B Section Premier B 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't looked into B grade much yet. Anyone know if De La have lost much after the drop? Heard they may of lost a mid who was on a vfl list at some stage.

Haven't looked into B grade much yet. Anyone know if De La have lost much after the drop? Heard they may of lost a mid who was on a vfl list at some stage.
Hello WLTF and thank you for your interest. Not sure who you might be referring to? Transfer pages will give you an indication but can confirm that the positives significantly outweigh the negatives.

Hello WLTF and thank you for your interest. Not sure who you might be referring to? Transfer pages will give you an indication but can confirm that the positives significantly outweigh the negatives.
Give the cup to the Bellers and call the season off I say JJ. Wally can then watch his son at Xavs unconflicted.:D

Interesting article in the Herald on Parkdale, reading between the lines they are in real strife and will basically be an u23 side.

FWIW how do they measure a player in points when that player's team is now in A but was in B?
Well accordingly to the rules in those circumstances if they change clubs they will accrue another point. I note James Sansom has crossed from Scotch to Blacks. He would be a 3, then add an extra point so a 4. I am led to believe that he finished top 3 in the B&F so there’s another points. So that’s a 5. Bloody ridiculous. Doubt he at Uni as he must be late 20s.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone open it. Absolute bullshit you have to pay for local sport.
Heres the content sans photos

Ben Phibbs will be the odd man out at Parkdale Vultures this year.

Phibbs is a much-decorated footballer, having played in the VFL and coached in the VAFA.

He’s serving as Vultures’ coach Owen Lalor right-hand man this season.

And, being closer to 40 than 30, he’ll also be Lalor’s only veteran player.

It’s been a tough off-season for the club. Through overseas travel, transfers and retirements, the Vultures have taken some hits and been left light on for experience.

But Lalor said his young group had talent and the club was staying positive.

He said the Vultures were happy to “run with the kids’’.

“It’s been one of those pre-seasons where unfortunately the ledger of losses versus gains is definitely going in the negative,’’ he said.

“We’ve lost quite a few players. But we’ve been training since November and we got our heads around it quite a while ago.

“Training is good, it’s good fun, plenty of match ‘sim’ and everyone is keeping it really positive. But we’re very, very young – the youngest bloke training is about 16 and the oldest bloke about 25.

Parkdale Vultures coach Owen Lalor.

“The club’s age demographic is bizarre now. We don’t have any mid-20s types. At the top end, the 29 to 32-year-olds, they’ve all retired, and all of a sudden we’re so young. But that’s OK. We’ll run with the kids and let them play, give them a licence to take the game on. Hopefully we’ll find a couple of smokies.’’

Jack Edwards, the new captain, is 23 and will have under him a team leadership group of 20 to 21 year olds.

Edwards replaces as skipper association and club best and fairest Charlie Dillon, who has put his passport to work. Andrew Watterson, another club best and fairest, is also overseas.

Tommy Redmond, Liam Platt and Michael Graham, seasoned and big-bodied players, have retired; Zac Straker is having a year off; Liam Marshall, who kicked four goals in a quarter against Old Scotch, has succumbed to persistent shoulder problems; and emergents Blake O’Leary (Noble Park), Tyson Milne (Bonbeach), Austin Johnson (Cheltenham) and Jai Hale (Mordialloc) have gone elsewhere.

Jackson Boland has joined his brother Matt at Prahran-Assumption.

Lalor said the club had picked up no experienced players but had signed a bunch of Under 18 players who would be listed with Sandringham Dragons in the NAB League.

He said there could be six to eight Under 19 players in the side for Round 1 against St Bedes Mentone Tigers.

The Dragons-aligned players include top-agers Michael Lewis and Jack Challands.

Lalor said his assistant coach Phibbs would chip in with six to eight games, lending know-how to a green team.

“The blokes love him, love the way he goes about it,’’ Lalor said of Phibbs.

“Our full-forward will be about 18 and there will be these small forwards who are 18, 19, so having ‘Phibbsy’ out there with them will be no bad thing.’’

Former top-line player Tim Kight is handling the backline and overseeing the fitness

Heres the content sans photos

Ben Phibbs will be the odd man out at Parkdale Vultures this year.

Phibbs is a much-decorated footballer, having played in the VFL and coached in the VAFA.

He’s serving as Vultures’ coach Owen Lalor right-hand man this season.

And, being closer to 40 than 30, he’ll also be Lalor’s only veteran player.

It’s been a tough off-season for the club. Through overseas travel, transfers and retirements, the Vultures have taken some hits and been left light on for experience.

But Lalor said his young group had talent and the club was staying positive.

He said the Vultures were happy to “run with the kids’’.

“It’s been one of those pre-seasons where unfortunately the ledger of losses versus gains is definitely going in the negative,’’ he said.

“We’ve lost quite a few players. But we’ve been training since November and we got our heads around it quite a while ago.

“Training is good, it’s good fun, plenty of match ‘sim’ and everyone is keeping it really positive. But we’re very, very young – the youngest bloke training is about 16 and the oldest bloke about 25.

Parkdale Vultures coach Owen Lalor.

“The club’s age demographic is bizarre now. We don’t have any mid-20s types. At the top end, the 29 to 32-year-olds, they’ve all retired, and all of a sudden we’re so young. But that’s OK. We’ll run with the kids and let them play, give them a licence to take the game on. Hopefully we’ll find a couple of smokies.’’

Jack Edwards, the new captain, is 23 and will have under him a team leadership group of 20 to 21 year olds.

Edwards replaces as skipper association and club best and fairest Charlie Dillon, who has put his passport to work. Andrew Watterson, another club best and fairest, is also overseas.

Tommy Redmond, Liam Platt and Michael Graham, seasoned and big-bodied players, have retired; Zac Straker is having a year off; Liam Marshall, who kicked four goals in a quarter against Old Scotch, has succumbed to persistent shoulder problems; and emergents Blake O’Leary (Noble Park), Tyson Milne (Bonbeach), Austin Johnson (Cheltenham) and Jai Hale (Mordialloc) have gone elsewhere.

Jackson Boland has joined his brother Matt at Prahran-Assumption.

Lalor said the club had picked up no experienced players but had signed a bunch of Under 18 players who would be listed with Sandringham Dragons in the NAB League.

He said there could be six to eight Under 19 players in the side for Round 1 against St Bedes Mentone Tigers.

The Dragons-aligned players include top-agers Michael Lewis and Jack Challands.

Lalor said his assistant coach Phibbs would chip in with six to eight games, lending know-how to a green team.

“The blokes love him, love the way he goes about it,’’ Lalor said of Phibbs.

“Our full-forward will be about 18 and there will be these small forwards who are 18, 19, so having ‘Phibbsy’ out there with them will be no bad thing.’’

Former top-line player Tim Kight is handling the backline and overseeing the fitness
Thanks

Well accordingly to the rules in those circumstances if they change clubs they will accrue another point. I note James Sansom has crossed from Scotch to Blacks. He would be a 3, then add an extra point so a 4. I am led to believe that he finished top 3 in the B&F so there’s another points. So that’s a 5. Bloody ridiculous. Doubt he at Uni as he must be late 20s.

Runner up for a few years in a row so definitely a 5. Seems a bit ridiculous IMO.

Anyway, looking like a two horse race with Blacks and De La a fair way ahead of the pack. Williamstown the only real unknown.

Carey, Parkdale, St Bedes, Beaumaris all look to be worse off. Leaving Fitzroy, OH and AJAX who always make up the 6-8 positions.

Last edited:
Truck load of Bede's best student footballers signing with Parkdale, this coupled with some Beders stalwarts jumping ship to Mentonians or bush footy. Looks like the Brindisi Bus has severely broken down and may be headed to the lower divisions of the VAFA.

Truck load of Bede's best student footballers signing with Parkdale, this coupled with some Beders stalwarts jumping ship to Mentonians or bush footy. Looks like the Brindisi Bus has severely broken down and may be headed to the lower divisions of the VAFA.
Any idea why FFB? Was surprised to see the number and quality of some of their departures. Their new Prez is a past player at our club, ripping fella.

SBMT are a good club who have been at the pointy end for a while with a very large (and vocal) supporter base. Ground is small but always in good nick and brand-new facilities have just been built. Strong junior club and aligned to a very large all-boys school. They should be Premier A with all they have going for them.

Last edited:
A little quiet, I guess De La and Willy haven't had any player announcement or tourism tips over the past few weeks!

Some big recruiting news from Bellerville which JJ has been keeping under wraps.o_O

uhCMOFU.jpg

Some big recruiting news from Bellerville which JJ has been keeping under wraps.o_O

uhCMOFU.jpg
Beery had a very “undistinguished” playing career in the De La clubbies pre first class cricket. Good fella and will great to have him around the club.

Like others I rely on club communications for recruiting and other news. Lack of recent reporting seems to indicate that what has been a very fruitful off season is just about done. Has not all been one-way traffic but on the while the positives well and truly outweigh the negatives.

I don’t have much news on other clubs. Can only report what I have seen here or elsewhere around the traps. Blacks have recruited very well and based on that perhaps deserve pre-season favouritism. On the back of a dominant C grade season Williy are to be respected. Beauy bullish about some good youngsters but have a lost a few stalwarts. Indications are that Carey, St Bedes and Parkdale have lost more than they have gained and bugger all known about the rest.

With the season on hold till May, I'll have to put off my lunch and subsequent sightseeing adventures in Williamstown.

Does the Williamstown tourist board give credits?

With the season on hold till May, I'll have to put off my lunch and subsequent sightseeing adventures in Williamstown.

Does the Williamstown tourist board give credits?
GY, this is for you JJ and FF. Revealed in previous posts, Willi CYs have attracted recruits from nearby Amateur clubs, all of whom are keen to test at a higher level, those clubs being South Melbourne Districts (U19s), 12k and 15 minutes away and Westbourne OC, 17K / 20 minutes. So far, almost 20 Williamstown Juniors have also been welcomed into the higher grades. Together with some from last year’s U19 teams expectations are for several newbees to push for and gain senior selection.
As an aside, the CYs and the local WRFL football clubs (Altona, Newport and Spotswood) within the City of Hobsons Bay don’t poach players from each other, however there is generally some movement between all four but primarily to play with mates.
As training has now ceased for the unpredictable future, Willi CY’s players intend to do a lot of sightseeing along the golden sands of the beach and have lots of picnics at the many beautiful venues around our quaint and beautiful historic maritime town.
Please see our supporters and players enjoying our ‘Town which was named after a King (William IV).
https://www.realestate.com.au/neighbourhoods/williamstown-3016-vic?cid=pdp

Come on people,
let's keep the chat going please.
Some interesting views on General Discussion.
Keep Safe Everyone
Bloody hard to talk footy when there is none so I guess the only relevant conversation (as discussed on the other board) is to speculate about if and when we will get a start. While my heart hopes that on the back of recent reductions we can get in a 9 round season my head says it is probably unlikely.

How do clubs think this will impact on their own circumstances? At my club I reckon a few veterans were hanging on for one more season as we thought we were a genuine chance for some silverware. I wonder if they will go around again in 2021. Same with new recruits. Will the lay-off give the paying comps a chance to have another crack. I guess only time will tell.

If we do start and based on our current list we will do well. However surely a truncated season will see no promotion or relegation, which is only fair in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back