.

No. There’s only one. Hope your old school mob do better in B grade. They really need past students to stick fat, not jump off and pretend to follow powerhouse clubs.

There are three Rooster.
A good clubman does not narrow things down to the top 22 players only.
Respect through all teams!
I also hope that Carey can bounce straight back up. I feel we are both cheering for the same team here.
Loyalty can be measured in many ways. I feel very comfortable with mine.

Half Time in the Ressies Big Dance.
Blues 3.0.18
Xavs 0.6.6
It's ugly.
Xavs wasteful. Need the first in the 3rd otherwise it may slip away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back