A Section Premier Division 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huge if true.

Think this tends to confirm it. The arms race at the top end continues and looks again to be a race in four. Maybe OMs or OB can jump in but I fear for the rest. Glad we are in B grade.

Article is pay walled so apologies if you can't see it but headline is VAFA: David Armitage signs with Collegians

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Important to note that Collegians have lost 6-7 senior players as well....including their captain and best and fairest winner from last year....their depth compared to St Kevin's and Old Xavs in particular will be severely tested with injuries....they'll be a side full of top end talent at one end...and young blokes at the other end...
Aside from Hilton, could you name the other departures ML?

Aside from Hilton, could you name the other departures ML?
Word over here at The Pit is that Fahie and Bruhn have quit, and I also heard 10 mins ago Parsons has left for the SANFL. I don't know much about him, is he much of a loss?

Wow! The Wesleyan's are really stocking-up.

From Paul Amy:

"Been a big week for VAFA Premier club Collegians, locking in David Mirra and now David Armitage. Might be another former AFL player on the way too...
Collegians love promoting their recruits in the media, it hasn't won them flags recently though.

Question: When announcing these big signings, do you think the club should provide some context on how they were able to sign these players. I know for a fact Mirra had a pretty substantial offer from Blackburn that he turned down to join Collegians. I am not insinuating that anything untoward is going on, but if you look at the comments on Paul Amy's twitter feed, the perception in the local footy community is that of "VAFA pfft, here we go with again."

For instance (and I'm not sure this is the case here), "Collegians were able to provide a career pathway for Mirra for life after AFL football." Not only would if fend off these rumours and the integrity of the VAFA, but also a great advertising tool for the Collegians and the competition.

Thoughts?

Bizarre/shocking take IMO OP. Two one-goal grand final losses in the last 3 years, with Hunt, Burbury, Dixon, Waterman and Anthony Bruhn being crucial to their finals' runs. Not sure how it could be disheartening. Morgan and Mirra are huge additions either way. Recruiting has been pretty decent from the outside looking in. If it weren't for SKOBAlumni and UNIAFL being once in a generation sides they'd probably have a couple more flags. They need a dominant ruck and a fit W Johnson.

45 /

The Colls players, of which I am friends with, have always complained that the recruiting has been left to them. I'm not saying they were disappointed with WHO they recruited per se, just that it was often left to the players to get deals over the line.

Question: When announcing these big signings, do you think the club should provide some context on how they were able to sign these players. I know for a fact Mirra had a pretty substantial offer from Blackburn that he turned down to join Collegians. I am not insinuating that anything untoward is going on, but if you look at the comments on Paul Amy's twitter feed, the perception in the local footy community is that of "VAFA pfft, here we go with again."

For instance (and I'm not sure this is the case here), "Collegians were able to provide a career pathway for Mirra for life after AFL football." Not only would if fend off these rumours and the integrity of the VAFA, but also a great advertising tool for the Collegians and the competition.

Thoughts?
I'm not sure that it really matters tbh - players will head to a particular club for any number of reasons that best suit their individual circumstances & realistically that's entirely up to them.
Attacking (or even defending) said player/s based solely on perception is a waste of time IMHO.

The Colls players, of which I am friends with, have always complained that the recruiting has been left to them. I'm not saying they were disappointed with WHO they recruited per se, just that it was often left to the players to get deals over the line.

OP, from what I understand, there is a small hardcore group of members who act as a recruiting committee.Sure players contribute with there input.
There are always players coming down because "Freddy" who plays there says its a great place to play. Happens with ALL Clubs, nothing special with that.

As old mate Bedford keeps saying, itā€™s a joke . What do clubs in lower grades have to look forward to , go up and straight back , as canā€™t compete . Clubs like Xavafl pay the whole footy department big bucks .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back