Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

OI
OG
Ormond
Marcellin
Monash

I would look for the Preston v Monash game to be very close. Preston will surprise a few people this year. What are people's ladder predictions?

OI
OG
Ormond
Marcellin
Monash

I would look for the Preston v Monash game to be very close. Preston will surprise a few people this year. What are people's ladder predictions?

1. O
2. O
3. O
4. HR
5. M
6. M
7. OM
8. MB
9. P - depth will be their issue
10. U

Max “too close to call” Leader

I agree for the most part there Max.

Ormond
Old Geelong
Old Ivanhoe
Hampton
Monash
Marcellin
Mazenod
Preston
Old Mentone
UHS-VU

I would not be surprised if any of the 4 through 9 made a push for finals. I would be surprised if any of the top three did not make finals, however. UHS-VU will struggle to stay up this year. Too many massive outs and jumping up a grade which arguably has not been this strong for a few years.

Ormond
Old Geelong
Old Ivanhoe
Hampton
Monash
Marcellin
Mazenod
Preston
Old Mentone
UHS-VU

I would not be surprised if any of the 4 through 9 made a push for finals. I would be surprised if any of the top three did not make finals, however. UHS-VU will struggle to stay up this year. Too many massive outs and jumping up a grade which arguably has not been this strong for a few years.

Agree RE the top 3.

Interesting about UHS, who have they lost? If I recall correctly, pre-2020 some posters were bullish about their chances considering they'd apparently had an influx of good players from the EDFL. Personally, I had them as a better chance of staying up than Preston, despite the 2019 Grand Final result. UHS had a pretty even side and decent depth in the twos and threes. Preston had a great top-end but relied on them, and no depth, and I believe lost a couple of good players to Northcote Park.

Again, a year ago and a lot may have changed but didn't Old Mentonians recruit really well pre-2020 with some ex A/B Grade players?

Ormond
Old Geelong
Old Ivanhoe
Hampton
Monash
Marcellin
Mazenod
Preston
Old Mentone
UHS-VU

Hampton 4th? Reasons?

UHS-VU lost Brandon Jackson (BOG 2017 GF, Comp B&F 2018, 78 goals 2018), Tom Waters (4 goals in 2018 GF) and Nick Devereux (24 goals in 2019, BOG 2018 GF and Premiership Captain in 207). I think they have a few ins but mostly kids.

Mentone will be good, I agree. It is just almost impossible to pick 4 through 9 and believe Preston have recruited well. D1 was no slouch in 2019, and depth did not seem to be an issue.

I see Mazenod, Marcellin, Monash and Hampton as the ultimate unknowns.

Last edited:
Hampton Rovers vs Old Ivanhoe
Old Geelong
vs Mazenod
Old Mentonians vs Ormond
Marcellin
vs UHS-VU
Preston vs Monash
Hello C Graders
I’m going with these tips please for Round 1. So much looking forward to a day at the footy! Not sure where Preston play but we’ll figure it out.

Expect OGs, Monds, Hoes to be hard to beat but who knows? My mob will be thereabouts.

Believe Hampton have had quite a few blokes come back to the club who left when they got relegated in 2017. Their 19s won the flag in 2019 and have quite a few coming up. Plus Carovale will be playing with them full time. They're a good club with a god culture. Could be a dark horse for that 4th spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hello C Graders
I’m going with these tips please for Round 1. So much looking forward to a day at the footy! Not sure where Preston play but we’ll figure it out.

Expect OGs, Monds, Hoes to be hard to beat but who knows? My mob will be thereabouts.
Welcome back Les. It's been awhile.

Max "the door is always open" Leader

Hello C Graders

Welcome back Les . You have new rooms ?

Just letting you know that there will be no Boundary Umpires provided for Premier C this week, and most of the year.

Bedders is looks like you and me back in the whites.

Max “recovering from another knee op” Leader

Wow, that's... bullshit. Unbelievable. Boundaries were a commodity that was always in good supply. Wonder what happened to cause such a dramatic loss of numbers?
Even in Prem B, there are two games with one provided Boundary umpire.
In Prem A there is only one game with 3 field umpires.

Treating Haydn like crap has come back to bite them big time.

Even in Prem B, there are two games with one provided Boundary umpire.
In Prem A there is only one game with 3 field umpires.

Treating Haydn like crap has come back to bite them big time.
Payment of boundary umps being the same as goal umpires despite goal umps being a physically easy job hence anyone who does sign up wants to wave flags ... Let's also talk about the lack of on time payment of umps over the past 3 season 17 18 19.. At times half a season late, the fact that they paid those umpire coaches 6 months late in 2019 to then pay them in installments . Let's also touch on the lack of or should I say zero recruitment budget and zero recruitment strategies . the lack of investment in coaches and growing coaching number a to fit the 100s and 100s of umps you have and the lack of observers. anyone outside the top beet of umps be it field boundary or goal are not seen or coached in a way that makes them want to stay or feel like they belong beyond 12 to 18 mths. These issues are a board and CEO fault and are not related to COVID and are also a broader view of the unhealthy state the comp is in. the board must go as to should the CEO

VAFA website has info re umpires 3 to 4 years out of date, And why did it take till mid March to appoint a umpires coach ? And late Feb to appoint someone to run training ?? Do our overlords not work from October till Feb ? Also what is the job of the VAFA umpiring department is it to supply AFL umpire pathway or to supply and grow umpiring to the VAFA ? I'm sure one feeds the other but the balance seems very off atm..

also a email referencing interpretations on rd 1 eve is pretty useless .. has our umpiring overlord been sitting on his hands for a month ??

Payment of boundary umps being the same as goal umpires despite goal umps being a physically easy job hence anyone who does sign up wants to wave flags ... Let's also talk about the lack of on time payment of umps over the past 3 season 17 18 19.. At times half a season late, the fact that they paid those umpire coaches 6 months late in 2019 to then pay them in installments . Let's also touch on the lack of or should I say zero recruitment budget and zero recruitment strategies . the lack of investment in coaches and growing coaching number a to fit the 100s and 100s of umps you have and the lack of observers. anyone outside the top beet of umps be it field boundary or goal are not seen or coached in a way that makes them want to stay or feel like they belong beyond 12 to 18 mths. These issues are a board and CEO fault and are not related to COVID and are also a broader view of the unhealthy state the comp is in. the board must go as to should the CEO

Goal umpires have a harder job than the boundaries which are usually just young kids, they don’t need anymore and are already probably the best paid boundaries in local football.

Also goal umpires are very well looked after, they have plenty of coaches and everyone is seen on a very regular basis.

The VAFA had an extremely productive recruitment campaign many years ago that was run by the association but ended up being stopped because it was getting too many umpires.

Also the head coach was appointed in December when the previous coach suddenly left. Yes it then takes time to fill the holes left by that vacancy, to ensure they continue to provide the best umpiring group in local footy.

From what I’ve heard the rooms were absolutely packed this week, number of fields must be pretty good, far better than other leagues which are 20-30 short without unavailabilities.

At the end of the day, every single umpiring group is massively struggling this season, if the VAFAs biggest problem is boundaries then they’re a long way ahead of other leagues.

Goal umpires have a harder job than the boundaries which are usually just young kids, they don’t need anymore and are already probably the best paid boundaries in local football.

Also goal umpires are very well looked after, they have plenty of coaches and everyone is seen on a very regular basis.

The VAFA had an extremely productive recruitment campaign many years ago that was run by the association but ended up being stopped because it was getting too many umpires.

Also the head coach was appointed in December when the previous coach suddenly left. Yes it then takes time to fill the holes left by that vacancy, to ensure they continue to provide the best umpiring group in local footy.

From what I’ve heard the rooms were absolutely packed this week, number of fields must be pretty good, far better than other leagues which are 20-30 short without unavailabilities.

At the end of the day, every single umpiring group is massively struggling this season, if the VAFAs biggest problem is boundaries then they’re a long way ahead of other leagues.
VAFA failing to provide umpires to some women's, 19s and 3rds games, No boundaries below B grade and they tell clubs this on Thursday night / Friday morning . I'll say again how much money has been spent on recruitment in the past 7 years ? how much further money has been invested in coaches ? why did the previous coach quit on short notice ? was it because he was treated like trash the previous season ?

goal umps more important than boundary .. Debatable .. I'd say all umps are important .. BUT when it comes to finding someone to fill that roll that will fall at the feet of clubs it is a lot easier to find goal umps than boundary umps and is why boundary should be paid more.

also from introduction of women's footy how much increase in recruitment budget has there been for umpires ? and what examples of programs or strategies have been funded by HQ , also re the appointment of umps coach.. it took 4 months to find the bloke already in the room ?? bizzare stuff. again another example of how terrible the board and admin has been

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back