B Section Premier B 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill tip these too please.
What money Ajax and Mazenod to drop?
Monash look GONE to me. Play Caulfield, Bernards and Carey in last three games. So the round 16 away game against AJAX becomes vital. I'd be tipping the home team in that game - the winner of that game probably stays up. AJAX play Carey, Blues, Parkdale (away), Bernards.

Mazenod play Parkdale, Hailebury, Caulfield, Blacks. Are clearly struggling for players and were demoralised yesterday. Can't see them winning another game, so would be favoured to drop in my view.

Interesting to see the nodders rolled out a full clubbies side and had a win if the team sheet on the web is to be believed.
As an ex clubbies coach myself I know how hard it is to convince blokes to go up and help the 2s etc. (I nearly once had to go out and play 2s at Bernard’s myself one year) and not sure of the set up at mazenod but surely you pluck a few out of threes to help the ‘main’ sides? Seems strange to me

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mazenod single point today against Bernards was a rushed behind at about the 24 minute mark of Q4. Just a monster performance from Bernards. Mazenod clearly undermanned but Bernards were very impressive.

FWIW this is staggering to think that this has happened. The gap between the top half of B and the rest of the VAFA competition is now the size of the grand canyon. Sad

FWIW this is staggering to think that this has happened. The gap between the top half of B and the rest of the VAFA competition is now the size of the grand canyon. Sad

In recent years some seriously strong teams have been relegated from ‘A’ grade. Two up two down is great but in recent times many of those coming down have had either or both ‘A’ quality ressies/depth and decent U19s well beyond what most B grade clubs can muster.

As I posted on the ‘A’ grade forum yesterday there will be a club playing B grade in 2019 that will have likely missed playing Premier finals by 1 or 2 games. Of the 5 clubs in the relegation conversation 4 have very strong ressies and several have multiple 19s, including teams in 19 Premier. Unless something changes the chasm will exist next year as well.

In recent years some seriously strong teams have been relegated from ‘A’ grade. Two up two down is great but in recent times many of those coming down have had either or both ‘A’ quality ressies/depth and decent U19s well beyond what most B grade clubs can muster.

As I posted on the ‘A’ grade forum yesterday there will be a club playing B grade in 2019 that will have likely missed playing Premier finals by 1 or 2 games. Of the 5 clubs in the relegation conversation 4 have very strong ressies and several have multiple 19s, including teams in 19 Premier. Unless something changes the chasm will exist next year as well.

Correct. Be scary to see Xavs in B grade for example. Their ressies and premier unders sit top of the ladder. Their premier unders beat SKOB by 200 points yesterday. So safe to say they have some young talent coming through.

Should it be one up one down?

nope. this is a positive for the VAFA. Take this grade as an example. In all likelihood both Caulfield and Haileybury will stay up, and the same applied to Premier. Also considering the large number of grades it is not feasible to do one up one down.

Last edited:

There will be many varied opinions on this and plenty of pros and cons for both. There is no doubt that it keeps the season alive for clubs and creates fewer dead rubbers. My own club is fighting for survival in ‘A’ grade and it certainly creates interest every week when it may not otherwise have been the case.

Personally I have always struggled with the concept of being rewarded for coming second and would prefer the premier and bottom team only being promoted and relegated. However my view does tend to waiver and it’s hard to argue against some of the obvious advantages of the two-up two-down policy.

There will be many varied opinions on this and plenty of pros and cons for both. There is no doubt that it keeps the season alive for clubs and creates fewer dead rubbers. My own club is fighting for survival in ‘A’ grade and it certainly creates interest every week when it may not otherwise have been the case.

Personally I have always struggled with the concept of being rewarded for coming second and would prefer the premier and bottom team only being promoted and relegated. However my view does tend to waiver and it’s hard to argue against some of the obvious advantages of the two-up two-down policy.
What if a club comes second and they don't want to be promoted. Those clubs that get promoted unless they have good depth in reserves and 19's or can attract some talent, usually end up the whipping boys for the next year.

Correct. Be scary to see Xavs in B grade for example. Their ressies and premier unders sit top of the ladder. Their premier unders beat SKOB by 200 points yesterday. So safe to say they have some young talent coming through.

19s are somewhat compromised as most of the elite unders are playing seniors but I take your point and the thought of Xavs playing in B grade is terrifying. Their 2s would roll a few senior grade B grade clubs !

It goes beyond just Xavs. De La sitting 2nd in Prem reserve and Prem 19s. OMs and Scotch have decent ressies with Scotch also having 2 x U19s team with their Prem 19s a lock to play finals. St Bedes have less depth but their top end is exceptional.

If (and it’s always a matter of if) these clubs retain most of their list they would sit comfortably at the pointy end and roll through most B grade clubs just as Bernies, Carey and Blacks have done.

What if a club comes second and they don't want to be promoted. Those clubs that get promoted unless they have good depth in reserves and 19's or can attract some talent, usually end up the whipping boys for the next year.
How would 1 up 1 down change that? The same happens in the NFL and the EFL where there is one up one down, except instead of a side getting the chance to test themselves it tends to be the same sides who perennially just avoid relegation and struggle to score against the best. It doesnt tend to create any closer divisions as a rule. In addition,
In the VAFA it would mean that a D4 side would probably take 15 plus years to get into the higher grades, considering it would be pretty unbelievable to win 7 flags in a row. Of our current crop, it is not that long ago that Fitzroy, Old Carey, Mazenod, Uni Blacks, Parkdale, St Bedes Mentone and St Kevins were at least several grades lower. In a couple of those cases, teams were in the bottom grade. A one up one down solution would likely not have allowed their exciting rise through the grades

19s are somewhat compromised as most of the elite unders are playing seniors but I take your point and the thought of Xavs playing in B grade is terrifying. Their 2s would roll a few senior grade B grade clubs !

It goes beyond just Xavs. De La sitting 2nd in Prem reserve and Prem 19s. OMs and Scotch have decent ressies with Scotch also having 2 x U19s team with their Prem 19s a lock to play finals. St Bedes have less depth but their top end is exceptional.

If (and it’s always a matter of if) these clubs retain most of their list they would sit comfortably at the pointy end and roll through most B grade clubs just as Bernies, Carey and Blacks have done.
Without doubt there’s a few sides in B who are really struggling at the minute. And a few coasting at the top too. Don’t think there’s any need to have a knee jerk reaction to this, it’s just footy. Things turn pretty quick for better or worse, sometimes with only 2 or 3 players making the difference. I would also remind you that as recently as last season Carey were not flash and Bernard’s were just ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Speaking of comebacks from ex AFL players, the Caulfield Thirds had a handy recruit in A.McQualter who helped them keep pace with the undefeated De La for 3 quarters......still got beat again though.

Ajax Thirds look to have folded, while Monash is still fielding 2 Thirds teams. Based on depth I'd say Monash will stay up at the expense of Mazenod & Ajax.

Reckon we'll know after Rd 17, as the bottom 3 play the top 3 in rd 18.

Interesting to see the nodders rolled out a full clubbies side and had a win if the team sheet on the web is to be believed.
As an ex clubbies coach myself I know how hard it is to convince blokes to go up and help the 2s etc. (I nearly once had to go out and play 2s at Bernard’s myself one year) and not sure of the set up at mazenod but surely you pluck a few out of threes to help the ‘main’ sides? Seems strange to me
On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think you'll find the Clubbies are looking to play finals.

There are a couple of interesting fixtures this week. Beaumaris against St Bernards may show us if we are going to see a true battle between four, rather than three. The Sharks have been travelling very nicely, and are well drilled, fit, have plenty of top end players, and very few injuries. I am not sure they will beat St Bernards, in-fact i think the Doggies will win comfortably, however it would not surprise me at all to see a repeat of this fixture on Grand Final day.
The other interesting game is obviously Mazenod v Parkdale. Parkdale are a lot better than their win tally suggests. They have tested most of the top sides for 3-4 quarters before falling away, and will surely remove themselves from the relegation battle this week, however at home and with the opportunity to sneak clear of Monash, OH and Ajax, expect Mazenod to throw everything at the Vultures and an 'upset' would not surprise.

Tips:
St Bernards to be too strong, but far closer this week than last; 43 pts
Old Carey seem to struggle against Ajax small running game, but should still salute by 40 odd as well
Parkdale by 9pts in the close one
Caulfield by 8 goals
Uni Blacks by 6 goals, though are missing a few, so OH may be the other chance of a big upset. The double chance still beckons for Blacks though, as both they and OC have Beaumaris, so surely not?

There are a couple of interesting fixtures this week. Beaumaris against St Bernards may show us if we are going to see a true battle between four, rather than three. The Sharks have been travelling very nicely, and are well drilled, fit, have plenty of top end players, and very few injuries. I am not sure they will beat St Bernards, in-fact i think the Doggies will win comfortably, however it would not surprise me at all to see a repeat of this fixture on Grand Final day.
The other interesting game is obviously Mazenod v Parkdale. Parkdale are a lot better than their win tally suggests. They have tested most of the top sides for 3-4 quarters before falling away, and will surely remove themselves from the relegation battle this week, however at home and with the opportunity to sneak clear of Monash, OH and Ajax, expect Mazenod to throw everything at the Vultures and an 'upset' would not surprise.

Tips:
St Bernards to be too strong, but far closer this week than last; 43 pts
Old Carey seem to struggle against Ajax small running game, but should still salute by 40 odd as well
Parkdale by 9pts in the close one
Caulfield by 8 goals
Uni Blacks by 6 goals, though are missing a few, so OH may be the other chance of a big upset. The double chance still beckons for Blacks though, as both they and OC have Beaumaris, so surely not?

Nice write up!
Snowdogs
Panthers
Parkdale
Caulfield
Blacks...
for me as well.
Agree that Beauy are a big threat come finals. Whilst Snowdogs are clear front runners, the first semi is a 50/50 game for me.
That’s why finishing second is so important. That double chance.
If Carey can have some big wins against teams like AJAX and Monash and improve their % gap over Blacks even more, they can drop a game to Beauy coming home and still finish second. That’s what made last weeks game so important.
Blacks need to push hard for some 10 goal plus wins. Won’t see Ernest again from what my VFL spies tell me. But expect Richardson and Mahon to get back.
Mazenod v Parkdale will be a ripper. I’m sure Mazenod will put in a better performance, but agree that that Vultures are stronger and should stamp their B Grade 2019 ticket this weekend.

Nice write up!
Snowdogs
Panthers
Parkdale
Caulfield
Blacks...
for me as well.
Agree that Beauy are a big threat come finals. Whilst Snowdogs are clear front runners, the first semi is a 50/50 game for me.
That’s why finishing second is so important. That double chance.
If Carey can have some big wins against teams like AJAX and Monash and improve their % gap over Blacks even more, they can drop a game to Beauy coming home and still finish second. That’s what made last weeks game so important.
Blacks need to push hard for some 10 goal plus wins. Won’t see Ernest again from what my VFL spies tell me. But expect Richardson and Mahon to get back.
Mazenod v Parkdale will be a ripper. I’m sure Mazenod will put in a better performance, but agree that that Vultures are stronger and should stamp their B Grade 2019 ticket this weekend.
Bernards - by 14 points. Beauie at home will be a close contest.
Carey easily - and expect Dickson to pay his 3rd game as Port Melb has a bye....but doubtful he will qualify for finals
Parkdale by 30 points
Caulfield by 40 points
Blacks by 60 points

Bernards - by 14 points. Beauie at home will be a close contest.
Carey easily - and expect Dickson to pay his 3rd game as Port Melb has a bye....but doubtful he will qualify for finals
Parkdale by 30 points
Caulfield by 40 points
Blacks by 60 points
Casey the bye too? This would bring Lok in for Mazenod.

Snow Dogs to get it done on over the Sharks
Panthers will punish the Jackas
Vultures in a huge game against the Nodders
Caulfield at home will account for Monash
Blacks by a fair way against the Bloods (The Reserves will be a massacre)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back