B Section Premier B - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Was a high quality free flowing game. DLS found themselves 35 points down early in the 3rd but managed to pull it back to a manageable margin by ¾ time. Beauy always looked the most likely and still led by 23 points halfway through the last Q but DLS kicked 4 late goals, including the leveller with just seconds on the clock. Beaumaris kicked the only goal of extra time through a questionable free kick, but on balance they were the better side on the day and despite their points troubles, are clearly the second-best team in B grade this year.

They should easily account for Fitzroy next week. Will give St Bernards a run but the Snow dogs should prevail in the GF. Beauy v Fitzroy in the prelim guarantees a district side in A grade next year. Good result and shows what’s possible. If Beaumaris make the GF, this will be their third promotion to 'A' grade since 2012.

Would love to have won a final but as God Yeah said we are miles of being a competitive 'A' grade club just yet.
Prelim at Bundoora

View attachment 1801244

Visit the awards night thread:
OTP
Thank you very much again for coordinating the Prem B tipping comp,

Think Beauy will win today as much as I love to Fitzroy get up, I think they have lost their mojo,

Great effort by my old mob at The Garvey yesterday. 20 years ago the Reds were running around in the lower reaches of D grade, and now the current crop are bringing A grade footy to Brunswick Street.

I’m not familiar with too many players on the field these days, but still know a few faces off it and I was happy to see Joan, Sharon, Bill, CT and others there and rapt for them when the siren sounded.

The team nearly blew it mind you after being 6 goals up at 3/4 time, but they steadied with three late goals. Didn’t enjoy seeing a couple of Sharks players verballing the young boundary umpire in the last quarter, or the supporters kicking out some of the fence pailings. There’s no need for that rubbish under any circumstance, but was the only downside on an otherwise terrific day.

Last edited:
Great effort by my old mob at The Garvey yesterday. 20 years ago the Reds were running around in the lower reaches of D grade, and now the current crop are bringing A grade footy to Brunswick Street.

I’m not familiar with too many players on the field these days, but still know a few faces off it and I was happy to see Joan, Sharon, Bill, CT and others there and rapt for them when the siren sounded.

The team nearly blew it mind you after being 6 goals up at 3/4 time, but they steadied with three late goals. Didn’t enjoy seeing a couple of Sharks players verballing the young boundary umpire in the last quarter. There’s no need for that rubbish under any circumstance, but was the only downside on an otherwise terrific day.
Sensational effort by the Roys, Mappa. Remarkable effort from 22 one pointers, nearly all former Fitzroy juniors.
As for Beauy, I think the club needs to have a good look at what they stand for. Game began with their reserves players etc, lining the race and loudly booing and jeering Fitzroy as they ran onto the field. Then spent the whole game abusing opposition players, supporters and umpires. One approached the umps at three-quarter time to abuse them. Ended with some knuckleheads kicking holes in the picket fence at Garvey Oval. Overall a really disappointing display by the Sharks crew.

... entirely due to the distressing lack of promised bacon and egg rolls at the canteen, I'll be bound.

There was some carry on from some Hampton U19s supporters behind the goals at the end of the U19s, I guess finals footy brings out the passion sometimes. But no place for the Sharks behaviour in our game.

Great to see the Roys make it.

Seemed all was civil when I left early in the final quarter but to hear stories about the above might lead to some conduct unbecoming type stuff
Was "spirited" for most part, but got silly towards the end, resulting in the damage. On the plus side (and it comes as no shock to me, knowing a few of the Fitzroy people), the Reds tidied up and left their changeroom very clean and tidy.

Certainly a result I didn't see coming.

Well done to Fitzroy, bucking a recent form trend to secure their way into the GF and subsequently the top division.

Possibly some sole searching to be done at Beaumaris, missed at the final hurdle for another season. I'm not sure if the administrative miscalculations derailed them in the back half of the season or where they just all out of petrol tickets following the extra time victory the week before.

With OH and Caulfield coming down, next year might be the final chance before the 'pack' behind them catches up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly a result I didn't see coming.

Well done to Fitzroy, bucking a recent form trend to secure their way into the GF and subsequently the top division.

Possibly some sole searching to be done at Beaumaris, missed at the final hurdle for another season. I'm not sure if the administrative miscalculations derailed them in the back half of the season or where they just all out of petrol tickets following the extra time victory the week before.

With OH and Caulfield coming down, next year might be the final chance before the 'pack' behind them catches up.

The way the Roys played was so effective. And Beauy got frustrated and made so incredibly silly errors particularly in the 2nd quarter.

With Bernies having a good supporter base also, HQ will be a busy place Saturday. Quite possibly have the biggest crowd of the remaining grand finals and by some distance.

Sensational effort by the Roys, Mappa. Remarkable effort from 22 one pointers, nearly all former Fitzroy juniors.
As for Beauy, I think the club needs to have a good look at what they stand for. Game began with their reserves players etc, lining the race and loudly booing and jeering Fitzroy as they ran onto the field. Then spent the whole game abusing opposition players, supporters and umpires. One approached the umps at three-quarter time to abuse them. Ended with some knuckleheads kicking holes in the picket fence at Garvey Oval. Overall a really disappointing display by the Sharks crew.
Expect nothing less from the '' Silver Spoons '' at Banksia !!!! obviously haven't changed.

I think despite Fitzroy putting in a great showing all year that the boys from West Essendon will get the win here.

My tip is St Bernards by 31 points with Jordan Farrell to win the Cordner Medal.

Did anyone get to the GF? The best side all year got the win as was expected.

I'd certainly like to hear any insights as to where the game was won and also how will both teams go in Prem A next season.

Did anyone get to the GF? The best side all year got the win as was expected.

I'd certainly like to hear any insights as to where the game was won and also how will both teams go in Prem A next season.

We kicked with a slight breeze in the first, Bernies defenders had a few moments where they crapped their daks and we should have been further up really. After QT it was a bit of an arm wrestle until 3QT - they used their spread a lot better, our backline stood up big time (N. Ligris outstanding) and Bernies fluffed a few chances OOF.

Three goals in three minutes to start the final term - Roys didn't even look close to winning a clearance. Looked like being a 10 goal margin at one stage, but the game was fought out bravely and mids seemed a bit more switched on around halfway through the quarter after the shock of the blitz. Entertaining game and lots to be proud of, the better team won and did in a way that I'd say many expected.

We kicked with a slight breeze in the first, Bernies defenders had a few moments where they crapped their daks and we should have been further up really. After QT it was a bit of an arm wrestle until 3QT - they used their spread a lot better, our backline stood up big time (N. Ligris outstanding) and Bernies fluffed a few chances OOF.

Three goals in three minutes to start the final term - Roys didn't even look close to winning a clearance. Looked like being a 10 goal margin at one stage, but the game was fought out bravely and mids seemed a bit more switched on around halfway through the quarter after the shock of the blitz. Entertaining game and lots to be proud of, the better team won and did in a way that I'd say many expected.

Thanks for that - good insights.

FWIW interesting times down bayside way, arguably StBedes have lost their 3 best players to Dingley and Diggins has gone for cash too. SFNL & MPNFL deep pockets it seems.

Heard there could me more as well
Looks like both Garside boys have gone back to Euroa again.

As one St Bedes person said to me “we didn’t realise how hard it would be to get out of B grade”. They simply thought they would go straight back up to A grade and this will be their fifth season back in B grade next year.

I feel for clubs like this, as their top talent will always get looked at in B grade to go elsewhere. It’s one thing at Collegians we have done really well, which is by staying in A grade it becomes much easier to attract and retain high quality players and people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back