NSW Premier "iCare" Perrottet and the Libs' Poison Chalice

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

Yes, silly me, there’s no reason to think someone deeply embedded in an arch-traditional religious body that ruthlessly controls every aspect of its global operations and has done for millenia would not gaily set out on his own course whenever whimsy might take over.
Erm... he respects democracy

Blue Arrow

Club Legend
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
The Renegades, Vics
Oh god this religious fanatic is horrible, giving 500 million for women fleeing domestic abuse. :think:

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.

It's not baseless at all.

The guy has a track record of being anti-anything that an enlightened world accepts. He's anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-contraception, anti-climate science...in short, he's a far right conservative who uses the Bible as his knowledge base. He's a throwback to the Dark Ages and we should be skeptical of his motives.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Erm... he respects democracy
Wasn't saying he doesn't, but there's plenty of wriggle room in that claim mate. What does he mean by "respects"... what does he mean by "democracy"... what does he believe in regards to the separation of church and state, because our constitution isn't nearly as unambiguous on it as, say the French constitution is... does he believe he was elected as simply Dom Perrottet, or as Dom Perrottet, Roman Catholic; not forgetting that the voters didn't actually elect him premier...

Anyway, all of this is not to take away from the fact that I am very impressed that he has approved a big increase in the funding of shelters for women fleeing domestic violence. I am not at the coalface so I don't know if it's nearly enough or not, but on face value, a real plus in the fight against this scourge, I would have thought.

Wasn't saying he doesn't, but there's plenty of wriggle room in that claim mate. What does he mean by "respects"... what does he mean by "democracy"... what does he believe in regards to the separation of church and state, because our constitution isn't nearly as unambiguous on it as, say the French constitution is... does he believe he was elected as simply Dom Perrottet, or as Dom Perrottet, Roman Catholic; not forgetting that the voters didn't actually elect him premier...

Anyway, all of this is not to take away from the fact that I am very impressed that he has approved a big increase in the funding of shelters for women fleeing domestic violence. I am not at the coalface so I don't know if it's nearly enough or not, but on face value, a real plus in the fight against this scourge, I would have thought.
He's entitled to his opinion but it's only one opinion not the casting vote. He's not in a position to insist on his government members having the same opinions. Democracy says members can follow their conscience. Everybody's different, and hopefully always will be. Don't prejudge someone on their belief systems, when the majority of day-to-day decisions are not affected by them. Voters don't elect premiers, or prime ministers for that matter, but the electorate doesn't seem to realise that.

Yes, it's a great step that his government (not just him) has taken to help protect women in abusive situations. I just wish there was a way to stamp it out altogether.

Oct 9, 2006
Left of centre.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Super Tottenham....from the Lane.
He's entitled to his opinion but it's only one opinion not the casting vote. He's not in a position to insist on his government members having the same opinions. Democracy says members can follow their conscience. Everybody's different, and hopefully always will be. Don't prejudge someone on their belief systems, when the majority of day-to-day decisions are not affected by them. Voters don't elect premiers, or prime ministers for that matter, but the electorate doesn't seem to realise that.

Yes, it's a great step that his government (not just him) has taken to help protect women in abusive situations. I just wish there was a way to stamp it out altogether.

Are you drunk mate?

You don't think political leaders force their parliamentary members to vote along party lines? That is why they have whips...to ensure party compliance.

Conscience votes rarely happen. Perrottet has suggested he will allow them in certain circumstances but I will reserve my judgement until I see how it plays out.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Sorry to hear that mate.
Thanks mate I'm fine. I'm a lot closer to the end of my working life than the beginning (as a letter today in the SMH said, I've got a big future behind me) but I'm in an industry that will take a long time to really recover, and though I wasn't intending to retire anytime soon, I'm not sure I can wait that long. Specially because if another strain comes roaring in, my industry will be among the first to take the hit yet again.

But house is paid for, and the green investments I made years ago are finally kicking in and at least easing the loss of income, if not exactly replacing it.

Body and mind still functioning fine (some on here would hotly dispute the latter!) so it's been very hard not being able to do the work I love.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Your source is paid for and owned by evangelicals seeking to further “traditional American” values.

"self avowed Marxists" LOL it a favourite term of the right these days. meanwhile 'communist' China is whipping their capitalist asses

Rich

Club Legend
Feb 14, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Hawthorn
1634625759922.gif

Nov 17, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Time will tell how much of his Opus Die connections carry into his politics. A test will be whether he fights to stop his party from having a conscience vote on the forthcoming dying with dignity legislation. Dan Andrews is a Catholic who encouraged a conscience vote on the matter in the Vic Parliament.

Didn't take that long.

Didn't take them long.

Dude is happy to have let people cover up child abuse, and to withhold medical help to girls that might fall pregnant because of this abuse but wants someone with a couple of weeks to live to suffer an agonising death,and all in the name of some antediluvian belief structure. How does someone with a set of values this f***ed up end up in charge of anything?

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Dude is happy to have let people cover up child abuse, and to withhold medical help to girls that might fall pregnant because of this abuse but wants someone with a couple of weeks to live to suffer an agonising death,and all in the name of some antediluvian belief structure. How does someone with a set of values this f***ed up end up in charge of anything?
Ever heard of the Vatican?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back