A Section Premier Division 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been watching from afar.

They are not the only club with player retention issues.

My concern is the strength of the top 4-5 Prem A clubs. They are making it nearly impossible to compete. I know we approached most of the ex AFL players who don't have school ties. I believe we were competitive in what we could do, but we landed none. Good luck to the clubs who ended up with these players. (All Prem A clubs).

All of our school VFL listed players are told to play elsewhere.

Clearly we need to get to the higher grades, but catch 22.

The points system needs a major overhaul.

This is my solution to assist the lower grades is as follows:-

All top Grades of each competition are on 5 points lower than the the Grades below.
The Prem A premiership team has a further 3 point discount for next season. (A version of this already occurs in other leagues)
If an Old Boy plays AFL then wants to come back, unless he played for the club, he starts at 3 points not 1. Ie Tom Jok would be a 1 pointer, even though he didn't go to the school, he has previously played with St. Kevins.

This policy would need to be not only for the VAFA, but for all Victorian competitions, otherwise VAFA will potentially lag.

If nothing changes, only Caulfield Grammar and De La will have any chance of competing in Prem A(both in the short and long term) , whilst the rest will stay where they are.

Max "Something needs to change" Leader

My concern is the strength of the top 4-5 Prem A clubs. They are making it nearly impossible to compete. I know we approached most of the ex AFL players who don't have school ties. I believe we were competitive in what we could do, but we landed none. Good luck to the clubs who ended up with these players. (All Prem A clubs).

All top Grades of each competition are on 5 points lower than the the Grades below.
The Prem A premiership team has a further 3 point discount for next season. (A version of this already occurs in other leagues)
If an Old Boy plays AFL then wants to come back, unless he played for the club, he starts at 3 points not 1. Ie Tom Jok would be a 1 pointer, even though he didn't go to the school, he has previously played with St. Kevins.

This policy would need to be not only for the VAFA, but for all Victorian competitions, otherwise VAFA will potentially lag.

If nothing changes, only Caulfield Grammar and De La will have any chance of competing in Prem A(both in the short and long term) , whilst the rest will stay where they are.

Very smart

Genuinely humbled you think we can challenge Max. Notwithstanding we have a long and proud history, the reality is we are smaller and far less prestigious school than the ‘big dogs’ and routinely get some of our most talented sportsman lured to APS schools on scholarships.

As a club we work really hard on the U19s and our ratio of school leavers playing for us is better than almost everyone but that is no longer enough. If we want to challenge for an A grade flag we have to compete with SKOB, Xavs, Blues and Collegians for elite talent. Recent history suggests we can't do that. I’m actually hoping we can push to the limits of the points cap this year (whatever that is) because it will demonstrate that we have been able to recruit from outside the school and U19 network. If we don’t then we might as well just accept our place in the middle rungs of the competition.

Our history as a perennial top division club assists but in the long run having a long and proud history has not helped North Old Boys, Parade, MHSOB, Ormond etc.

Nice sentiments Max but it’s worth remembering that all clubs play under the same guidelines, you can’t penalise clubs for working their arses off. Uni Blues were 10 points off relegation in 2018 then got to work and turned it around the next year. SKOB were in B grade for 10 years in a row, Collegians in C grade a few years ago.
We are already in the crazy situation where AMATEUR footballers are subjected to the same set of rules semi professional players are subjected too.
My solution for you is just get better and make sure someone like Sam Grimley has an offer too good to refuse to return to his alma mater.

Carey will be in B next year and have two sides. And have 30-35 playing U19’s.
Seems like that post they did was a little OTT. Perhaps a shake up to some who weren’t committing? Not sure.
Tarrant resigned. Was definitely not sacked. I think this is a little over exaggerated, but as it seems to have come entirely from the club, quite a strange one. Any mail Carlton?

Nice sentiments Max but it’s worth remembering that all clubs play under the same guidelines, you can’t penalise clubs for working their arses off. Uni Blues were 10 points off relegation in 2018 then got to work and turned it around the next year. SKOB were in B grade for 10 years in a row, Collegians in C grade a few years ago.
We are already in the crazy situation where AMATEUR footballers are subjected to the same set of rules semi professional players are subjected too.
My solution for you is just get better and make sure someone like Sam Grimley has an offer too good to refuse to return to his alma mater.
That sounds word for word what Brian used to say when I brought up the points. The points are the key and must be reduced .

Carey will be in B next year and have two sides. And have 30-35 playing U19’s.
Seems like that post they did was a little OTT. Perhaps a shake up to some who weren’t committing? Not sure.
Tarrant resigned. Was definitely not sacked. I think this is a little over exaggerated, but as it seems to have come entirely from the club, quite a strange one. Any mail Carlton?

Hippster, you have it pretty much correct.
i prefer to sit and watch what others say give a tick to the fact and laugh at the fiction suffice to say.......
Numbers have greatly since Wednesday.
3rds will not happen this year
U/19's look good
Girls on fire.

Lastly, its getting very hard to operate and compete in a competition where some treat it as a business, not a hobby.
Everyone is doing what they do for their Clubs for the love of it then others raise the bar to a level most could only dream of jumping.
If your club doesn't have a large benefactor, multiple sponsors, donors, network etc you are just treading water to survive year by year.
The strong in A are only getting stronger, will be a 4 team comp in both A and B this year.

Last edited:
Hippster, you have it pretty much correct.
i prefer to sit and watch what others say give a tick to the fact and laugh at the fiction suffice to say.......
Numbers have greatly since Wednesday.
3rds will not happen this year
U/19's look good
Girls on fire.

Lastly, its getting very hard to operate and compete in a competition where some treat it as a business, not a hobby.
Everyone is doing what they do for their Clubs for the love of it then others raise the bar to a level most could only dream of jumping.
If your club doesn't have a large benefactor, multiple sponsors, donors etc you are just treading water to survive year by year.
The strong in A are only getting stronger, will be a 4 team comp in both A and B this year.
Carlton it seems that BF posters were just commenting on what we might have correctly regarded as fact, seeing as it come straight from an internal club communication. Genuinely pleased to see it had the desired effect, which was suggested as perhaps the intention of the post.

And for balance Carey went out very, very hard around 2010/2011 and were one of the clubs responsible for turning Premier football into an arms race. Not saying that was a good or bad strategy but difficult to bemoan the fact that other clubs adopted that model; and just did it better for longer.

Last edited:
Carlton it seems that BF posters were just commenting on what we might have correctly regarded as fact, seeing as it come straight from an internal club communication. Genuinely pleased to see it had the desired effect, which was suggested as perhaps the intention of the post.

And for balance Carey went out very, very hard around 2010/2011 and were one of the clubs responsible for turning Premier football into an arms race. Not saying that was a good or bad strategy but difficult to bemoan the fact that other clubs adopted that model; and just did it better for longer.

You have got to be kidding.

It may be all good and well with a few extra blokes chipping in to play at OC, but as we know come mid season the OS exodus can occur and clubs can struggle with getting sides up. OC have always struggled outside of the top 22 to be competitive, fingers crossed we don't have other clubs missing out because OC can't muster up the numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Max Leader Missed this the other day, Jok attended St Kevin’s College.

You have got to be kidding.
Not sure why you seem so offended Carlton. When Carey came up to Premier in 2011 they made no secret of the fact they would be aggressive with their recruiting. They had to be if they were going to compete. Actually made a pretty good fist of it early on as well, albeit that depth was a problem.

No doubt others have taken it to a new level but the turn of the decade no club went harder at recruiting outside talent than Carey.

As an old suburban vafa player it gladens my heart to see one of the old boy clubs up to their nuts in trouble . welcome to the real world struggle of the suburban clubs in the lower grades of the ammos trying to get players and sponcers when you play in front of two blind men and a dog

As an old suburban vafa player it gladens my heart to see one of the old boy clubs up to their nuts in trouble . welcome to the real world struggle of the suburban clubs in the lower grades of the ammos trying to get players and sponcers when you play in front of two blind men and a dog
Did it gladden your heart when St Francis Xavier and St Johns OC had drop back to clubbies or are they not “old boy” enough for you?

Personally hate to see any club struggle; no matter whether they are metro, country, school, Uni, ethnic or suburban based.

Did it gladden your heart when St Francis Xavier and St Johns OC had drop back to clubbies or are they not “old boy” enough for you?

Personally hate to see any club struggle; no matter whether they are metro, country, school, Uni, ethnic or suburban based.
Nope i was genuinely sorry to hear about those two clubs as i experienced the jocs hospitality quite a few times and enjoyed their warm fire on a cold sat night. But still glad to gear of the upper echelon old boy clubs struggling as i had been on the end of their snobbery and stuck up holy than thou attitudes

Nope i was genuinely sorry to hear about those two clubs as i experienced the jocs hospitality quite a few times and enjoyed their warm fire on a cold sat night. But still glad to gear of the upper echelon old boy clubs struggling as i had been on the end of their snobbery and stuck up holy than thou attitudes
Not sure that a club that has spent the majority of their history in the middle to lower grades and perhaps 4 or 5 years total in Premier should be classed as “upper echelon”. And they are hardly a club recognised for their snobbery. In fact for an old boys club they have always had a healthy number of non affilated players.

All clubs, no matter their background or origin are made up of good hard-working people volunteering to keep the club afloat. Personally find it distasteful that anyone enjoys seeing any club fall on hard times.

Not sure that a club that has spent the majority of their history in the middle to lower grades and perhaps 4 or 5 years total in Premier should be classed as “upper echelon”. And they are hardly a club recognised for their snobbery. In fact for an old boys club they have always had a healthy number of non affilated players.

All clubs, no matter their background or origin are made up of good hard-working people volunteering to keep the club afloat. Personally find it distasteful that anyone enjoys seeing any club fall on hard times.
Well said JJ, I don't like a few , but no one wants to see people who volunteer everything for no reward have their clubs go under (even s**t footy league )

Is it possible in the year 2020 to have a truely amateur competition? Just playing for the love of the game?
Yes its called the Thirds & Super rules, outside of that it is disingenuous to claim otherwise. Players earning $100k+ to work as a school janitor, kids tuition paid, TAB tickets, brown paper bags.. I was speaking to a coach of a suburban club, he was trying to lure a mate over from an a Premier Div club and offered him $600 a game.. The players response was to laugh and say I make that by halftime.

Yes its called the Thirds & Super rules, outside of that it is disingenuous to claim otherwise. Players earning $100k+ to work as a school janitor, kids tuition paid, TAB tickets, brown paper bags.. I was speaking to a coach of a suburban club, he was trying to lure a mate over from an a Premier Div club and offered him $600 a game.. The players response was to laugh and say I make that by halftime.

Name names......if your serious.

I am serious.. and not about to drop names on a forum.. The club involved wear purple and gold.

I know a bit about Colls and follow them. I doubt very much that your assertion is true. Might have jobs secured through the Club's help etc....but money? I doubt it. We are not that flush with $$$ ..Happy to know who your referring to. If not prepared to...well then you go down as a "rumor monger". Talk is cheap..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back