B Section Premier B - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Fitzroy need to add either 'Old', 'School', 'College' or 'Grammarians' to their name ... then they'll get a fair go!

After all, you guys "are the boys from Old Fitzroy", wearing the colours maroon and blue ...
Believe me it would make no difference. The VAFA tribunal has been dispensing absurd adjudications for decades. And they don’t discriminate. They are equally inept and incompetent for district, school and uni based clubs. Calling it a lottery would be too kind. Its a ship show and has been for years.

Calsher Dear (Son of Paul) was available to play for Beaumaris last weekend as the Sandi Dragons weren't playing. The club decided to play him in the 19's..... He kicked a lazy 14 goals 6 behinds and had 30 possessions.

Why wasn't he playing in the senior team??? Seniors go down by 10 points and find themselves out of the 4 at the wrong end of the year.

Calsher Dear (Son of Paul) was available to play for Beaumaris last weekend as the Sandi Dragons weren't playing. The club decided to play him in the 19's..... He kicked a lazy 14 goals 6 behinds and had 30 possessions.

Why wasn't he playing in the senior team??? Seniors go down by 10 points and find themselves out of the 4 at the wrong end of the year.
No one has a crystal ball, Beaumaris have plenty of good players in the Reserves , the 4 point ladder loss was due to the Senior Coach so see how the next Month plays out , see Diggins is back this week

Fair to say the VAFA tribunal is a strange one.
Fitzroy player, after tackling a Bernards player, shoved him forcefully in the chest with an open palm. Silly act, but STB player was fine, no carry on, and was awarded a free kick.
BUT .. ump thought it was a clenched fist and sent Roys player off.
Was offered three match suspension. Understandably, decided to front the tribunal. Both players and two witness players standing nearby said it was an open hand, nothing in it. Ump said it was a right-hand punch (Player is a leftie). Tribunal deliberated for one minute and found him guilty, then added another match due to suspension in 2019.
Four matches for a shove.
Club immediately began process of lodging an appeal. Was informed by VAFA it is not allowed to appeal.
(Funny, as Fitzroy found out one-hour before its 2022 semi-final that a gun Haileybury forward had successfully appealed a suspension and was playing).
Is there any footage of the incident?

An intriguing last few rounds coming up in B grade

Geelong (9 wins) has the bottom two sides and barring a catastrophe will finish on 11 wins. Likewise Beaumaris (9 wins) have two very winnable games and should also finish on 11.

DLS and STBM (both 10 wins) play each other next round. In Rd 18 DLS have Fitzroy away which shapes as a loss. STBM have Willy at home which, based on Willy’s away record, they should win comfortably. If DLS defeat STBM, % means they are a lock to play finals. Lose and they probably miss out. We then have the very real scenario of 4 teams finishing on 11 wins with % separating 3rd and 6th.

While anything can happen, over the course of the season St Bernards have been head and shoulders above the rest and should salute comfortably. Based on current lists the runner up might be in for a very long season in Premier next year. All would need a massive injection of talent and depth to be competitive in Premier division. For the sake of the competition it would be good to see Fitzroy in Premier next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong (9 wins) has the bottom two sides and barring a catastrophe will finish on 11 wins. Likewise Beaumaris (9 wins) have two very winnable games and should also finish on 11.

DLS and STBM (both 10 wins) play each other next round. In Rd 18 DLS have Fitzroy away which shapes as a loss. STBM have Willy at home which, based on Willy’s away record, they should win comfortably. If DLS defeat STBM, % means they are a lock to play finals. Lose and they probably miss out. We then have the very real scenario of 4 teams finishing on 11 wins with % separating 3rd and 6th.

While anything can happen, over the course of the season St Bernards have been head and shoulders above the rest and should salute comfortably. Based on current lists the runner up might be in for a very long season in Premier next year. All would need a massive injection of talent and depth to be competitive in Premier division. For the sake of the competition it would be good to see Fitzroy in Premier next season.
Agree JJ

But aren’t Fitzroy a district side and therefore unable to ever make A grade due to the nasty ammos who can only support old boy clubs?
Sorry but I couldn’t resist...

Agree JJ

But aren’t Fitzroy a district side and therefore unable to ever make A grade due to the nasty ammos who can only support old boy clubs?
Sorry but I couldn’t resist...
I know. The cheek of them to have the temerity to perhaps play in A grade. Just like Beaumaris a few years back and the countless other clubs over the years. No doubt there are challenges but if the stars align and you are good enough then you can make it. Likewise you can go into freefall pretty quickly. I think most impartial VAFA followers would love to see Fitzroy in A grade next year. I know I would

I made some comments on another thread about the difficulties encountered by nearly all clubs at the moment, irrespective of school, uni, district or religious affiliation. Probably not the place to post it here but I might roll it out on the ‘General’ discussion thread when it inevitably gets raised again.

Agree, I think it would be wonderful to see Fitzroy get promoted up to premier section. They have all their men's sides playing finals / in contention to play finals. They seem to have helped form a great community club with a good supply of juniors from their local club.

Plenty of permutations and combinations will be looked at over the next few weeks in terms of results predicting for spots 2,3 and 4 in the Premier B finals, but it's great to see sides having so much to play for at this time of year and not just having to go through the last couple of rounds going through the motions pre-finals.

Agree, I think it would be wonderful to see Fitzroy get promoted up to premier section. They have all their men's sides playing finals / in contention to play finals. They seem to have helped form a great community club with a good supply of juniors from their local club.

Plenty of permutations and combinations will be looked at over the next few weeks in terms of results predicting for spots 2,3 and 4 in the Premier B finals, but it's great to see sides having so much to play for at this time of year and not just having to go through the last couple of rounds going through the motions pre-finals.
Amazing that they have such a big junior club and 2 under 17 sides each year but still can’t field a 19s team.

Beaumaris - the club that keeps on giving !!!!

"the middle part of the ladder continues to be tight as Beaumaris mount a finals race which started with them defeating Old Geelong on the weekend"

I think the scribe failed to inform the readers that Beaumaris were deducted 4 points and created this 'finals race' all by themselves. I'm all for excitement and drawing in of the reader but please include the reasons for their ladder position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back