A Section Premier Division 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Way too early predictions for 2020
Premiers: SKOBAFL
Runners Up: COLLEGIANSAFL
Top 4: SKOBAFL, UNIAFL, COLLEGIANSAFL, OXAFL (above OM and Brighton on %, 4th spot wide open)
Relegated: OS, Hedgeburners
Woodrow: Tom Jok
Coleman: Tom Boyd

BF BnF: 45/
BF WOAT: Hair Hat

headline of the year:
SKOBAFL defeat OS by 200 in what is a preview of the future of the VAFA

see you soon
45/

What are the main occupation areas that VAFA clubs assist with or is it all areas ? Also what are the biggest clubs throughout all divisions/sections ?

What are the main occupation areas that VAFA clubs assist with or is it all areas ? Also what are the biggest clubs throughout all divisions/sections ?

The answer to your first question will depend on clubs and the networks they have.

The second question, in my mind, is Old Xavs and SKOBS are the biggest VAFA clubs. Generally the biggest clubs are in the top 2-3 grades.

After the Big 2 you probably have Collegians, Uni Blues, Uni Blacks, Old Scotch & OM's as the next biggest (in terms of resources and player numbers). I believe most of these top 7 have FT employees managing club operations.

The answer to your first question will depend on clubs and the networks they have.

The second question, in my mind, is Old Xavs and SKOBS are the biggest VAFA clubs. Generally the biggest clubs are in the top 2-3 grades.

After the Big 2 you probably have Collegians, Uni Blues, Uni Blacks, Old Scotch & OM's as the next biggest (in terms of resources and player numbers). I believe most of these top 7 have FT employees managing club operations.
Fitzroy or Old Geelong are probably the biggest outside Prem A.

Max "Happy New Year" Leader

Fitzroy or Old Geelong are probably the biggest outside Prem A.

Max "Happy New Year" Leader
Max DLS would be easily the biggest outside of Premier A. In 2020 will be fielding 1s, 2s, 3s, U23s, 3 x U19s, men’s supers, women’s open age and women’s masters. Spent about 45 of the last 50 years in A grade including the last 13 years straight. Would not back against them being back in Premier A in 2021 either.

Despite all that the networks vastly inferior to many other clubs. Need to work on that if they want to challenge the big dogs.

Max DLS would be easily the biggest outside of Premier A. In 2020 will be fielding 1s, 2s, 3s, U23s, 3 x U19s, men’s supers, women’s open age and women’s masters. Spent about 45 of the last 50 years in A grade including the last 13 years straight. Would not back against them being back in Premier A in 2021 either.

Despite all that the networks vastly inferior to many other clubs. Need to work on that if they want to challenge the big dogs.
My bad. How could i forget 2001 and 2005 :)

Yes DLS are a great and large club.

Max "forgetful in my old age" Leader

The only people Coll pay is the Coach and the guy who does the social media work if you can call that FT.

The only people Coll pay is the Coach and the guy who does the social media work if you can call that FT.

It's common knowledge OM's & OS have paid employees (other than coaching), anyone know whether the 2 Uni Sides do? Or De La?

My mob are all volunteers (except coaches)

My bad. How could i forget 2001 and 2005 :)

Yes DLS are a great and large club.

Max "forgetful in my old age" Leader
The yo yo years. From memory relegated 3 times and promoted 3 times across a 7 year period. Still get dizzy think about it.

Have never had a paid employee but understand we are employing someone part time for 2020 who will have a fairly broad job title. 10 teams across multiple venues now beyond the scope of an already overworked and ever diminishing volunteer group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet another player finding the address in leafy Glen Iris to his liking.

bivMPhs.jpg

The yo yo years. From memory relegated 3 times and promoted 3 times across a 7 year period. Still get dizzy think about it.

Have never had a paid employee but understand we are employing someone part time for 2020 who will have a fairly broad job title. 10 teams across multiple venues now beyond the scope of an already overworked and ever diminishing volunteer group.

Glad you mentioned the diminishing volunteer group. Massive generational problem these days. Very difficult to get anyone to put their hand up for a few weekends a year let alone the whole season. Same people doing multiple jobs each week.
Anyone else having a volunteer problem?

Glad you mentioned the diminishing volunteer group. Massive generational problem these days. Very difficult to get anyone to put their hand up for a few weekends a year let alone the whole season. Same people doing multiple jobs each week.

The simple answer is yes. That being said Caulfield has improved marginally in this space, but was coming off a low base.

It is easier to attract people to be involved with the Seniors & Reserves, and at my club young ex-players have been pretty good (guys who can’t play due to career ending injury but want to help their mates). Under 19s & Thirds is much tougher.

I do feel as though that Gen X hasn’t been the greatest volunteer generation & I‘m hopefull that the millennials are better (early signs for me are promising). But millennials won’t put up with crap club management so clubs need to be a place they feel valued. Easier said than done.

Our club has always had a solid core of volunteers but that core has not grown commensurate with the expansion of the club and all the additional requirements. A decade ago we might have had 1s, 2s, clubbies and 2 U19s. The number of teams have doubled. Running sides across 5 or 6 different venues with an increased administrative burden and expectations around injury management etc all adds to the level of difficulty.

One thing for sure when you are winning people seem more inclined to get on board. Who knows, after a few lean years in A grade we might see more get on board if we can string a few wins together in B grade

Last edited:
Clubs will continue to struggle with volunteers, especially in lower grades and with teams outside seniors and reserves in my view.

I have no issue with people being paid to perform tasks previously performed by volunteers as society has gone that way!

Clubs will continue to struggle with volunteers, especially in lower grades and with teams outside seniors and reserves in my view.

I have no issue with people being paid to perform tasks previously performed by volunteers as society has gone that way!
All true , but it seems only the big school powerhouses can afford to pay.

Another blow for Old Scotch with Lachlan Waddell (former Scotch College graduate) leaving Port Melbourne at 24 years of age due to increasing work commitments and looking to head to Uni Blacks.

It looks as though we will see a seriously weaker Old Scotch side this season without 4 of their best players from 2019 in Bull (retired), Downie (moved interstate), Mitchell (likely headed to Northcote Park with his father as senior coach)and Jamieson ( likely to be playing most of the season with Foostcray VFL). Any further news on comings and goings from Camberwell Road?

Another blow for Old Scotch with Lachlan Waddell (former Scotch College graduate) leaving Port Melbourne at 24 years of age due to increasing work commitments and looking to head to Uni Blacks.

It looks as though we will see a seriously weaker Old Scotch side this season without 4 of their best players from 2019 in Bull (retired), Downie (moved interstate), Mitchell (likely headed to Northcote Park with his father as senior coach)and Jamieson ( likely to be playing most of the season with Foostcray VFL). Any further news on comings and goings from Camberwell Road?
Why would he choose Blacks over his alumni Mike? Would expect Scotch would have networks the equal if not better than most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back