C Section Premier C - 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hampton Rovers recently showed a live replay of the 1998 C Section Grand Final between the Rovers and Beaumaris, where the Rovers defied all predictions to clinch an amazing win over the Sharks by 6 points.

Seeing there’s no football (for now) because of the Coronavirus crisis, got me thinking what was the biggest upset (on-field, that is) ever in VAFA football history (in terms of club games ie h & a, finals, grand finals)?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Jas,

Old Ivanhoe also just replayed the 2013 Grand Final against Mazenod.

Mazenod was 16 and 2 on the season. They beat Marcellin by nearly 90 points in the 2nd semi and were raging hot favourites.

OI beat Monash Blues in a gale swept game at Casey.

Then coming up Marcellin on a wet slippery day, Adrian Del Monte went off kicking 8 goals, versus Marcellin's 5 goals advancing the Hoes to the Grand Final and B grade.

The Hoers got off to a flyer, kicking the 1st 3 goals, and missing several easy shots. However, Mazenod whet nuts kicking the next 7 goals, with Heath Black running rampart. Mazenod went into quarter time 4 goals up.

Hoes got back on level footing at Half and it was a similar margin at 3 quarter time.

The last quarter saw the Hoes jump out to a 12 point lead. Mazenod fought back, but a late goal saw the Hoes win by 8 points.

Jessup was best on ground with 5 goals and Adrian Del Monte had another good game with 4 (12 for the finals series). Sam Geilings was awarded the medal for a great game across the backline.

Go Hoes

To give you an idea just how big an upset Hampton Rovers win over Beaumaris was, say that the VAFA had allowed betting via TAB to bet on VAFA games (ie home & away, finals, grand finals). Heading into the 1998 C Section Grand Final, according to the bookmakers, the Sharks would’ve been very short price favourites at $1.04, Hampton Rovers $6, even though the Rovers beat St Bedes Mentone Tigers and Old Mentonians in the leadup to the grand final. The Sharks were the best team all season prior to the grand final, they finished 5 games ahead of the Rovers at the end of the regular season, in fact in the previous meeting between the two teams at Boss James Reserve, Beaumaris won by 12 goals.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Correct , most in Glen Eira being done

Great news Bedders. IMO this is one of the innovations where the VAFA is absolutely asleep at wheel. Albeit I understand the league have no control over the facilities/infrastructure of it's member clubs, but I would have thought throughout a league of 7 Divisions there would be at least a handful of clubs capable of hosting twilight fixtures? I think I can remember one in recent memory - Collegians hosted St Kevins (I think)

I know the Northern Football League have 5-6 clubs with great lights and they regularly fixture twilight games for these clubs in the first 4-5 rounds of the year before the weather gets too cold. The clubs love them.

Great news Bedders. IMO this is one of the innovations where the VAFA is absolutely asleep at wheel. Albeit I understand the league have no control over the facilities/infrastructure of it's member clubs, but I would have thought throughout a league of 7 Divisions there would be at least a handful of clubs capable of hosting twilight fixtures? I think I can remember one in recent memory - Collegians hosted St Kevins (I think)

I know the Northern Football League have 5-6 clubs with great lights and they regularly fixture twilight games for these clubs in the first 4-5 rounds of the year before the weather gets too cold. The clubs love them.
The Combine were going to play their first match at night in Div 1. Interesting that all the places were the lights are going in have been dug out , but the lights were coming from China. Surely we can do that in Aussie.

Umpired some U19 Friday Night blockbusters* at Elsternwick... atmosphere was more convivial until the real BrianSpeaking went around the ground busting everyone having a quiet can or six in their cars. Grand Final night was amazing, the lights added greatly to the occasion.

Mind you, it would make playing in a howling gale and sleet even worse.

* may be a slight exaggeration

Umpired some U19 Friday Night blockbusters* at Elsternwick... atmosphere was more convivial until the real BrianSpeaking went around the ground busting everyone having a quiet can or six in their cars. Grand Final night was amazing, the lights added greatly to the occasion.

Mind you, it would make playing in a howling gale and sleet even worse.

* may be a slight exaggeration
Perhaps, possibly, maybe, potentially had your attention been directed at what was occurring inside the fence rather than outside it you would have achieved that much cherished goal of a Prem GF, Postie.:p

I'm all for what the real Hair Hat did there. I was at the Claret-n-stout v Bellers night game at Trak Park that was wrecked by the piss-pottery which contributed to the end of 'em.

Surely the VAFA could do a one-off experiment by having a short spring/summer season due to the major time out wasted because of the Coronavirus crisis. Something like a 9 game home & away season plus a 3 week finals series starting in late August and finishing in early November.

Perhaps, possibly, maybe, potentially had your attention been directed at what was occurring inside the fence rather than outside it you would have achieved that much cherished goal of a Prem GF, Postie.:p

I'm all for what the real Hair Hat did there. I was at the Claret-n-stout v Bellers night game at Trak Park that was wrecked by the piss-pottery which contributed to the end of 'em.
Agree AM. It was very untidy. A good number of VAFA players/followers came straight from their respective after match functions and continued festivities. To make matters worse there was a sanctioned piss up during the match in the rooms above the grand stand attended by some from HQ. This led to cries of hypocrisy when the inevitable outrage from Sholly and co arrived. A half cut VAFA offiical who I won't name tried to play bouncer with some patrons at half time which just added to the chaos. The whole thing was an absolute ship show.

The game (a spiteful affair won by the bellers by a single point) was played in near darkness. The lights were good but poorly directed with some sections of the crowd so illuminated you would swear it was daylight. We did play the same fixture the following year but it was a much more circumspect affair. I think the final nail was some racial abuse at a Colls v SKOB night game at the Trott in 2017 or thereabouts.

Surely the VAFA could do a one-off experiment by having a short spring/summer season due to the major time out wasted because of the Coronavirus crisis. Something like a 9 game home & away season plus a 3 week finals series starting in late August and finishing in early November.

Gee wiz

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well there you go. The Bellers were far more circumspect at my games. Except for me metaphorically spraying my coffee over the scorecard when a bescarfed La Sallian complained VERY loudly to anyone in earshot that his miserable s**t of a father bought him a one-year-old BMW and not the new one he wanted. My attention was easily split on that occasion as it was the 149-0 drubbing of some minnows and I only had a bit of flag-waving practice to do for half the game. That, and sympathise with the players from both teams sitting and chatting inside the 45.

Well don't bother ffs, it's something that a lot of people need . Maybe Brian was right !
Nup - he was wrong, on many fronts, for far too long.

As is any suggestion that a local football competition could somehow operate into the October/November months on local grounds. That was my point.

Surely Sth Caulfield CC won’t be standing back and allowing Old Haileybury to play football on Princes Park after 1/9/2020? Or the Glen Eira Council?

Nup - he was wrong, on many fronts, for far too long.

As is any suggestion that a local football competition could somehow operate into the October/November months on local grounds. That was my point.

Surely Sth Caulfield CC won’t be standing back and allowing Old Haileybury to play football on Princes Park after 1/9/2020? Or the Glen Eira Council?
Seeing as you have little idea on cricket , just letting you know that cricket is working on a shortened season . All sports and people need to work together in these times and some need to get their head out of their arse. What is your interest in South Caulfield.

Seeing as you have little idea on cricket , just letting you know that cricket is working on a shortened season . All sports and people need to work together in these times and some need to get their head out of their arse. What is your interest in South Caulfield.
Nil - I just know they’re a co-tenant of a ground used by a VAFA club. So if cricket is already working on the basis of a shortened season, is that because they are expecting to start late? If so, there must be a presumption that sports like cricket can’t resume as early as they usually do. So why would local football?

Nil - I just know they’re a co-tenant of a ground used by a VAFA club. So if cricket is already working on the basis of a shortened season, is that because they are expecting to start late? If so, there must be a presumption that sports like cricket can’t resume as early as they usually do. So why would local football?
What parts don't you read , I said cricket with help from the Gov will play their part.

Cricket clubs have been told to prepare for a later start to accommodate an extended football season. Whether we get any community footy in 2020 remains to be seen but that is the rationale behind those discussions at the moment.

Clearly if things go south and we don’t get an easing of restrictions then it is all irrelevant. But plans are well advanced to re-align the usual football/cricket seasonal arrangements.

Cricket clubs have been told to prepare for a later start to accommodate an extended football season. Whether we get any community footy in 2020 remains to be seen but that is the rationale behind those discussions at the moment.

Clearly if things go south and we don’t get an easing of restrictions then it is all irrelevant. But plans are well advanced to re-align the usual football/cricket seasonal arrangements.
Correct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back