1st SEMIFINAL
ELSTERNWICK 11:40am SAT 3/9
vsvs
Old ScotchOld ScotchOld Scotch
St Bernards

Last edited:
How good if it happens .
Mr Ford,
You are a sad person, enjoy another year in C grade.
For the learned types on here, I can assure you all that Mr Mullet is not departing, much to your collective chagrin.

2022 beckons...and another tipping premiership for yours truly "Mr" 45, the preferred pronoun of this thread. Childishness aside, let's hope for a full uninterrupted season with many great battles. Should OXAFL get to hoist their 2021 premiership flag at their first home game? Mr Gold and Mr Ford's back and forth reminds me of when two kids say "i know you are but what am I?" Classic.

Onwards and upwards men.

Finally...the exodus from both OXAFL and SKOBAFL may be bigger than it seems.

From 45, on a slight angle.
Congrats on the hollow victory of the VAFA big footy minor premiership tipping award Mr 45! I would love to see OXAFL unfurl their premiership flag at their first home game in 2022, but they didn’t win one.

I’m looking forward to a brilliant season next year, the memories of the 2019 prelim final will burn for another 12 months at Toorak Park.
Hooroo from Mr Guru, see you all next year.

Mr Ford,
You are a sad person, enjoy another year in C grade.
For the learned types on here, I can assure you all that Mr Mullet is not departing, much to your collective chagrin.
At least Bedford is much loved and appreciated for what he contributes to his club, the mail from SKOB is that they would prefer that a certain Gold individual would depart the building.

I'd rather be at a local club that has a bit of heart and there are quite a few others that don't want or need to have 5 senior men 5 under 19's 3 3rds ,3 women's teams . It's selfish and is destroying the whole fabric of the Ammo's
How has the introduction of more teams destroyed the fabric of the Ammos? They obviously have the infestructure in place and the right people to run it....plus gives kids a game each week! I don't think any of the add on teams were flying, so sounds like a disgruntled former player to me!

Well I know that the Lions down at the Harry Trott are looking forward to making amends for a lacklustre 2021 in 2022 with Jared Rivers having a second summer to get the boys executing his game plan.

I'd rather be at a local club that has a bit of heart and there are quite a few others that don't want or need to have 5 senior men 5 under 19's 3 3rds ,3 women's teams . It's selfish and is destroying the whole fabric of the Ammo's

I respectfully disagree Bedford. I actually take my hat off to these clubs like SKOB, Xavs and Scotch who have multiple 3rds, under 23 and under 19s sides. They are providing young men and now young women the chance to play footy with their mates, most of them schoolmates. I think this is something that should be applauded. I know that we have been struggling in the last 5 years at Collegians to get the numbers we had 10-15 years ago at the club in terms of thirds and unders, as are many district / local clubs, but the success of other clubs should not be looked down upon.

What has having multiple Senior Men, Womens and Under teams have anything to do " with having a bit of heart"?
If you can field these teams, then good luck to you...not to be "sneered" at. Sounds more like logic with a big serve of jealousy applied.

What has having multiple Senior Men, Womens and Under teams have anything to do " with having a bit of heart"?
If you can field these teams, then good luck to you...not to be "sneered" at. Sounds more like logic with a big serve of jealousy applied.
Yep , probably jealous SK are not even a girls school. Have never believed a club should have more than 2 Under 19's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I respectfully disagree Bedford. I actually take my hat off to these clubs like SKOB, Xavs and Scotch who have multiple 3rds, under 23 and under 19s sides. They are providing young men and now young women the chance to play footy with their mates, most of them schoolmates. I think this is something that should be applauded. I know that we have been struggling in the last 5 years at Collegians to get the numbers we had 10-15 years ago at the club in terms of thirds and unders, as are many district / local clubs, but the success of other clubs should not be looked down upon.

I agree that ALL clubs that can develop those numbers and facilitate the needs required to run an organisation like that do need to be commended - absolutely.
That said, it would be folly to suggest that the increased numbers in teams that powerful clubs can have in the VAFA does not have a detrimental impact on the lower grades - it absolutely does.

Now that is NOT the responsibility of those clubs that work hard to develop a strong club, not at all. But it is something the VAFA HQ need to consider IF they still want all those teams and all those lower divisions to remain in the VAFA. I don't believe, long term, they can have both.

Chump.

Last edited:
I agree that ALL clubs that can develop those numbers and facilitate the needs required to run an organisation like they do are to be commended - absolutely.
That said, it would be folly to suggest that the increased numbers in teams that powerful clubs can have in the VAFA does not have a detrimental impact on the lower grades - it absolutely does.

Now that is NOT the responsibility of those clubs that work hard to develop a strong club, not at all. But is is something the VAFA HQ need to consider IF they still want all those teams and all those lower divisions to remain in the VAFA. I don't believe, long term, they can have both.

Chump.
Thanks old mate , well said

I agree that ALL clubs that can develop those numbers and facilitate the needs required to run an organisation like that do need to be commended - absolutely.

Now that is NOT the responsibility of those clubs that work hard to develop a strong club, not at all. But it is something the VAFA HQ need to consider IF they still want all those teams and all those lower divisions to remain in the VAFA. I don't believe, long term, they can have both.

Chump.
I think two U19 teams is enough. The question is do the excess players end up in other VAFA clubs or end up in Southern Footy League. This is why HQ let 3 and 4 teams per club.

I think two U19 teams is enough. The question is do the excess players end up in other VAFA clubs or end up in Southern Footy League. This is why HQ let 3 and 4 teams per club.

Valid point and one the VAFA could rightfully use - that no GTD that those excess players would end up at VAFA clubs.

But from personal experience we have noticed a significant shift in the 'trickle down' in the past 10+ years. As such when we combine that with being based in the middle of NFNL teams then it means a district club like ours may have to look at things differently moving forward from what was relevant 10+ years ago to keep/gain players......survive.

Chump

Last edited:

Chump.

Yes. Would love to see more suburban clubs in the higher grades but getting rid of the 3rd 19s team would do nothing in my opinion. These kids (at skob anyway) haven't played for local clubs since primary school and have very loose affiliation....not fantastic footballers and don't take it too seriously...just great to catch up with mates and play the greatest game there is. I fancy the large majority just wont play if they cant play with school mates. Certainly not a pipeline to senior footy.

Yes. Would love to see more suburban clubs in the higher grades but getting rid of the 3rd 19s team would do nothing in my opinion. These kids (at skob anyway) haven't played for local clubs since primary school and have very loose affiliation....not fantastic footballers and don't take it too seriously...just great to catch up with mates and play the greatest game there is. I fancy the large majority just wont play if they cant play with school mates. Certainly not a pipeline to senior footy.

I agree - it would not be any guarantee that they would play anywhere other than the school they attend. This can not be certain and I think some could potentially give the game away. That is not great for anyone or the sport. We don't want that at all.

That said, at under 19 level they do have a connection already - via the Junior Club. Basically, they play up until 17's and have that friendship connection via the junior club not just a school connection. in our case it is a very diverse group who go to Marcellin, Old Ivanhoe, Carey, Trinity, Xavs, St Kevins and even Kew High and Balwyn high have been schools players have come from in the past that had played at our junior club. But with the introduction of 3rd and 4th under 19's teams and under 23's those options have become less available to a club like ours.

Again I want to state this is NOT the fault of any of these well run clubs that have done a huge amount of work to get themselves in this position. Nor am I complaining that we find ourselves in this position at our club, that is for us to address and develop a plan to be better. But, what I am saying is that things have changed due to the changes in the number of teams available to the powerful clubs and that does have an impact in lower divisions. As such, clubs then need to assess if they can continue go it alone, merge or move competitions where they can pay players and compete/attract players that way.

It's a complex problem for the VAFA management IF this is an area they wish to address, but with the introduction of supers/masters I'd suggest they are heading in another direction and this will see some clubs continue to grow their number of teams rather than place a cap on that moving forward.

Chump.

Last edited:

Chump.
I think we need to be aware of the pressure on grounds and facilities that increased teams brings. I am a bit biased but how big is too big? Pre the thirds comp many players at that level filtered down to the clubs in the lower grades and improved those standards. Maybe 'partnerships' with lower grade clubs might be a better all round solution that clubs having 5 or 6 mens teams? Just a thought.

Couldn't agree more Champ/Chump.
As these clubs continue to get bigger with players of no value to them running around in their U23's 2nds or U19's 3rds, the district clubs get weaker and will slowly die off.

Where would you rather them play? 95% of them have been students at the schools

I would say they should play where they want too and if that's with their school mates in the 3rd under 19's team or a senior Thirds team then that's great and I hope they enjoy it - absolutely.

All I am highlighting is that IF we have that many teams at individual clubs there IS an impact on lower divisions that was not around 10+ years ago that the VAFA head office may need to consider. Maybe? :)

Chump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back