B Section Premier B 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sharks v Bedes upset looming plus milestone events could get them home.
Skotch fig jams V Blacks too good, figs in trouble.
Monash V Hailabury - Monash were pathetic after half time last week, putrid.
Vultures V Caulfield- from all accounts this could get ugly, is Blow Job playing ?
Geelong
v Roys - Home ground only.

No Problems for " the figs". No Bull, Jamieson, Franetic, Mckinley with a host more in the best 22 missing. Ominous signs come the pointy end of the season.

Team in focus...Bloods!
What’s up with these guys? Unlike other APS clubs, seem to really struggle to get depth. Ressies were 0-18 last year. 0-7 this year with a % of 10. Have kicked 4 goals in last 4 weeks in ressies, whilst having 110 kicked against them. Unders are 0-6.
Won a C Grade flag a few years back. Seem to still have the key players from
last year there. Have Ward, Loewe and Seccull as coaching group. What’s up?
Anyone got some Hail goss?

Team in focus...Bloods!
What’s up with these guys? Unlike other APS clubs, seem to really struggle to get depth. Ressies were 0-18 last year. 0-7 this year with a % of 10. Have kicked 4 goals in last 4 weeks in ressies, whilst having 110 kicked against them. Unders are 0-6.

This is not a new phenomenon. Even when in A Grade the depth was minimal. Considering the consistency of this, you would have to assume it is a cultural issue either at the club or the wider Old Haileybury community.

Team in focus...Bloods!

If the school heirachy and philosophy are more interested in securing South East Asian students with bags of money (boarding house if have one).
who prefer violin playing, ping pong, badminton and basketball then the Aussie rules football participation will fall and suffer. A stop gap
would be Scholarships but thats only a short term,and a temporary gain. Its not just "the bloods".

If the school heirachy and philosophy are more interested in securing South East Asian students with bags of money (boarding house if have one).
who prefer violin playing, ping pong, badminton and basketball then the Aussie rules football participation will fall and suffer. A stop gap
would be Scholarships but thats only a short term,and a temporary gain. Its not just "the bloods".

Could not be more right. Have a great draft record and a high number of VFL listed which 'probably' doesn't help their amateur team either

Your point on the impact of focusing on pure academic results, over a more broad educational experience (including sports) is absolutely valid.

However Old Haileybury operate in a similar regional area to Caulfield Grammarians and Old Brighton. Yet OH seems to struggle for numbers, let alone quality of depth. Both Caulfield and Brighton Reserves are travelling similar to their senior sides in their respective grades and both clubs have a Thirds. Now clubs can change quickly if poor decisions are made in coaching panels (ie. Caulfield & Oswald). But Ward seems to be well respected and has had some success, and this symptom predates his involvement anyway. I would also say OH is viewed reasonably well by their peers (ie. they are not a rat bag club).

Maybe depth and competitiveness of teams, other than the Seniors, is just not a priority?

Note: Also both Caulfield and Brighton have had students drafted to the big show and have a number playing VFL as well.

Could not be more right. Have a great draft record and a high number of VFL listed which 'probably' doesn't help their amateur team either
Carey are the same, Matt Rowell and Anderson have been on footy scholarships since grade 5, which is ridiculous in my humble opinion. They have a good firsts team but no seconds team whilst their year 10 team plays in the thirds competition as does their year 9,8 and 7. Soccer is massive at Carey which is also why Old Carey being in Premier is a miracle.

Haileybury are like Brighton Grammar, they buy their success in most sports, except the King boys who were actually at Xavier in Brighton as little tackers who then crossed to the dark side.

Carey are the same, Matt Rowell and Anderson have been on footy scholarships since grade 5, which is ridiculous in my humble opinion. They have a good firsts team but no seconds team whilst their year 10 team plays in the thirds competition as does their year 9,8 and 7. Soccer is massive at Carey which is also why Old Carey being in Premier is a miracle.

Haileybury are like Brighton Grammar, they buy their success in most sports, except the King boys who were actually at Xavier in Brighton as little tackers who then crossed to the dark side.

Maybe the odd story like Old Carey getting KJ an $80k car has something to do with Carey being in Premier.

Maybe the odd story like Old Carey getting KJ an $80k car has something to do with Carey being in Premier.

Who at Old Carey would do this? The President Paul Newton who puts his own hard earned in so the club can just scrape it to even on the balance books?
The School? Who like most schools offer very little to Old Boys teams. Zero in money? Some rich ex student who decides to give some bloke he doesn’t know 80k rather than let his children inherit and also doesn’t attend games?
I don’t know Jaksch, but I’m guessing he even pays his subs.

There’s always been rumours floating around re Carey on here. I certainly don’t buy many of them as I have spoken to Paul Newton on a few occasions post games and at VAFA events and know how tight things are down there. And at all clubs mind you. Not just Carey. 80k car. Gold.

Don't shoot the messenger Hippster. If players from OC confirmed the story to be fact then maybe there is some ounce of truth.

Maybe I'm just acting in true David King spirit and talking rubbish. I'll let the readers of Big Footy decide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't shoot the messenger Hippster. If players from OC confirmed the story to be fact then maybe there is some ounce of truth.

Maybe I'm just acting in true David King spirit and talking rubbish. I'll let the readers of Big Footy decide.

All cool. I know it’s rubbish as I know Carey fairly well. It’s beyond fanciful.
Perhaps they have a car sponsor who lets him drive an 80k car, but it can’t be his. You need to get around an ammos committee for a few meetings and you will see how rediculous this rumour is.

Paul Newton is also no longer pres at Carey FYI...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Good call. Doesn’t change my posts. He was Prez last year. Can’t imagine between then and now, suddenly club has 80k to hand somebody. Ammos clubs just don’t work like that. Certainly not Carey. But enough on this. People will always speculate and say they know etc.
Hipp.

Beware the arbitrary line between banter and trolling, David_King . It pays to stay well clear of the imprecisely marked minefield lest you blow off an extremity.

Hint: Start moving in the other direction.

I’m being very genuine with my OC remark but happy to move on if the crowd calls for it. I will finish on this though, a number of coaches I know in leagues with salary caps, have gone above and beyond to “cheat” the system so it would not surprise me that a few of these VAFA tales are true.

IMO most clubs who manage to raise a spare dollar will be ploughing it into a line coach, development coach, getting the women’s teams up and running and supported, and paying someone to do admin. It’s a great comp precisely because pretty much no club has enough spare cash to throw at players or meeting their car lease payments. Story will be 100% bullsh*t.

IMO most clubs who manage to raise a spare dollar will be ploughing it into a line coach, development coach, getting the women’s teams up and running and supported, and paying someone to do admin. It’s a great comp precisely because pretty much no club has enough spare cash to throw at players or meeting their car lease payments. Story will be 100% bullsh*t.

Over The Post The Easter bunny is a living creature too.

Anyway, for those involved at Scotch or happened to watch the game: How was the debut for the young Mitchell kid?

Issues at OH are not new. For such an enormous school they have always had horrible depth, poor 19s and generally low numbers for years. Mark Seccull still running around in their 2s. He would have to be nearly 60 FFS ! Despite the rumours about free or subsidised education for ex AFL players I know for a fact that the relationship between school and footy club has never been particularly strong. Perhaps that is part of the problem. Main campus in Keysborough but their student catchment was more central, hence the smart move to McKinnon in the early 80s but perhaps there is still a disconnect.

I’m not across APS footy but Haileybury not shy about plucking talented athletes from ACC schools to improve their brand. They are not alone here but they did seem to take it to another level.

Putting aside the football side of things, from all accounts an excellent school.

Back to this weekend's footy and teams actually in B Grade:

St Bedes Mentone v Old Haileybury - While the Bloods may keep this close early, the Tigers will run away in the end.
Fitzroy v Parkdale - Only because of the Lions fade out last week. Tough to get over I'd imagine.
Old Scotch v Beaumaris - By a bit.
Caulfield v Monash - By a bit. Goddard debut??? Surely the skipper Nixon returns this week.
Uni Blacks v Old Geelong - By a bit.

Back to this weekend's footy and teams actually in B Grade:

St Bedes Mentone v Old Haileybury - While the Bloods may keep this close early, the Tigers will run away in the end.
Fitzroy v Parkdale - Only because of the Lions fade out last week. Tough to get over I'd imagine.
Old Scotch v Beaumaris - By a bit.
Caulfield v Monash - By a bit. Goddard debut??? Surely the skipper Nixon returns this week.
Uni Blacks v Old Geelong - By a bit.

Easy tipping this week 5/5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back