B Section Premier B 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
footyfan1984 SeaSide Will Willy be putting on a lunch for the round 2 clash with De La? Awfully long way to travel for mere canteen food. De La supporters like to travel and probably like a lunch more.

Also directions to the nearest TAB would be handy, knew the Premier club nearest TAB's like the back of my hand!
I forwarded your query to the CY's oligarchs whereby Madam President emailed me with the following: -

"We are in the process of putting our events calendar together - if you'd like to respond just let him know you've consulted with the committee and they are putting together the events calendar presently. He can stay tuned for updates and we, of course look forward to welcoming him Rd 2."

FYI
SeaSide

GY – seems you know a lot more than me about the comings and goings. As much I like to talk footy during the off-season I am right out of the loop when it comes to player movements. A few names thrown at me during the spring carnival from those better placed than I. J.Mc not one of those but a player of his calibre would be enourmous. Based on what I was told I am really looking forward to next year. Expect a good showing from the Bellers. Any other snippets you might have heard?

I'll continue to keep my ear to the ground and let you know what other players might be pulling on the Blue and Gold in season 2020.

Never suggested the bellers would be winning a flag Mr Hat, just that they would give a good account of themselves. Why are the Blacks so bullish about their chances next year? Notwithstanding they have secured Matt Dea, the Uni team with the blue shorts and disproportionate number of ordinary blokes seems to be destination of choice at the moment.

Is Charlie Richardson still running around for "Blacks" in 2020?
I have my doubts...

Thanks AF.

For the DLS boys, JJ and GY, knowing that you are interested in the CY's progress, here goes, however as all clubs are recruiting vigorously, I don't feel that our recruits outweigh those of other clubs.

Yesterday the CY’s players, having another light training run jogged along Battery Road under the watchful eyes of our 18th century cannons (picture) where our players can look over the Bay towards St Kilda and down towards Hampton, Sandringham and Black Rock.

Williamstown, a beautiful part of Melbourne, tucked away from under the Bridge is a relaxed, picturesque and welcoming suburb. Two of our three recruits joined last year’s group and as is the Willi way, were accepted heartily. They will surely test the incumbent side with a further 4 former U19s also pushing for senior selection.

There is no doubt JJ and GY that we will catch up in Rd 2, therefore we’ll need to make ourselves known. I’ll be wearing Blue and Gold.

Thanks AF.

For the DLS boys, JJ and GY, knowing that you are interested in the CY's progress, here goes, however as all clubs are recruiting vigorously, I don't feel that our recruits outweigh those of other clubs.

Yesterday the CY’s players, having another light training run jogged along Battery Road under the watchful eyes of our 18th century cannons (picture) where our players can look over the Bay towards St Kilda and down towards Hampton, Sandringham and Black Rock.

Williamstown, a beautiful part of Melbourne, tucked away from under the Bridge is a relaxed, picturesque and welcoming suburb. Two of our three recruits joined last year’s group and as is the Willi way, were accepted heartily. They will surely test the incumbent side with a further 4 former U19s also pushing for senior selection.

There is no doubt JJ and GY that we will catch up in Rd 2, therefore we’ll need to make ourselves known. I’ll be wearing Blue and Gold.

Wow, so eloquent SeaSide. We are more now, than ever, culturally enriched with your presence on Big Footy.

That was the best point of playing VAFA final games at Sandy....no beer ban.
I assume you meant the best 'part'. Slightly sad if you find it to be 'the best' part of the experience. Nevertheless, having an ale in the Social Club at the 'Barker' is a treat. Fantastic the grog is confined to that area though so you don't have to mingle with slurpers and dribblers in the terraces, hey?

Look forward the VAFA extending the drinking hours in the dining areas so clubs will be the direct beneficiaries of all grog sales.

I assume you meant the best 'part'. Slightly sad if you find it to be 'the best' part of the experience. Nevertheless, having an ale in the Social Club at the 'Barker' is a treat. Fantastic the grog is confined to that area though so you don't have to mingle with slurpers and dribblers in the terraces, hey?

Look forward the VAFA extending the drinking hours in the dining areas so clubs will be the direct beneficiaries of all grog sales.

Not as sad as getting beat by 2 points in the GF. Anything would be better than that, especially a "consoling" beer.........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks AF.

Nearest TAB or pub tab? Probably the final piece of the puzzle for those from Dairy Bell

Nearest TAB or pub tab? Probably the final piece of the puzzle for those from Dairy Bell
Rifle Club Hotel. You pass it on your way down Victoria Street before you turn left at our beautiful beach on the Esplanade and the magnificent Fearon Reserve is on your left, next to the Williamstown Botanic Gardens, one of the best in the State.

I'm sure Bedders will be anxiously awaiting the next installment.
Today's Age does a reasonable job of depicting the great suburb where 98
footyfan1984 SeaSide Will Willy be putting on a lunch for the round 2 clash with De La? Awfully long way to travel for mere canteen food. De La supporters like to travel and probably like a lunch more.

Also directions to the nearest TAB would be handy, knew the Premier club nearest TAB's like the back of my hand!
Awfully long way to travel for mere canteen food. De La supporters like to travel and probably like a lunch more.
Ormond supporters have never quibbled about the time nor the distance to get from the Boss to Willi: 25k/37 minutes.
Waverley Oval to Willi: 25k/30 minutes.

Thanks for the geography lesson seaside. Would be grateful if you could complement the sightseeing tour with some footy talk. How are Willy going to fare in B grade next year? Must be a very exciting for your club coming up against some long term VAFA heavyweights (albeit they are currently sitting in B grade).

Thanks again JJ with a footy update and a little on where our players train (and our supporters enjoy). This one is also for you GY!
There is quite a lot of goodwill in Willi towards DLS as the many of our St Mary's Primary and Willi Juniors FC players went to De La. Many also attended SKevs. For you also DK, (loved your synopsis)

Here's your update JJ and other interested former DLS students: -

Today’s Age, Domain Section
Local Facebook contributor from Willi Past, Present and Future.

Williamstown is described as the Toorak of the west in the Domain section of today’s Age.

I’m not sure whether to feel pleased or insulted!
  • Williamstown: The Toorak of the west

Domain_Neighbourhoods_Williamstown-42_ysoxfo.jpg

A slice of aspirational lifestyle living gazing at the city centre spearing up dramatically across the other side of Hobsons Bay. Photo: Greg Briggs

Williamstown: The Toorak of the west
LARISSA DUBECKIWRITER NOV 27, 2019
facebook
twitter
pinterest
It’s the Toorak of the west; a slice of aspirational lifestyle living gazing at the city centre spearing up dramatically across the other side of Hobsons Bay.
Established in 1837 as Melbourne’s first seaport, Williamstown retains a salty maritime atmosphere, yet few suburbs rock such a quasi-English village feel. The colonial-era illusion can be slated home to its green, quiet streets and period homes that run the gamut from quaint to queenly.
Eight kilometres in a direct line from the city, part of Williamstown’s charm comes from being protected from through-traffic.
Neighbourhood Williamstown
Kickback with a CYs run around here; it's opposite the Fearon Reserve and where players often drop in after a home game prior to imbibing with our friends from opposing clubs.
Sangria on the beach at Sebastian Bar and Grill. Photo: Greg Briggs
As Port Phillip’s western border, it’s officially the end of the line (the Williamstown train line terminates here) while its more industrial neighbours Newport and Altona take the brunt of the traffic.
Its geographical co-ordinates mean that no one goes to Williamstown unless they want to – and there are plenty of reasons stacking up on that front for residents and tourists alike.
The heritage-rich streetscape of Nelson Place is the unofficial town centre; hugging the shady foreshore reserve, it’s the home of the suburb’s busy retail and hospitality precinct.
On the southern side of the suburb, close to the Botanic Gardens, one of the best in the State, the 1930s art deco pavilion on Williamstown Beach has been made over into the Iberian-themed Sebastian beach bar and restaurant.
Neighbourhood Williamstown
Cityviews along the waterside. Photo: Greg Briggs

Both Williamstown VFL and Williamstown VAFA are often seen along this foreshore, one of many foreshores in Williamstown as the suburb is three parts surrounded by water.

There’s a decommissioned bluestone lighthouse, plenty of walking paths, including along the Hobsons Bay Coastal Trail, and extravagant houses with city views to admire along The Strand.

The locals are diehard supporters of the Williamstown Seagulls VFL Club (established in 1864), and the local Amateur Club, the Willy CYs (est 1886); both clubs are amongst Aussie rules’ oldest clubs. The Williamstown High School (established 1914) is sought-after for enrolments across Melbourne’s west.

Williamstown is well worth a day trip for Melburnians playing tourist in their own town.

Back to the Future

All of Willi CY’s recruits have fitted well with their new club and future teammates.

After Willi’s last game against Hampton Rovers, 2018 at Point Gellibrand, it was announced (by BD) that of the 22 players selected, all 22 had come through the Juniors.

Willi CYs do not poach players from surrounding clubs, recruiting only through the Willi Juniors. However should a player from outside the Willi area feel that he’d like to test himself at CYs, he is always welcomed.

This week, the players again had another run and exercise session at the Hatt Reserve by the water, opposite the Fearon (and next to Sebastian Bar and Grill [see above] before a slow jog through the Brumbries, again along Battery Road to the Timeball Tower at Point Gellibrand and returned following after another exercise session.

All former De La and Skevs’ students are training well.

Firstly if it takes me 30 minutes to get to Williamstown from Waverley I'll eat my hat! Anyways back to the footy!

Word reaches me that Richmond defender Ryan Garthwaite will be doing some part time defensive coaching and skills development at De La over the summer. A brilliant get if the mail is correct, a young up and coming AFL defender who can provide his knowledge of the game to the back 6 at Dairy Bell.

He'd certainly have the ability to communicate with the players being the same age or younger than those playing.

Firstly if it takes me 30 minutes to get to Williamstown from Waverley I'll eat my hat! Anyways back to the footy!

Word reaches me that Richmond defender Ryan Garthwaite will be doing some part time defensive coaching and skills development at De La over the summer. A brilliant get if the mail is correct, a young up and coming AFL defender who can provide his knowledge of the game to the back 6 at Dairy Bell.

He'd certainly have the ability to communicate with the players being the same age or younger than those playing.

Any recruiting news GY? Have heard a few handy names thrown around which will complement some returning players but have seen or heard nothing via club communications. They usually keep supporters well informed so not sure if they are just trying to be a little more discrete or the mail is off the mark.

Could say the same for Port & South Melbourne.. who wouldnt love a block of land in either of those today..

People in the eastern suburba are so clueless to the rest of Melbourne.. i worked With someone who couldnt believe i lived in Essendon because it was so far away.... they lived in Mount Waverly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back