C Section Premier C - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say if TAB Sportsbet decided to run a market on the VAFA Premier C premiership, who would be the bookies's favourites heading into the 2020 season?

With knowing little to nothing about the teams in this division, and basing off last years results in Prem B/Prem C/D1, and the standard pre-season here-say on these forums I would (not literally) offer something like this for the sake of discussion:

Ormond - $5.50
Old Geelong - $6.00
Old Mentonians - $6.50
Monash Blues - $7.00
Old Ivanhoe - $7.00
Mazenod - $8.00
Marcellin - $12
Hampton Rovers - $17
Preston Bullants - $21
UHS-VU - $26

Will now prepare myself for the barrage of responses from Marcellin/Hampton/Preston/UHS posters explaining why I'm an incompetent bookmaker :)

In 2019, if you take out Willy and Pegs, most games were very competitive with only 5 wins separating 3rd from 8th. What news is there on the 2 teams coming up and the 2 coming down to Prem C? Do we expect a very even season again?

With knowing little to nothing about the teams in this division, and basing off last years results in Prem B/Prem C/D1, and the standard pre-season here-say on these forums I would (not literally) offer something like this for the sake of discussion:

Ormond - $5.50
Old Geelong - $6.00
Old Mentonians - $6.50
Monash Blues - $7.00
Old Ivanhoe - $7.00
Mazenod - $8.00
Marcellin - $12
Hampton Rovers - $17
Preston Bullants - $21
UHS-VU - $26

Will now prepare myself for the barrage of responses from Marcellin/Hampton/Preston/UHS posters explaining why I'm an incompetent bookmaker :)

My odds would be slightly different

Old Geelong $4
Ormond - $5.50
Monash $7.00
Old Ivanhoe $7.00
Old Mentonians - $9.00
UHS-VU - $12.00
Mazenod - $13.00
Marcellin - $15.00
Hampton Rovers - $21.00
Preston Bullants - $51.00

My odds would be slightly different

Old Geelong $4
Ormond - $5.50
Monash $7.00
Old Ivanhoe $7.00
Old Mentonians - $9.00
UHS-VU - $12.00
Mazenod - $13.00
Marcellin - $15.00
Hampton Rovers - $21.00
Preston Bullants - $51.00

Wondering why you've got UHS so high? Intel maybe? Let's not forget they were in Division 3 in 2017 and are only in C Grade because of an after-the-siren win in extra time in the Prelim final. It's been a massive rise to get where they are.

Based on what I saw last year I think both Preston and UHS will be solid, however unless they've both recruited really well neither will have the depth to really challenge the top teams in C Grade. Preston's top-end is very good but their reserves were terrible. UHS probably lacked stars compared to Preston but were more even across the board. Their reserves were definitely better and younger.

Have heard Ivanhoe have confirmed the return of Dave Bruno and Paul Stienickie (Northcote Park) in the ruck
Wondering why you've got UHS so high? Intel maybe? Let's not forget they were in Division 3 in 2017 and are only in C Grade because of an after-the-siren win in extra time in the Prelim final. It's been a massive rise to get where they are.

Based on what I saw last year I think both Preston and UHS will be solid, however unless they've both recruited really well neither will have the depth to really challenge the top teams in C Grade. Preston's top-end is very good but their reserves were terrible. UHS probably lacked stars compared to Preston but were more even across the board. Their reserves were definitely better and younger.

UHS potentially have two key signings including a former EDFL div 2 leading goal kicker, huge depth as well.
Preston has lost more than 1/3 of there team from last year from what I'm hearing.

West Coast only won the flag in 2018 only because Dom Sheed kicked a goal at the death (and how sweet it was). How they got there is irrelevant. Being on the receiving end of defeats against UHS in the 2018 GF, and then twice last year I can tell you that if they play their same style, they'll be competitive in C grade. They use the footy very well, and transition from one end to the other quickly and efficiently. Obviously Preston found a way to combat that, but they'll be okay.

I personally thought Kew were better than both of them, but they strangely fell away at the end of the year

Have heard Ivanhoe have confirmed the return of Dave Bruno and Paul Stienickie (Northcote Park) in the ruck

UHS potentially have two key signings including a former EDFL div 2 leading goal kicker, huge depth as well.
Preston has lost more than 1/3 of there team from last year from what I'm hearing.

EDFL div 2 is pretty junk footy so i would not think too highly of that. Article in the Herald online suggest Old Mentonians will be extremely handy, have pulled back a heap of ex alumni from St Bedes and probably more importantly have retained the top kids who historically have left for St Bedes after school footy finished.

West Coast only won the flag in 2018 only because Dom Sheed kicked a goal at the death (and how sweet it was). How they got there is irrelevant. Being on the receiving end of defeats against UHS in the 2018 GF, and then twice last year I can tell you that if they play their same style, they'll be competitive in C grade. They use the footy very well, and transition from one end to the other quickly and efficiently. Obviously Preston found a way to combat that, but they'll be okay.

I personally thought Kew were better than both of them, but they strangely fell away at the end of the year

Agree with what you say, they played a great brand and were very well-drilled. My point was more that they have had a pretty meteoric rise, and at some point you find your ceiling. I have no doubt they'll be competitive, however I question whether they will be good enough to be around the finals mark. I'm from Kew and we did the same rise up the grades 5 years ago. We recruited well from D1 to C and still finished about 4 games from the top 4 (albeit finished 5th on the ladder) Good luck to them, though, always great to see clubs on the rise and new clubs in the top grades.

The less said about my clubs final few games of 2019, the better.

Agree with what you say, they played a great brand and were very well-drilled. My point was more that they have had a pretty meteoric rise, and at some point you find your ceiling. I have no doubt they'll be competitive, however I question whether they will be good enough to be around the finals mark. I'm from Kew and we did the same rise up the grades 5 years ago. We recruited well from D1 to C and still finished about 4 games from the top 4 (albeit finished 5th on the ladder) Good luck to them, though, always great to see clubs on the rise and new clubs in the top grades.

The less said about my clubs final few games of 2019, the better.
Shame we have no hope of going past B and even that is a battle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you'd have to have Marcellin and Mazenod ahead of UHS imo.

Let’s not put too much stock in pre-season ladder predictions
All 6-7 ladder predictions had preston finishing with the wooden spoon last year

Not saying they won’t struggle
But at the end of the day, no one really knows anything until we see everyone play

Let’s not put too much stock in pre-season ladder predictions
All 6-7 ladder predictions had preston finishing with the wooden spoon last year

Not saying they won’t struggle
But at the end of the day, no one really knows anything until we see everyone play
Every time they’ve gone up a grade they’ve been written off. Sooner or later they’ll reach their ceiling though.

Massive impact.You’d have to be a bit
Silly to travel to the USA, Italy or any Asian country.

Depends how it all plays out in the next month or 2

Interesting to see if the VAFA has a contingency plan in place in the event of most teams or clubs being unable to field a side because of the Coronavirus, which (according to the medical experts) will really hit home by May.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Interesting to see if the VAFA has a contingency plan in place in the event of most teams or clubs being unable to field a side because of the Coronavirus, which (according to the medical experts) will really hit home by May.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
According to the WHO, 3 Australians per million people in this country have got the virus, you should worry more about driving your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back