Premier Division 2021 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah respectfully disagree BM - absolutely positive you could not be earning $2k/game playing soccer in a no name subsidiary comp of the GV or Ballarat regions There is no way known there is money around for that code outside of possibly premier league. I arent necessarily talking EFL div 1 or GFL etc, I'm talking div 3 or 4 or worse. There are blokes, depending on the farm economy, cutting out a pretty good living from swanning in on a Saturday. I mean it is ridiculous but there are numerous blokes being flown in from Qld to play country footy in Vic every weekend. It basically is an economy that is not sustainable.

GMac - if you think for a second you are responsible for the points/salary cap system brought in then you are kidding yourself... :)
There is plenty of money in local level soccer. Maybe not 2k plus a game but still a lot more than you might think.

Brett Eddy gone to Caulfield Grammarians for the next 2 years. You would think Vermont wouldn't be very impressed with that.
Must be a leg up in the finance and investment areas.

Think a few top financiers and stockbrokers might be caulfield old boys Cliff. Either that or they have good brown paper bags down glenhuntly way! Handy to the track as well

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I stand corrected but I would not think anything like what you can get in the AFL code across Australia.
No doubt the top end payments at local afl clubs is out if control.

I predict that as local match payments are kept down in the coming years, league fees will steadily climb as AFL Vic and leagues look to syphon funds from clubs.

Excuse my ignorance,an EFNL club gets a player a job and do not pay him anything.How does that effect a clubs salary cap.

No one has answered my question.A club advertises for a football manager admin like a Lee Bidstrup at Vermont with lets say $70,000 income and lets say a Gary Ablett applies for lets say East Burwood and he wants to play there with no match payments of cause.With salary cap does his $70,000 as a employee of the club come into the East Burwood's salary cap. And while I am here should non playing coaches of EDFNL and all footy clubs income be included in the salary cap.Some of the amounts I hear of some of these coaches are getting is absurd.

Last edited:
No one answered as it pretty obvious would be my guess. Club (sponsor, etc) offers a job to a player, at market rate for the job & the player is qualified for the job its fine. No effect on the salary cap. People are entitled to earn a living (as long as its not playing Local footy 😀).

Christ G we are now down to $100k & you also want to include non playing coaches in this. We could then convert the league name from EFNL to USSR. Where does it end?

No one answered as it pretty obvious would be my guess. Club (sponsor, etc) offers a job to a player, at market rate for the job & the player is qualified for the job its fine. No effect on the salary cap. People are entitled to earn a living (as long as its not playing Local footy 😀).

Christ G we are now down to $100k & you also want to include non playing coaches in this. We could then convert the league name from EFNL to USSR. Where does it end?

keep going down and you’ll find out who’s really in it for their love of the game!

Lets go back to my 1st question,a football administrator/football manager $70,000 and the guy that gets that job is a high profile AFL footballer just about retired and wants to play for that club.Does his $70,000 come into the salary cap.

Lets go back to my 1st question,a football administrator/football manager $70,000 and the guy that gets that job is a high profile AFL footballer just about retired and wants to play for that club.Does his $70,000 come into the salary cap.

Of course. If the club pays somebody who’s playing, it goes in the salary cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that how it's done at Mitcham?😮

I will tell you what happens in this neck of the woods G and in fact is rolled out across Australia as all the state bodies get together annually to discuss these issues - no one works in a bubble anymore.
The job would be scrutinised by the EFL salary cap watch dog including the job description - the applicant would need to show aptitude for the job ie qualifications at least or previous experience, the job would be compared to the market average for that sort of gig and if there was any sort of discrepancy then there would be a please explain. If Gary Ablett rocked up and wanted to do it for $70k and showed some sort of capacity to do it and it was his FT job (a very unlikely scenario :) ) then he would be ticked off. Dont worry the days of brown paper bags are gone I reckon. There was a president in the Sth Aust div 1 league who copped a 4 yr ban recently for doctoring the books as did his treasurer. Its all about saving clubs from themselves.

Our guy is in his mid 50s but he has a lethal left foot. Can’t believe it’s taken this long for others to catch on.

Noosa pay approx $70k for their GM - one fo very few up this way that pay one. Maroochy approx $20k. Noosa's played and was a very good footballer and it would have been interesting to see how it was viewed by the powers in 2020 (first year of salary cap/points) but he took a gig at the Saints this year. The Maroochy GM is a lovely lady of about 50. Her son is the VC - not sure if she is lovely enough to trickle some of her wage down though... :)

Noosa pay approx $70k for their GM - one fo very few up this way that pay one. Maroochy approx $20k. Noosa's played and was a very good footballer and it would have been interesting to see how it was viewed by the powers in 2020 (first year of salary cap/points) but he took a gig at the Saints this year. The Maroochy GM is a lovely lady of about 50. Her son is the VC - not sure if she is lovely enough to trickle some of her wage down though... :)

Mind you Maroochydore has 3 senior teams (incl 3rds) plus colts plus 2 senior women teams. Its a big job.

Mind you Maroochydore has 3 senior teams (incl 3rds) plus colts plus 2 senior women teams. Its a big job.

So with those clubs up your way the job would be similar to what Lee Bidstrup does at Vermont.For example get sponsors,admin of a club etc.Vermont have done it so well over a long period of time and one of the reasons why they are regarded as one of the best suburban footy clubs in Victoria in these times

So with those clubs up your way the job would be similar to what Lee Bidstrup does at Vermont.For example get sponsors,admin of a club etc.Vermont have done it so well over a long period of time and one of the reasons why they are regarded as one of the best suburban footy clubs in Victoria in these times

Yes - sponsorship, match day organisation, Noosa has a guest speaker for every home game for their presidents lunch, dealing with HQ paperwork etc. If you can afford it then it is a good position to pay someone to do - especially if you can put some commission into their sponsorship scores. Need the right person though bc you could sit around doing bugger all as well looking busy.

Have heard about some clubs starting to pay administrators. Not full-time mind you.

Stands to reason I reckon - so much more is expected of club people than 30 years ago. Few of you guys would know better than me. Everything is bench marked against AFL standards which is ridiculous. The WH&S has gone mad, you need a person for about 10 different jobs on match day, and unfortunately some of this filters down to players who expect to get treated like they have just walked into Punt rd..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back