B Section Premier B - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk on the Premier board about how it has become a two-tiered competition. Very much the same in Premier B with the final 4 essentially set after 6 rounds. The top two look to be a fair bit better than the rest and the odds of a Blacks - Haileybury GF would be very short. Most interest lies in the who will join Parkdale in C grade next year, if in fact Parkdale stay in the VAFA.

Haileybury way too good for us yesterday and with ex AFL listed players Jackson Ross and Noah Gown they have a very potent forward line. Having said that we kicked 3.15 in our two quarters with the wind and it might have been different if that were 15.3 or even 11.7.

If Haileybury get promoted, which looks very likely, I can see 300-point losses in the reserves when they front up against the Xavs or other big clubs with strong reserves. Unbelievably poor depth. Was told by an OH official yesterday they have had to conscript in several long-retired players just to make up the numbers over recent weeks.

Good on OH for getting some of their AFL and VFL listed boys back, making themselves competitive in the process in the seniors and looking towards playing Premier next season.

It will be extremely tough for their reserves in Premier section, but this has been an issue for them as a club for a while now.

Good on OH for getting some of their AFL and VFL listed boys back, making themselves competitive in the process in the seniors and looking towards playing Premier next season.

It will be extremely tough for their reserves in Premier section, but this has been an issue for them as a club for a while now.
This is true Mike but the quality and depth of the competition has improved significantly in the decade since OH were last in Premier. Not all clubs can have the depth of Xavs or SKOB but most are at least competitive. For a club destined for A grade to have their reserves fail to kick a goal and lose by 170 points is concerning. More concerning is that they cannot even find 22 players for their twos most weeks.

This is true Mike but the quality and depth of the competition has improved significantly in the decade since OH were last in Premier. Not all clubs can have the depth of Xavs or SKOB but most are at least competitive. For a club destined for A grade to have their reserves fail to kick a goal and lose by 170 points is concerning. More concerning is that they cannot even find 22 players for their twos most weeks.

That is a real concern that they can't even field 22 in their reserves most weeks and I agree with you regarding competitiveness.

In 2015 Old Carey finished last in Premier Reserves with no wins and a percentage of 30 whilst their seniors had 7 wins and a percentage of 92 hence no easy beats. The next year in 2016, they had no wins in their reserves (percentage of 13!) and just the solitary win in the seniors and a percentage of 44. When they came back up to Premier in 2019, despite their seniors winning the solitary game for the year, at least their reserves won 3 games and had a percentage of 40, a significant improvement on their showings in 2015 and 2016.

Nobody wants to see that sort of annihilation week in and week out at any section, let alone the top section. I fear that may be the case with OH's reserves in Premier section, however the club has to go to their school, recruit players and ensure they do everything possible to stick around. I know this is difficult with school campuses all over the city (Collegians have been dealing with this for decades and it's still an issue but we persevere), but OH must make sure their players become sticky in going from the school to OH.

That is a real concern that they can't even field 22 in their reserves most weeks and I agree with you regarding competitiveness.

In 2015 Old Carey finished last in Premier Reserves with no wins and a percentage of 30 whilst their seniors had 7 wins and a percentage of 92 hence no easy beats. The next year in 2016, they had no wins in their reserves (percentage of 13!) and just the solitary win in the seniors and a percentage of 44. When they came back up to Premier in 2019, despite their seniors winning the solitary game for the year, at least their reserves won 3 games and had a percentage of 40, a significant improvement on their showings in 2015 and 2016.

Nobody wants to see that sort of annihilation week in and week out at any section, let alone the top section. I fear that may be the case with OH's reserves in Premier section, however the club has to go to their school, recruit players and ensure they do everything possible to stick around. I know this is difficult with school campuses all over the city (Collegians have been dealing with this for decades and it's still an issue but we persevere), but OH must make sure their players become sticky in going from the school to OH.
Understand what you say re Old Carey, l witnessed it all but situation with OH is brought on by school policy. I think it was in 2018 there were 12 Year 12 footballers on NAB lists. Several were drafted. Not one of them was at the school in Year 9 in other words all on scholarships. In 2019 they didn't have VAFA U/19 team because there was no connection by these players who were not drafted and they went to their local Club. OH possibly still paying for that in terms of depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back