C Section Premier C 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Highett ground has been resurfaced and is very much like the surface at Kew. Much better than the Mentone playing fields which are a bog when it rains and has the bench areas as far away as possible from the rooms.

Fair enough, the ground at Keysborough was in great nick a couple of weeks ago but can see it becoming a bog in heavy rain

Keysborough fields Mr Bedford

Re Kew .. certainly better than their ex coach ... only one bloke who gave me the ships .. it was testy on the field .. they gave one of our blokes plenty but he was vocal also and had the last laugh kicking 5 majors .

They're certainly always passionate there
That bloke (Number 42 for all those playing at home and keen to negate his influence) who kicked five majors certainly liked to let everyone know about what he was doing out on the field and what everyone else was doing wrong. The chirp died when the pressure was up in the third term but came back with five minutes left and he was potting our club. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he was pretty good with the loose ball. Not sure if he'll be quite as handy at the business end when it is do or die.

I knew the numbers didn't change, I was just interested. Great community spirit I say.
In the end it's all bigger than a football game. Would be nice to win one but I think Kew knows where we have to improve, and one of those areas is being a community leader amongst community clubs, like West Brunswick, Hawthorn and Fitzroy. I love the VAFA but can't say I've been too excited with some of the moves away from that reputation as a competition with St Kevins bringing in a whole bunch of AFL players. They're not the first, and they certainly won't be the last, but it does raise the question... what does the competition stand for if it isn't really an amateur competition at heart?

Big game this week between Ivanhoe and Kew. I am personally yet to play Old Ivanhoe but I hear good things, and Mitris comes off as a class leader. Seems like a good fella. A win for Kew will put them right back in the race for survival. I'm not even going to talk about the implications of a result the other way!

How many players from Premier C might be in contention for a Big V call-up for the game against AFL Victoria Country later this season on current club form at the moment?

The Highett ground has been resurfaced and is very much like the surface at Kew. Much better than the Mentone playing fields which are a bog when it rains and has the bench areas as far away as possible from the rooms.

Forecast isn't good....could be a scrap...

That bloke (Number 42 for all those playing at home and keen to negate his influence) who kicked five majors certainly liked to let everyone know about what he was doing out on the field and what everyone else was doing wrong. The chirp died when the pressure was up in the third term but came back with five minutes left and he was potting our club. Not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he was pretty good with the loose ball. Not sure if he'll be quite as handy at the business end when it is do or die.

He's always got plenty to say. But he's the first to shake hands after the game. Played a different role up forward on the weekend and enjoyed it. He's actually pretty hard at the footy.

Could be a couple at the Fields im tipping

Please……the only way any C grade players will get called up is if big numbers of A grade players decide not to get involved. With the general indifference towards rep footy these days I guess that is not entirely out of the question.

While it would never happen, if everyone were available aside from George Burbury there would two or three full sides of A and B grade players selected before anyone from C grade got a look in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please……the only way any C grade players will get called up is if big numbers of A grade players decide not to get involved. With the general indifference towards rep footy these days I guess that is not entirely out of the question.

While it would never happen, if everyone were available aside from George Burbury there would two or three full sides of A and B grade players selected before anyone from C grade got a look in.
Apologies. I misread I thought you were referring to B to D1

He's always got plenty to say. But he's the first to shake hands after the game. Played a different role up forward on the weekend and enjoyed it. He's actually pretty hard at the footy.
Fair call. One of the good things about the league. Excepting for the occasional boofhead, no one goes on with it after a game. Clearly very damaging when he gets his hand on the pill. I think it is very clear that you'll be in the top few at the end of the year. Really even season though - Williamstown seem to be a bit of a smoky.

Last edited:
In the end it's all bigger than a football game. Would be nice to win one but I think Kew knows where we have to improve, and one of those areas is being a community leader amongst community clubs, like West Brunswick, Hawthorn and Fitzroy. I love the VAFA but can't say I've been too excited with some of the moves away from that reputation as a competition with St Kevins bringing in a whole bunch of AFL players. They're not the first, and they certainly won't be the last, but it does raise the question... what does the competition stand for if it isn't really an amateur competition at heart?

Big game this week between Ivanhoe and Kew. I am personally yet to play Old Ivanhoe but I hear good things, and Mitris comes off as a class leader. Seems like a good fella. A win for Kew will put them right back in the race for survival. I'm not even going to talk about the implications of a result the other way!

What is a "community" club?

I am just trying to work out if you are saying they are paying players with your comment about it not really being amateur at heart?

What is a "community" club?

I am just trying to work out if you are saying they are paying players with your comment about it not really being amateur at heart?
Not saying they are paying players but questioning why a number of former AFL footballers are ending up at a destination without a prior allegiance... Seems a little convenient for my liking.

A community club/district club. One without attachment to a school or university, just an attachment to a suburb or area.

Not saying they are paying players but questioning why a number of former AFL footballers are ending up at a destination without a prior allegiance... Seems a little convenient for my liking.

A community club/district club. One without attachment to a school or university, just an attachment to a suburb or area.

So are you insinuating they are doing something or I don't get the reference. I think all clubs think they are a "community" club as all players are welcome.

So are you insinuating they are doing something or I don't get the reference. I think all clubs think they are a "community" club as all players are welcome.
Insinuating that questions should be asked of the integrity of the competition, yes. Why are Mitch Brown, Jay Schultz, Steven Salopek, James Strauss and Mark Jamar playing for St Kevins over the whole host of other clubs, some of whom play in leagues where they pay big money for big names, particularly when they have no attachment to the club from their junior days? Of course there are questions to be asked, even if it is just of third party investment from stakeholders within the club to high profile players. I have nothing against SKOB at all, just know a bunch of players at the club are disgruntled with a direction that screams desperation for relevancy in the VAFA. They are undoubtedly a good team to watch and still have a host of very good homegrown players.

Of course they do and that's fantastic, but many clubs in the VAFA have a private school or university that has its name associated with the product so they feed money, resources and a prominent voice (some a lot, some not much) into the development and growth of the club. For the most powerful it also influences the way the league is run. Something that clubs without that tie to a powerful body do not have. It's just the system that we work in.

Insinuating that questions should be asked of the integrity of the competition, yes. Why are Mitch Brown, Jay Schultz, Steven Salopek, James Strauss and Mark Jamar playing for St Kevins over the whole host of other clubs, some of whom play in leagues where they pay big money for big names, particularly when they have no attachment to the club from their junior days? Of course there are questions to be asked, even if it is just of third party investment from stakeholders within the club to high profile players. I have nothing against SKOB at all, just know a bunch of players at the club are disgruntled with a direction that screams desperation for relevancy in the VAFA. They are undoubtedly a good team to watch and still have a host of very good homegrown players.

Of course they do and that's fantastic, but many clubs in the VAFA have a private school or university that has its name associated with the product so they feed money, resources and a prominent voice (some a lot, some not much) into the development and growth of the club. For the most powerful it also influences the way the league is run. Something that clubs without that tie to a powerful body do not have. It's just the system that we work in.

The answer is quite simple. Most long-term AFL players have been in the system since they were 18 years old and most finish up with no other skills. Clubs like St Kevin's have the contacts to help them transition into life after football. They also have networks who are prepared to pay for example 80k to an unqualified person who might otherwise earn 50k on the proviso they play football for the old boys. They are not the first to do but have certainly taken it to another level.

They should be complimented for enticing 6 or 7 ex AFL players to their club who had no previous connection to the school. What they are doing is within the rules so good on them. While they have some serious AFL talent, it should be noted that they have some significant home grown talent running around in their seniors this year also.

On paper they have assembled an extraordinary group, perhaps the best ever. Whether they become a great team will only be known in the fullness of time.

The answer is quite simple. Most long-term AFL players have been in the system since they were 18 years old and most finish up with no other skills. Clubs like St Kevin's have the contacts to help them transition into life after football. They also have networks who are prepared to pay for example 80k to an unqualified person who might otherwise earn 50k on the proviso they play football for the old boys. They are not the first to do but have certainly taken it to another level.

They should be complimented for enticing 6 or 7 ex AFL players to their club who had no previous connection to the school. What they are doing is within the rules so good on them. While they have some serious AFL talent, it should be noted that they have some significant home grown talent running around in their seniors this year also.

On paper they have assembled an extraordinary group, perhaps the best ever. Whether they become a great team will only be known in the fullness of time.
Like you I have no doubt that has occurred over time. However, the way you put it at least has the potential to contravene the VAFA amateur status guidelines. That said, under the current integrity set-up it would be more likely for the Pope to become the next English Monarch than it would be for any club to be found to have definitely acted in a manner that contravened the guidelines.

Like you I have no doubt that has occurred over time. However, the way you put it at least has the potential to contravene the VAFA amateur status guidelines. That said, under the current integrity set-up it would be more likely for the Pope to become the next English Monarch than it would be for any club to be found to have definitely acted in a manner that contravened the guidelines.

Has been going on for years but has now gone to another level. Impossible to police and unless the VAFA dictate to clubs how much you can pay and employee there is zero that can be done about it. Clearly clubs can no longer rely on juniors and old boys. I would suggest that in a few years clubs will have to vigorously adopt this model if they want to contend for a flag in the top grade. Most simply don’t have the resources to do so.

Of course they do and that's fantastic, but many clubs in the VAFA have a private school or university that has its name associated with the product so they feed money, resources and a prominent voice (some a lot, some not much) into the development and growth of the club. For the most powerful it also influences the way the league is run. Something that clubs without that tie to a powerful body do not have. It's just the system that we work in.[/]
They're there because we work our arse off in recruiting, networking, personal job coaching, pastoral care and most importantly because they want to play with their mates post AFL.
We would rather them be playing with us than against us, long may it continue. All VAFA clubs play under the same rules, go for it.

Last edited:
Has been going on for years but has now gone to another level. Impossible to police and unless the VAFA dictate to clubs how much you can pay and employee there is zero that can be done about it. Clearly clubs can no longer rely on juniors and old boys. I would suggest that in a few years clubs will have to vigorously adopt this model if they want to contend for a flag in the top grade. Most simply don’t have the resources to do so.
JJ, we are in agreement that it has most likely been occurring over time and that the prospect of being detected under the recent and present integrity set-up is negligible. However, the terms and conditions of any employment specifically arranged by a club or someone associated with the club as a condition of that person playing for that club have to be "...consistent with current commercial practices". If that is not the case they are in contravention of the guidelines as they stand.

In many fields the income range commensurate with a given job should be relatively easy to ascertain in the majority of cases, particularly if the person is working in an unskilled job.

All that said, you wouldn't have to be a theoretical physicist to circumvent the system if you had a mind to. Of course, there would be no club that would do that these days as purely playing for the love of the game is sufficient. Right Canada?

The power of the love of the game is extremely strong. Search your feelings AM. You know it to be true..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back