B Section Premier B - 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. I get the fact it’s not a good look but we can’t start allowing sides to determine their preferred grade. You play in the grade you’re in and some years that’s going to be tough. This years situation reflects on Parkdale FC, not on the competition.
All very valid points you raise Les. I am certainly not a fan of clubs self-nominating and my default position is it should not occur but I guess Parkdale did declare their issues a long way out. I think we will see more of this going forward. Perhaps if a club can substantially justify the reasons and then only if another club is prepared to voluntarily replace them it could be considered with certain conditions - e.g. minimum 2 years in the grade, lose points etc. Different times requires some lateral thinking and I just know that that next week 22 blokes from my club miss out on a game. I also have some sympathy for the Parkdale stalwarts and players who had the guts to stick it out.

Easier for school, uni and district clubs with a junior feeder. As the quality and numbers might vary from season to season, generally we at least have a regular supply of players coming through. Parkdale don’t have any of that. I very much doubt they would challenge in C grade but at least they might have remained competitive and induced a few more players to answer the call to arms.

I must say I was a bit surprised that all the clubs invited to come up declined but understand the reasons. Either way I don’t think we will see them in VAFA next years they seem almost certain to join the SFL.

Especially of the back of a COVID year so there is a 2 year gap and could have been seen as unprecedented times, and would not have set the precedent everyone was concerned with. Hopefully Parkdale can bounce back, certainly no shortage of kids playing footy in the area.

Solid win by the Bellers yesterday and score does not reflect the effort. Down 2 players by the 10 min mark of the first Q and only only 1 fit rotation for most of the 2nd half. Carey kicked the last 3 goals of the game in junk time to make the margin more presentable but by then we were cooked. They have some upside though. Lots of good young kids and would be very surprised if they don’t survive. Horrible breeze blowing straight across the ground made for a fairly ugly spectacle and not one for the archives. Had heard OC depth had improved but the 2s game saw a very comfortable DLS win.

Not sure if this is reflected with other teams but we seem to be having a huge number of soft tissue injures with a few more “hammys’ yesterday. On the upside a couple more graduating U19s debut yesterday and did well.

On another note – easy in hindsight but seeing Parkdale’s struggles I now believe the comp would have been much better served if they went to C and one of Monash, Ormond or OGs chose to test themselves the higher level. Monash probably look best placed to have made the move but can understand the reluctance. Parkdale are simply not competitive and their reserves, having forfeited their last two games, have indicated it is unlikely they will field a side for the remainder of the year. A terrible look for this to happen at any level but especially in one of the Premier grades.
Interestingly OI touched up both Carey and Ajax in practice matches. And whilst both teams have appeared to vastly improved. The differential between B & C isn’t as large as it has been in past.

Max “I could be wrong” Leader

All very valid points you raise Les. I am certainly not a fan of clubs self-nominating and my default position is it should not occur but I guess Parkdale did declare their issues a long way out. I think we will see more of this going forward. Perhaps if a club can substantially justify the reasons and then only if another club is prepared to voluntarily replace them it could be considered with certain conditions - e.g. minimum 2 years in the grade, lose points etc. Different times requires some lateral thinking and I just know that that next week 22 blokes from my club miss out on a game. I also have some sympathy for the Parkdale stalwarts and players who had the guts to stick it out.

Easier for school, uni and district clubs with a junior feeder. As the quality and numbers might vary from season to season, generally we at least have a regular supply of players coming through. Parkdale don’t have any of that. I very much doubt they would challenge in C grade but at least they might have remained competitive and induced a few more players to answer the call to arms.

I must say I was a bit surprised that all the clubs invited to come up declined but understand the reasons. Either way I don’t think we will see them in VAFA next years they seem almost certain to join the SFL.

Valid points you raise regarding Parkdale but they’ve had a direct feeder junior Club in Mordy Brae for a very long time plus the fact too many football clubs in VAFA/Southern in that area and probably too close to the MPNFL as well

Valid points you raise regarding Parkdale but they’ve had a direct feeder junior Club in Mordy Brae for a very long time plus the fact too many football clubs in VAFA/Southern in that area and probably too close to the MPNFL as well
Mordi-Brae have provided plenty of players to Parkdale over the years and at various times the connection was strong. However they are junior only club and not directly aligned to Parkdale or anyone else. Players from MB feed into Edi-Asp, St Bedes, Dingley, Mordialloc and others.

Your observations are correct and the agree that their issues are created by being in an area awash with VAFA, MPNFL and SFL clubs, many of which offer good $. Knowing the seniors were in for a very tough year would have made recruiting and retention even more difficult.

Interestingly OI touched up both Carey and Ajax in practice matches. And whilst both teams have appeared to vastly improved. The differential between B & C isn’t as large as it has been in past.

Max “I could be wrong” Leader
One of either Ajax, Carey or Fitzroy will be relegated with Parkdale Max. However unlike Parkdale all those 3 are competitive. Personally I put very little weight on PM results. In 2019 we rolled Uni Blues in PM. They won a flag and we got relegated!

Parkdale aside it is a fairly even grade, however you could make a very good argument that the final 4 in B grade was set by Rd 6. At the moment I can't really see anyone tipping out Blacks, Hailebury, DLS and Beaumaris.

Mordi-Brae have provided plenty of players to Parkdale over the years and at various times the connection was strong. However they are junior only club and not directly aligned to Parkdale or anyone else. Players from MB feed into Edi-Asp, St Bedes, Dingley, Mordialloc and others.

Your observations are correct and the agree that their issues are created by being in an area awash with VAFA, MPNFL and SFL clubs, many of which offer good $. Knowing the seniors were in for a very tough year would have made recruiting and retention even more difficult.
[/QUOTE

Anyone who has been at Mordi Brae will tell you their Juniors are sent directly up the hill to Parkdale however Mordialloc are making some progress changing that, the Vultures going to SNFL will mean finding big $ to compete in top 4 Div 1, big problem in football generally are kids just aren’t that interested playing after Juniors, just look at how some U 18/19 divisions are struggling to stay competitive and Clubs will need to merge sooner or later

Haileybury if they can go injury free should head to Premier and stay there for a while.

All clubs should learn from the Parkdale experience, they had given up pre-season which is pretty poor, they do, after all, have until June 30 to register players. If they have the same attitude they'll end up at the bottom in whatever comp they choose to play in.

Haileybury if they can go injury free should head to Premier and stay there for a while.

All clubs should learn from the Parkdale experience, they had given up pre-season which is pretty poor, they do, after all, have until June 30 to register players. If they have the same attitude they'll end up at the bottom in whatever comp they choose to play in.

Haileybury need to stay in A grade and build their depth as their reserves have sadly been easy beats for too long, however it is great to see their seniors playing great footy. With the talent at their school, they really should be a top line A grade club.

Haileybury need to stay in A grade and build their depth as their reserves have sadly been easy beats for too long, however it is great to see their seniors playing great footy. With the talent at their school, they really should be a top line A grade club.
Agree. Massive school with huge student numbers and a strong footy program. Have recruited extremely well this year and also managed to pick up several quality players from outside the school. From memory they were the first school to really target sporting talent from other schools with scholarships. Didn’t take the others long to catch on but reckon they set the trend and have been surprised they have not consolidated themselves as a VAFA power.

If they stay fit are probably the flag favourites. However if lose 6-8 key players to injury they are in all sorts. Their 2s are horrible and with Parkdale’s demise may not win a ressies game this year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How do you mean '' learn from the Parkdale experience '' They certainly didn't give up in Pre - Season and were training well with small senior numbers. The introduction of at least five U/19's into the seniors will hold them in good stead moving forward. Their coach is a teacher of skills and football, but unfortunately, they have copped a few injuries to key players as well which hasn't helped. Also, what attitude are referring to ????? They are battling on and their attitude is not in question, they have a woman's team, netball teams, U/19'S and the rooms are packed on Thursday nights for selection and at after matches as well. Every club at times goes through a re-build, some are forced into it by losing players for various reasons all at once such as Covid issues, work issues, travel, $$$$$ being offered to some players, retirements, injuries, demographics [ too many teams in one area ] etc etc etc. They'll be right - V's Up.

How do you mean '' learn from the Parkdale experience '' They certainly didn't give up in Pre - Season and were training well with small senior numbers. The introduction of at least five U/19's into the seniors will hold them in good stead moving forward. Their coach is a teacher of skills and football, but unfortunately, they have copped a few injuries to key players as well which hasn't helped. Also, what attitude are referring to ????? They are battling on and their attitude is not in question, they have a woman's team, netball teams, U/19'S and the rooms are packed on Thursday nights for selection and at after matches as well. Every club at times goes through a re-build, some are forced into it by losing players for various reasons all at once such as Covid issues, work issues, travel, $$$$$ being offered to some players, retirements, injuries, demographics [ too many teams in one area ] etc etc etc. They'll be right - V's Up.
Well said .....

Not much to report from Parkdale. Their Supers team had a bye which allowed them to field a ressies team. Great effort to do so and despite the score line that should be counted as a win for Parkdale. Seniors went as expected. We are either unfit, underdone or unlucky but injury toll continues to mount. Have already turned over close to 40 in the seniors and that is likely to increase. Fortunately depth is ok.

My first look at this venue. Outstanding facility with a great deck and if not used for finals it should be. Must say their supporters have stuck fat as well. They were very well supported with a decent crowd in attendance and in the rooms post game. Hope they are not lost to the VAFA but everything I heard yesterday suggests they are looking elsewhere for 2022.

B grade highlight this round obviously the Roy’s winning with a kick after the siren with a set shot from 50 that never looked like missing. With 18 players behind the ball I’m not sure how a Roys player got free but credit for slotting a clutch goal from a fair way out.

Haileybury and Blacks looking unstoppable. I said after Rd 6 that the 4 was already set. Now a two game and % gap between 4th and 5th and those chasing need to get busy if that is to change.

Haileybury are very good, and should be with the senior list they have. Withstood first half pressure and went to town in the second, very even across the ground.
Willy started well but couldn’t keep up the standard,
Will be interesting to see how haileybury fair if when they don’t have all there VFL players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back