B Section Premier B 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The turn out by the Cardinal faithful was almost as poor as the performance. With 2 teams playing I would have at least expected them to match Caulfield for numbers. I’d have said the crowd was 70-80% Blue & White.

Yes it was, but not sure the Captain and his leadership team spoke up and supported their coach earlier in the season. Karma.
He wasn't captain and players involving themselves in matters of that nature is a recipe for disaster. Not one of your better efforts Hippy.

He wasn't captain and players involving themselves in matters of that nature is a recipe for disaster. Not one of your better efforts Hippy.

I know he wasn’t Captain. But he was inner sanctum leadership team.
Totally disagree. A lot of people let the coach down. Players amongst them.
Karma.

I know he wasn’t Captain. But he was inner sanctum leadership team.
Totally disagree. A lot of people let the coach down. Players amongst them.
Karma.
Hmm! Think you are scampering for cover, Hippy. Your post read as if you thought he was skipper. Don't think he was in the leadership group either for that matter.

Candidly, think it's pretty ordinary demeaning a great servant of a club and ammo football as you have - i.e deriving some pleasure seeing him go out that way by virtue of your karma reference. Very schadenfreude-ish. That may or may not have been your intention but it read that way.

Players getting involved in internal club politics is a recipe for disaster. In the Cardinals case the fact the club had such an outstandingly successful on-field year, across the board, demonstrates in spades.

Certainly been a while for my boys to be playing outside of the top flight, but in hindsight we probably lasted 1-2 years longer than we should have. A solid rebuilding campaign is well underway and club are looking at bouncing straight back up.

With Schwab signed on for another couple of seasons and good development in the unders I think De La can be a considerable force in 2020.

Some first time opponents in Ajax, Williamstown, Fitzroy and Monash (Historians please correct me if I'm wrong), but we also get to renew old rivalries against ST Bedes and OH - would have loved Ormond coming up from C but not to be.

Look forward to some classic battles and presidents lunches in 2020.

See you at Dairy Bell!

Certainly been a while for my boys to be playing outside of the top flight, but in hindsight we probably lasted 1-2 years longer than we should have. A solid rebuilding campaign is well underway and club are looking at bouncing straight back up.

With Schwab signed on for another couple of seasons and good development in the unders I think De La can be a considerable force in 2020.

Some first time opponents in Ajax, Williamstown, Fitzroy and Monash (Historians please correct me if I'm wrong), but we also get to renew old rivalries against ST Bedes and OH - would have loved Ormond coming up from C but not to be.

See you at Dairy Bell!
We would have loved to go up and play you as well , would have been good crowds and lunches.

Hmm! Think you are scampering for cover, Hippy. Your post read as if you thought he was skipper. Don't think he was in the leadership group either for that matter.

Candidly, think it's pretty ordinary demeaning a great servant of a club and ammo football as you have - i.e deriving some pleasure seeing him go out that way by virtue of your karma reference. Very schadenfreude-ish. That may or may not have been your intention but it read that way.

Players getting involved in internal club politics is a recipe for disaster. In the Cardinals case the fact the club had such an outstandingly successful on-field year, across the board, demonstrates in spades.

Nope. No scamper. He was captain in 18. I know the Scotchies well.
No player was better placed to stand up for his coach than he. He didn’t. Simple.
He disappointed me as did many at the club during this time. I don’t take much pleasure, but he like many others were very poor when Mitchell was able to do what he did. I dont credit Mitchell with anything the club achieved to be honest. He took the seniors to a GF, but I reckon even Captian Chaos in his coaching prime could have achieved this result from where he took over.
The rest of the club achieved some great things despite Mitchell. So well done. Shock horror he’s gone.
Woof Woof.

Nope. No scamper. He was captain in 18. I know the Scotchies well.
No player was better placed to stand up for his coach than he. He didn’t. Simple.
He disappointed me as did many at the club during this time. I don’t take much pleasure, but he like many others were very poor when Mitchell was able to do what he did. I dont credit Mitchell with anything the club achieved to be honest. He took the seniors to a GF, but I reckon even Captian Chaos in his coaching prime could have achieved this result from where he took over.
The rest of the club achieved some great things despite Mitchell. So well done. Shock horror he’s gone.
Woof Woof.
Correct he was Captain in 18, not this year as you suggested. And when he stepped down he also relinquished his leadership role too I'm told.

If the players were so aggrieved as you make out they wouldn't have played for Mitchell and some would have walked. I have learned first-hand about some of the happenings, which were reprehensible. However, I've never suggested Mitchell was as white as the driven snow. Just that to have the club recover and play consistently well after such a seismic event illustrates he has some footy smarts. As I've said here already I was present the week following the disruption and there was no overt evidence of any dysfunction and his addresses to the players showed he had a handle on the on-field issues.

Think your clear animosity has clouded your judgment. To suggest the on-field performances of the ones and other teams were despite the head coach defies credulity.

The on-field success of the club illustrates that players keeping out of the internal politics was the sensible course of action.

btw. Jamo will suit up for the Cardinals next year, I'm reliably informed.

Last edited:
Correct he was Captain in 18, not this year as you suggested. And when he stepped down he also relinquished his leadership role too I'm told.

If the players were so aggrieved as you make out they wouldn't have played for Mitchell and some would have walked. I have learned first-hand about some of the happenings, which were reprehensible. However, I've never suggested Mitchell was as white as the driven snow. Just that to have the club recover and play consistently well after such a seismic event illustrates he has some footy smarts. As I've said here already I was present the week following the disruption and there was no overt evidence of any dysfunction and his addresses to the players showed he had a handle on the on-field issues.

Think your clear animosity has clouded your judgment. To suggest the on-field performances of the ones and other teams were despite the head coach defies credulity.

The on-field success of the club illustrates that players keeping out of the internal politics was the sensible course of action.

btw. Jamo will suit up for the Cardinals next year, I'm reliably informed.

I think everyone knows when he was Captain. He didn’t need a title to be a leader this year. But unfortunately he failed miserably when he was needed.
I don’t think the players were aggrieved enough. That’s the problem.
Fortunately Scotch were in a super strong position and playing in basically a 3 team comp for promotion when the shite hit the fan. The on field success had zero to do with Mitchell and players keeping out of internal politics wasn’t the reason they finished were they did IMO. Let’s hope Woofers next club is prepared for him. Interesting times ahead for them i fear.

I think everyone knows when he was Captain. He didn’t need a title to be a leader this year. But unfortunately he failed miserably when he was needed.
I don’t think the players were aggrieved enough. That’s the problem.
Fortunately Scotch were in a super strong position and playing in basically a 3 team comp for promotion when the s**t hit the fan. The on field success had zero to do with Mitchell and players keeping out of internal politics wasn’t the reason they finished were they did IMO. Let’s hope Woofers next club is prepared for him. Interesting times ahead for them i fear.
That's just a reprise of your previous efforts, Hippy. Repetition doesn't alter how wide of the mark you are.

The Claret and Stout outfit is where you usually reside. Perhaps stick to your usual haunt where the chin-wagging seems more reliable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's just a reprise of your previous efforts, Hippy. Repetition doesn't alter how wide of the mark you are.

The Claret and Stout outfit is where you usually reside. Perhaps stick to your usual haunt where the chin-wagging seems more reliable.

It’s not wide of the mark at all. It’s my opinion, shared by many people in the know of what went down. Not many are surprised he is now gone. Nor upset about it. Simple.
I think we are going round in circles here. Happy to concede Scotch were able to continue their extremely strong opening to the season and get to where they finally got to. And that Mitchell leaving was a great surprise to nobody and was celebrated by many diehard Cardinals who were deeply dismayed with goings on.
Thankfully for all a new chapter awaits with Mitchell safely erased..

Last edited:
It’s not wide of the mark at all. It’s my opinion, shared by many people in the know of what went down. Not many are surprised he is now gone. Nor upset about it. Simple.
I think we are going round in circles here. Happy to concede Scotch were able to continue their extremely strong opening to the season and get to where they finally got to. And that Mitchell leaving was a great surprise to nobody and was celebrated by many diehard Cardinals who were deeply dismayed with goings on.
Thankfully for all a new chapter awaits with Mitchell safely erased..
It is becoming circular, Hipp. Particularly your "in the know" bizo.

Pleased you've at least grudgingly moved a little way from your opinon that the successful year was in spite of the head coach. To do otherwise would have been in clear contradiction of the clubs on-field form.

All the other stuff about him leaving and whether it was a good thing was not in contention and dealt with very early in the to-n-fro over this matter.

Stick with the Claret-n-Stouts, Hippy. Where "in the know" maybe, possibly, perhaps, could be closer to the truth.;)

See you at Dairy Bell!
Monash have played De La in the past but won’t be in 2020 as we’re in C

See you at Dairy Bell!

From what I am hearing there is a fair bit to look forward to next year GY. 2019 was a shocker. Used close to 50 players and lack of depth was horribly exposed. Survival would have masked both a lack of depth and a lack of top end talent so B grade is where we deserve to be.

Despite all that when we did manage to assemble close to our best we were a solid team and knocked over some quality opposition so even if we keep the same list we should fare ok. Blooded some promising kids and had good ressies and unders this year. Also expect to more games out of our best 3 players - Tom Humphrey, Williams J and Williams S, who collectively spent much of the season on the sidelines due to injury.

Obviously Uni Blacks will be a contender and Carey usually load up for a tilt at getting back in A grade. But I know very little of the others so would welcome any insights.

(PS - Definitely recall playing against Monash and also Ajax at some point in time)

Reckon going to the Fearon might be an eye-opener for some. And bring on the Beauy/De La/Willi jumper clashes lol

Could not be any worse than Brighton Beach oval. That place not fit for man nor beast.

Truly expect DLS to be right at the pointy end next year. Had several of their better players miss large chunks of the season and depth (or lack thereof) horribly exposed in Premier.

Could not be any worse than Brighton Beach oval. That place not fit for man nor beast.

Truly expect DLS to be right at the pointy end next year. Had several of their better players miss large chunks of the season and depth (or lack thereof) horribly exposed in Premier.
Fearon is a complete turdhole for footy and cricket , the only good thing is the Lacrosse as you can get a beer, burger or snag.

Brighton Beach Oval has a fence.
Unlike Fearon
Brighton Beach Oval also has a defined playing area.
Unlike Fearon
Weirdest football ground ever.

Brighton Beach Oval has a fence.
Unlike Fearon
Brighton Beach Oval also has a defined playing area.
Unlike Fearon
Weirdest football ground ever.
But I expect it has grass. Unlike Brighton.

Not disputing it is unusual (Never been there) but no fence is not all that uncommon. In 2019 Premier De La, Carey, Trinity and St.Kevins did not have a fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back