Premier Division 2021 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Find it strange that Vermont would be Attempting to entice someone from interstate especially with the cost associated.
There are many coaches from higher grades currently out of work with the cutbacks within the AFL & VFL systems. Would be a nice gig to get & add to the resume.

Keilors coach wouldn’t be cheap SMY. That said does a fantastic job.

Last edited:
Find it strange that Vermont would be Attempting to entice someone from interstate especially with the cost associated.
There are many coaches from higher grades currently out of work with the cutbacks within the AFL & VFL systems. Would be a nice gig to get & add to the resume.

Keilors coach wouldn’t be cheap SMY. That said does a fantastic job.

Have heard what MM is supposedly on and yes, very good wicket. Having said that, has a big role - does a lot of work with coaches at every level of a very big club (reserves, 19s, women’s, all boys junior age groups and most for girls) and also a fair bit of admin etc. At the club in some form basically 7 days a week. A lot more expected of him than just coaching one team.

Couple of bits of news

Jake Best leaving Vermont to coach Traralgon

AFL Vic has declared all top tier suburban divisions will have $100k salary caps for 2021 - 2023

how many backdoor deals clubs make?

Couple of bits of news

Jake Best leaving Vermont to coach Traralgon

AFL Vic has declared all top tier suburban divisions will have $100k salary caps for 2021 - 2023

When you seriously look at it, what other code in the world would have players getting paid anywhere near that money in a tier of sport so low relative to the the top comp? I cant think of any.
I remember a conversation my son had with a mate of his a few years ago and he had picked up $50 as an award for going ok on the weekend (Qld footy salaries :) ). My son's mate had just won the ironman at the State titles in surflifesaving - got sweet FA. he was incredulous that players at suburban level got cash awards let alone paid to play. Would train 3x harder than any local footballer. Its just a false economy that makes it 10x harder for clubs and volunteers to make ends meet.

When you seriously look at it, what other code in the world would have players getting paid anywhere near that money in a tier of sport so low relative to the the top comp? I cant think of any.
I remember a conversation my son had with a mate of his a few years ago and he had picked up $50 as an award for going ok on the weekend (Qld footy salaries :) ). My son's mate had just won the ironman at the State titles in surflifesaving - got sweet FA. he was incredulous that players at suburban level got cash awards let alone paid to play. Would train 3x harder than any local footballer. Its just a false economy that makes it 10x harder for clubs and volunteers to make ends meet.

Definitely soccer. Both locally and internationally.

I hear you but I don’t think it’s a totally false economy, there’s just a large range in terms of what some clubs can comfortably pay versus others. “Local footy” is a pretty broad umbrella, covering everything from genuine semi-professional clubs to those that are basically social. It’s just about ensuring an appropriate level for all I guess.

In Melbourne at least I think the presence of the VAFA offers a great balance. Though some would say I’m naive for suggesting it’s “amateur”!

Best decision AFLVIC have ever made,in regards to salary cap

It’s probably a touch low for a premier division imo, but you’d be better to err that way than the other.

It’s hard to know what a right number is. You’d probably have to ask every club what they’re able to pay comfortably and work it out from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can live off playing lower divisions of basketball in the States as well (7000USD a month for the 5 month season)

Last edited:
What clubs don’t rely on gate takings? I just hope that afl vic block all transfers so no rouge leagues go it alone and try and pinch your players....
It’s already happening just look who’s gone to st Kilda city these players are only going there for 1 reason
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Can I remind you Fatside we had a EFL Forum as you know up to about 5 years ago I was one of the biggest critics of clubs like Balwyn and the other big 4 paying the big bucks around 2008.Comments like it raises the standard of our competition I partially agree with but most clubs within the EFL could not and can still not do.Can I take credit for the sal cap and points system,lol.

Last edited:
Definitely soccer. Both locally and internationally.

I hear you but I don’t think it’s a totally false economy, there’s just a large range in terms of what some clubs can comfortably pay versus others. “Local footy” is a pretty broad umbrella, covering everything from genuine semi-professional clubs to those that are basically social. It’s just about ensuring an appropriate level for all I guess.

In Melbourne at least I think the presence of the VAFA offers a great balance. Though some would say I’m naive for suggesting it’s “amateur”!

Yeah respectfully disagree BM - absolutely positive you could not be earning $2k/game playing soccer in a no name subsidiary comp of the GV or Ballarat regions There is no way known there is money around for that code outside of possibly premier league. I arent necessarily talking EFL div 1 or GFL etc, I'm talking div 3 or 4 or worse. There are blokes, depending on the farm economy, cutting out a pretty good living from swanning in on a Saturday. I mean it is ridiculous but there are numerous blokes being flown in from Qld to play country footy in Vic every weekend. It basically is an economy that is not sustainable.

GMac - if you think for a second you are responsible for the points/salary cap system brought in then you are kidding yourself... :)

You can live off playing lower divisions of basketball in the States as well (7000USD a month for the 5 month season)

Yep - 15x bigger economy with 4x less players as well. But that's a good point. And even then its less than quite a few blokes are getting paid at local level

Last edited:
Yeah respectfully disagree BM - absolutely positive you could not be earning $2k/game playing soccer in a no name subsidiary comp of the GV or Ballarat regions There is no way known there is money around for that code outside of possibly premier league. I arent necessarily talking EFL div 1 or GFL etc, I'm talking div 3 or 4 or worse. There are blokes, depending on the farm economy, cutting out a pretty good living from swanning in on a Saturday. I mean it is ridiculous but there are numerous blokes being flown in from Qld to play country footy in Vic every weekend. It basically is an economy that is not sustainable.

GMac - if you think for a second you are responsible for the points/salary cap system brought in then you are kidding yourself... :)

Yeah fair enough. As I said there's a huge range from the top level leagues to the bottom and it's about making sure each level is appropriate I guess.

Yeah fair enough. As I said there's a huge range from the top level leagues to the bottom and it's about making sure each level is appropriate I guess.
Spot on - I agree - but egos and external pressures completely at odds with what the footy club can afford often make for poor decision making too.

Spot on - I agree - but egos and external pressures completely at odds with what the footy club can afford often make for poor decision making too.

think it’s improving. Some people are cynical but I think salary caps would be largely adhered to. As I understand it office holders are basically required to lie on the equivalent of stat decs to go outside salary caps if there’s an audit. That’s a big risk to your reputation

There was a lol after my comment but I was highly critical of player payments back in the mid 2,000,s with Balwyn etc and the big 4 that being East Ringwood,Vermont,East Burwood and Noble Park.And lets looks at East Ringwood now and East Burwood where that club is now and very lucky not to be in the bottom division right now.

Last edited:
Brett Eddy gone to Caulfield Grammarians for the next 2 years. You would think Vermont wouldn't be very impressed with that.
Must be a leg up in the finance and investment areas.

Brett Eddy gone to Caulfield Grammarians for the next 2 years. You would think Vermont wouldn't be very impressed with that.
Must be a leg up in the finance and investment areas.

Only a day after the $100k limit. VAFA will become the dominant league in metropolitan Melbourne.

Cheers AFL Victoria. Interesting times ahead, some should be careful for what they wish for.

Only a day after the $100k limit. VAFA will become the dominant league in metropolitan Melbourne.

Cheers AFL Victoria. Interesting times ahead, some should be careful for what they wish for.

So what is the EFL salary cap? Is there one?

Maybe it will get back to clubs just paying players who are worth it instead of everyone getting something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back