Premier Division 2021 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No difference really.

Sponsors supply the large majority of the $250k in the higher grades (or whatever figure you want to go with) so really it is same same, just not as convoluted/veiled in paying Leagues. VAFA not the exclusive League in providing jobs. The days of relying on 'grog' sales, Sexy Sundays, etc disappeared many years ago.

You can’t really throw a blanket over all of the VAFA. The lower divisions are certainly genuine amateurs who play with mates etc. But it’s a different story at the top.

Almost all of the top players in the Amateurs are being paid somehow. Especially those ones you see just appear at a club they have zero connection to. Generally it’ll be via a job with a sponsor or supporter etc. things don’t change much at the top (the top clubs have been there forever) because those clubs have the biggest “networks” that make those things happen.

Not necessarily Bunk, Luke Ablett & Josh Van Stittart (Northern Blues Capt) played at Fitzroy just to play with their mates.

It does happen....more than you think actually.

No difference really.

Sponsors supply the large majority of the $250k in the higher grades (or whatever figure you want to go with) so really it is same same, just not as convoluted/veiled in paying Leagues. VAFA not the exclusive League in providing jobs. The days of relying on 'grog' sales, Sexy Sundays, etc disappeared many years ago.
I wonder what an auditor would discover if they went thru some of these clubs books?
You are probably right about the overall impact of grog sales nowadays. $5.00 for a cafe latte seems to the go, along with falafel rolls.

Yeah I didn't look back far enough, I understand the points. But I'm pretty sure it's 3 years, in which Rowe and Weller will be 6. 16 points between 3 (White).

Plus Zac Clarke 6, Phelan 4, Appleby’s and Smith 2each. That’s 8 players for 32. They already lost an ammo player (4 points) wanting to play EFL Premier due to points pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The big question I ask will there be home games at North Ringwood early in the season with their ground re development looking a long way from being finished at this stage.Similar Heathmont rooms and tough times ahead for Blackburn with no rooms.

When will Mitcham be finished?

Mitcham their aim is about March 24 but I doubt the sporting club and change rooms would be in use R1 but you never know.Just being able to access the new facilities is a bonus but for the clubs being able to move every thing in and work out where every thing should go is not a easy exercise.

If Quambee development is the big question leading into 2020 we are in for a boring season G. 😀

The burners will be fine.

Well lets talk about Doncaster Bob and ask the question will they be fielding a U19 team this season and even Balwyn.We all know private school football has made it really hard for senior EFNL clubs in that part of the world on Saturday mornings.

Unfortunately no 19s for us in 2020, ironically a few from out of our junior club will be in the Balwyn 19s, G. Dog eat dog for 19s in that part of the world.

Private schools yes play a part but if you head to the local high school & observe demographics of the population this provides further insight. Difficult space which is a real shame.

John Peter-Budge's sons play cricket and football at Mitcham and John even plays seniors and vets cricket there also.Is a nice a guy but the old footy injuries make life hard for him when playing cricket at times but still a very capable cricketer.
is he related to Rodney Budge from Mitcham ???

Mitcham their aim is about March 24 but I doubt the sporting club and change rooms would be in use R1 but you never know.Just being able to access the new facilities is a bonus but for the clubs being able to move every thing in and work out where every thing should go is not a easy exercise.
Drove past there today and it looks like its coming along okay, but I'm not a builder..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a chat to a co committee man the other night and were to believe that with some of the leagues requirements for the season coming up might make it impossible for any footy to be played under those restrictions. No crowds to be admitted no social functions, no after training gatherings, still fees to be paid....basically no chance for clubs to generate income, and I’d assume if clubs do have any money set aside, they’d not want to waste it on a season that is likely to be severely shortened. Also the fact the league still wants to institute relegation and promotion is short sighted. Even if the season goes ahead, the highly decreased salary cap would see a lot of players choose the chance to work instead of play for nearly nothing would impact numbers at most clubs. There are so many issues surrounding this season I can’t possibly see a fair and equitable season being able to begin. I might be on my own but I’d rather see one season affected now than seeing multiple season and many clubs affected for the foreseeable future. That’s my opinion, be interested to hear the others if anyone’s out there.

Had a chat to a co committee man the other night and were to believe that with some of the leagues requirements for the season coming up might make it impossible for any footy to be played under those restrictions. No crowds to be admitted no social functions, no after training gatherings, still fees to be paid....basically no chance for clubs to generate income, and I’d assume if clubs do have any money set aside, they’d not want to waste it on a season that is likely to be severely shortened. Also the fact the league still wants to institute relegation and promotion is short sighted. Even if the season goes ahead, the highly decreased salary cap would see a lot of players choose the chance to work instead of play for nearly nothing would impact numbers at most clubs. There are so many issues surrounding this season I can’t possibly see a fair and equitable season being able to begin. I might be on my own but I’d rather see one season affected now than seeing multiple season and many clubs affected for the foreseeable future. That’s my opinion, be interested to hear the others if anyone’s out there.
I'm a little nobody from the SFNL but have the same opinion as yourself. Its one year in a club's history that you're not participating in as opposed to possibly a lifetime, if not all club's ducks are in a row financially. Club's that think players will play for nothing or for the love of the jumper a little naive in my opinion when most are either out of work or desperate to hold onto their jobs.

In the SFNL there are a number of clubs that still owe the league money for administration fees from years ago which include a couple of 1st division clubs. Add to the fact the the league oversee a couple of lower division clubs finances to keep them from folding.

Even if metro leagues were to proceed, financial clubs would take a massive hit straight off the bottom line from the reasons I've highlighted in blue in your post. I won't label people as being shortsighted but rather those eager players & coaches desperate to get the season up and running, should think who the club's sponsors are. I bet a high percentage would be from the hotel, hospitality or travel sectors. Industries that have generated little to no revenue in the last 8 weeks due to the lockdown.

AFL Vic now have to implement protocols that have to be ticked off & abided by "leagues, clubs & councils alike". Getting councils to allow you back on grounds is another kettle of fish

AFL Vic should stop giving people hope & just call the season

Last edited:
Lowey, this is being discussed in the "NOW to sometime later in the year" thread. You should post a copy there. I am in agreement with you. Cancel the season and start again next year, far too many things to overcome and still a lot of them unknown.

Last edited:
Lowey, this is being discussed in the "NOW to sometime later in the year" thread. You should post a copy there. I am in agreement with you. Cancel the season and start again next year, far too many things to overcome and still a lot of them unknown,.

Would have to be the first time I have agreed with Lowey in 20 years.

Makes you wonder how the VAFA run/operate. If people are scared the clubs will fold because players wont get paid then I say move them on. I come from a career in the ammos where no one gets paid but Ive watched several EFL games over the decades (former resident of Ringwood) .. lets set aside the top two divisions in the vafa who entice players with jobs or other benefits in a roundabout way.
I'd say 90% of that comp players play for the love of the game and to play with mates. If players are so quick to turn around and not play just because they're not getting paid then I find it really disappointing. A lot of players get on their high horse about getting paid to play local footy, but thats all it is -- local footy. Ideally I'd like to see all leagues go back to not paying players or making it official and players having to pay tax etc accordingly.

Just a thought, would be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.....

Makes you wonder how the VAFA run/operate. If people are scared the clubs will fold because players wont get paid then I say move them on. I come from a career in the ammos where no one gets paid but Ive watched several EFL games over the decades (former resident of Ringwood) .. lets set aside the top two divisions in the vafa who entice players with jobs or other benefits in a roundabout way.
I'd say 90% of that comp players play for the love of the game and to play with mates. If players are so quick to turn around and not play just because they're not getting paid then I find it really disappointing. A lot of players get on their high horse about getting paid to play local footy, but thats all it is -- local footy. Ideally I'd like to see all leagues go back to not paying players or making it official and players having to pay tax etc accordingly.

Yes you're right, but that's because those jobs are usually 6 figures. Play footy for $800-1000 a game for 6 months for 3-5 years or earn $100,000 a year for umpteen years? What would one choose? :think: Its almost like paying them isn't it.

Its been widely known for years that Swisse are a major silent backer of St Kevins for years & are able to entice players straight off AFL lists because of it. But you're right VAFA don't pay players :D

But you make an excellent point some players with choose working Saturdays over playing footy.

In my opinion very well put. The season is a waste of time in all states imo.

Even playing for nothing u would have to debate the cost:benefit of playing a half baked season for the cost imposition on the clubs. Bc it will still cost clubs every week to play even if everyone played for free.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back