NSW Premier "iCare" Perrottet and the Libs' Poison Chalice

Remove this Banner Ad

Disgraceful but typical. The Liberals hate workers.

On this specific issue I’m not sure. Would we want to hold a workplace liable in the pre pandemic era for an employee catching a respiratory virus (eg flu) and gets complications needing hospital due to contact with a customer? And yet it probably should apply for healthcare/ aged care industries (as may reflect deficiencies in PPE). But I think the non health industries have been a bit paralysed by fear that if their workers catch covid from customers/ each other that they will be held liable (results in large scale furlough etc with associated costs)

On this specific issue I’m not sure. Would we want to hold a workplace liable in the pre pandemic era for an employee catching a respiratory virus (eg flu) and gets complications needing hospital due to contact with a customer? And yet it probably should apply for healthcare/ aged care industries (as may reflect deficiencies in PPE). But I think the non health industries have been a bit paralysed by fear that if their workers catch covid from customers/ each other that they will be held liable (results in large scale furlough etc with associated costs)

this isnt alone - other departments are using covid as a force majeure clause

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this isnt alone - other departments are using covid as a force majeure clause
can you expand on this? are you saying that industry is using it as a way of removing/ reducing duty of care for non covid/ nono infectious disease situation?

can you expand on this? are you saying that industry is using it as a way of removing/ reducing duty of care for non covid/ nono infectious disease situation?

im saying some are pushing the risk and cost of operating in a covid environment onto the private sector

im saying some are pushing the risk and cost of operating in a covid environment onto the private sector
Ah so some "departments" refers to public service then?
If it is no longer a workcover issue, surely this helps private business (because they don't have to fear workcover going after them for employees catching covid)

If it is no longer a workcover issue, surely this helps private business (because they don't have to fear workcover going after them for employees catching covid)

nope, because the issue covid shuts things down on a trigger at the moment for a number of depts - so the private sector is left paying the staff and other costs, while receiving zero revenue

nope, because the issue covid shuts things down on a trigger at the moment for a number of depts - so the private sector is left paying the staff and other costs, while receiving zero revenue
so by removing workcover responsibility, this could then help because under a removal of workcover liability covid then will only cause individual employees to stay at home while sick and no need to furlough work contacts

(I'm probably badly misunderstanding what you are saying)

WorkCover Insurance (Injury Compo) and WorkSafe OHS are two different things

so by removing workcover responsibility, this could then help because under a removal of workcover liability covid then will only cause individual employees to stay at home while sick and no need to furlough work contacts

(I'm probably badly misunderstanding what you are saying)

Different outcome, but same intent.

Removing WC protections means the worker has to pay all the costs of their treatment and recovery, and use their sick/annual leave.

Otherwise they would make a claim, and they would be compensated and allowed to take leave with full pay.

Its like opening up super - pushing the cost of covid away from the govt and onto the impacted

Different outcome, but same intent.

Removing WC protections means the worker has to pay all the costs of their treatment and recovery, and use their sick/annual leave.

Otherwise they would make a claim, and they would be compensated and allowed to take leave with full pay.

Its like opening up super - pushing the cost of covid away from the govt and onto the impacted
well I would think that getting sick from exposure while at work to a community contagious illness (so difficult to prove you got it at work) should be what sick/ annual leave is for. Perhaps it means casual employees need a sick leave entitlement given that COVID currently means they may be unable to work due to being asymptomatic positive and have the bill for this come back to government health departments?

well I would think that getting sick from exposure while at work to a community contagious illness (so difficult to prove you got it at work) should be what sick/ annual leave is for. Perhaps it means casual employees need a sick leave entitlement given that COVID currently means they may be unable to work due to being asymptomatic positive and have the bill for this come back to government health departments?

remember however this may be illness caused by your employer putting you at risk of infection

for example, if you are a casual cleaner at a covid facility, do you think its fair to lose a month of pay (for example) because you got infected while cleaning the rooms of infected people? remember casuals and contract workers dont get annual or sick leave

remember however this may be illness caused by your employer putting you at risk of infection

for example, if you are a casual cleaner at a covid facility, do you think its fair to lose a month of pay (for example) because you got infected while cleaning the rooms of infected people? remember casuals and contract workers dont get annual or sick leave
Yeah I did say it was perhaps different for health care and similar where the industry is more specific around covid; that being the case though I would attribute responsibility only if inadequate PPE used.

Did that poor bastard who got taken by a shark have underlying conditions? If only covid deaths got half this guy's coverage has.
waits for people to protest the beach closures

Remove this Banner Ad

Back