NSW Premier "iCare" Perrottet and the Libs' Poison Chalice

Remove this Banner Ad

How convenient, here lies ........ the govt stuffed the covid response but because you were old or had a few ailments we won't count your death as covid related even if covid caused it because it makes the govt look bad

Unless Kerry explictly stated the second part, surely they mean some patients who are say in palliative care already who contract COVID would not count as COVID death

taking an example from work, we had someone who was covid positive who then died with internal bleeding. That should not be a COVID death.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Screenshot_20220112-075905_Chrome.jpg

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Is this how they record flu results? Isn't that where we should be going? Someone with death already standing over them shouldn't be counted.

IIRC there was a guy shot last year that was recorded as a covid death statistic, hopefully they break it into 2 categories (from and with Covid).

There will be papers in coming years looking at this information in coming years too doing the same thing.

Cause of death is cause of death.

If Grandma has three cancers, a heart condition and two amputated legs but gets hit by a car and dies. Guess what? Grandma died because of a road accident.

It will be interesting how the doctors and coroners respond to this. I’m not sure they were ever taught “they were going to die anyway, write down what ever makes us look best” 🤷‍♂️

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
We tried controlling it. It was a stop gap measure which created massive social and mental health problems. It's time to learn to live with it.
Correct, but it was a stop gap measure for the purposes of getting vaccine rates up. We are seeing that uncontrolled spread now is causing a strain, but not currently breaking the system and causing mass deaths. If we'd let it run wild before mass vaccines the system would have broken and deaths would have been through the roof.

We tried controlling it. It was a stop gap measure which created massive social and mental health problems. It's time to learn to live with it.
you think what is happening now isn't creating massive social, economic, health and mental health problems?

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Cause of death is cause of death.

If Grandma has three cancers, a heart condition and two amputated legs but gets hit by a car and dies. Guess what? Grandma died because of a road accident.

It will be interesting how the doctors and coroners respond to this. I’m not sure they were ever taught “they were going to die anyway, write down what ever makes us look best” 🤷‍♂️

I know a case where people drove their car into a big ag drain. Drowned trying to get out of the car and it was deemed a drowning rather than a road accident. Nothing nefarious, just people following the letter of the definitions a bit to literally.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Correct, but it was a stop gap measure for the purposes of getting vaccine rates up. We are seeing that uncontrolled spread now is causing a strain, but not currently breaking the system and causing mass deaths. If we'd let it run wild before mass vaccines the system would have broken and deaths would have been through the roof.
It's fantastic we have vaccines available to us and have had them rolled out so quickly. They really are holding up well against Omicron. That's why talk of controlling it is ridiculous. Mitigating and living with it is our most balanced option now.

you think what is happening now isn't creating massive social, economic, health and mental health problems?
Must admit, I haven't followed the news much recently. Is there evidence of spikes in social and mental health problems since we opened in November?

Interesting press conference this morning.

One testing agency also record if Delta or Omicron and in December (only 2 weeks ago) the majority of the strain was Delta.

Another cross for the 'let it rip' state.

It's fantastic we have vaccines available to us and have had them rolled out so quickly. They really are holding up well against Omicron. That's why talk of controlling it is ridiculous. Mitigating and living with it is our most balanced option now.

Must admit, I haven't followed the news much recently. Is there evidence of spikes in social and mental health problems since we opened in November?
You've not been paying attention to the news for two months?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not closely enough to know is there evidence of spikes in social and mental health problems since we opened in November?
amazing how you've been all over this during lockdown and quoting articles from overseas like crazy to prove we should be open now but apparently have not paid enough attention to what is happening here to have an opinion on if your preferred method is actually working.......

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
amazing how you've been all over this during lockdown and quoting articles from overseas like crazy to prove we should be open now but apparently have not paid enough attention to what is happening here to have an opinion on if your preferred method is actually working.......
Plenty of better things to do since lockdowns ended. Gotta be doing my bit to get society back on track. Anecdotally, people around me are much healthier socially and mentally, but not sure if there's any evidence to suggest the opposite?

Plenty of better things to do since lockdowns ended. Gotta be doing my bit to get society back on track. Anecdotally, people around me are much healthier socially and mentally, but not sure if there's any evidence to suggest the opposite?
except you've still been paying attention to the news that supports your view to go along with your anecdotes

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
except you've still been paying attention to the news that supports your view to go along with your anecdotes
No, I haven't. Which is why I'm not sure if there's evidence to suggest

what is happening now isn't creating massive social, economic, health and mental health problems?
I thought by the way you asked this question, i thought you might have some.

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Except for everyone with asthma, respiratory problems, obesity etc., who are scared as s**t about catching COVID that is now running rampant, even if they are fully vaxxed and boostered.

Saint

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 1, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
No, I haven't. Which is why I'm not sure if there's evidence to suggest

I thought by the way you asked this question, i thought you might have some.

All the dead people and people in ICU and people who can't get an ambulance at the moment suggest that it's not such a great time.

But, heck, you do brunch and God-forbid you should have to wear a mask to protect yourself and others.

It seems any common-sense changes are completely out-of-bounds, it's either let-it-rip or "dictatorial lockdowns".

fs88

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
The $1K fine for not uploading a RAT is up there with the dumbest decisions made in the past 3 years. How the hell is that supposed to get policed?

So if I test positive I'll have to tell my employer that I'm out for 7 days, do they then follow up that I've submitted my positive RAT or else they'll report me to the cops?

fs88

Club Legend
Nov 3, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
West Coast
All the dead people and people in ICU and people who can't get an ambulance at the moment suggest that it's not such a great time.

But, heck, you do brunch and God-forbid you should have to wear a mask to protect yourself and others.

It seems any common-sense changes are completely out-of-bounds, it's either let-it-rip or "dictatorial lockdowns".

It's all fun and games complaining that your human rights have been abused over petty things until you actually need an ambulance and cant get a hospital bed.

Maddo11

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 17, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
The $1K fine for not uploading a RAT is up there with the dumbest decisions made in the past 3 years. How the hell is that supposed to get policed?

So if I test positive I'll have to tell my employer that I'm out for 7 days, do they then follow up that I've submitted my positive RAT or else they'll report me to the cops?

I think it's more like if you end up needing hospital care but they don't have a record of a positive rat then you'll be up for the fine.

Of course you can just say "I didn't take a RAT because I couldn't get one" regardless of whether you actually took one or not

Remove this Banner Ad

Back