A Section Premier Section 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems that Old Brighton have to go back to the drawing board to find a senior coach once again and it's not ideal having to start the process when it's almost October.

I'm not too sure whether Hutchy would do it again, but from what I've heard through some connections down in the bayside area, those connected with Old Brighton are absolutely ropable at Old Xavs, which is fully understandable.

Also, just on Old Xavs, it seems rather strange that when they sacked Satterley and had Donati as his right hand man (assistant) that they didn't just appoint Donati as senior coach back then. Either way, pencil in Old Brighton v Old Xaverians next year to be a particularly fiery game!
They had Byrne's there who, from form over the past few years, was the right choice. Obviously this year he found out that without cattle, he couldn't get them up and running!? Word is he had no idea what to do with the kids and they didn't understand his game style 🤔.

Donati is the best coach around imo, and that's what old xavs do. Figure out who you want and go get them!!

Can't blame them for it!

They had Byrne's there who, from form over the past few years, was the right choice. Obviously this year he found out that without cattle, he couldn't get them up and running!? Word is he had no idea what to do with the kids and they didn't understand his game style 🤔.

Donati is the best coach around imo, and that's what old xavs do. Figure out who you want and go get them!!

Can't blame them for it!
Maybe Donati was sick of having half his team missing each year. Maybe he wanted committed players

Can't blame them for it!
The best coach currently is Jarred Rivers, although with him allegedly stepping down Collegians will be on the hunt for a new coach as well.

Can't blame them for it!
I’ve heard Byrne is a terrific motivator, more suited to an assistant role at this level, will be interesting to see if he lands somewhere else, like Old Brighton 😂

It seems that Old Brighton have to go back to the drawing board to find a senior coach once again and it's not ideal having to start the process when it's almost October.

I'm not too sure whether Hutchy would do it again, but from what I've heard through some connections down in the bayside area, those connected with Old Brighton are absolutely ropable at Old Xavs, which is fully understandable.

Also, just on Old Xavs, it seems rather strange that when they sacked Satterley and had Donati as his right hand man (assistant) that they didn't just appoint Donati as senior coach back then. Either way, pencil in Old Brighton v Old Xaverians next year to be a particularly fiery game!
To be fair, the reported deal for Donuts and his family is one that could not be ignored, no one in their right mind wouldn’t take the job.

The best coach currently is Jarred Rivers, although with him allegedly stepping down Collegians will be on the hunt for a new coach as well.
Where did you hear this? News to me

To be fair, the reported deal for Donuts and his family is one that could not be ignored, no one in their right mind wouldn’t take the job.
I'm sure it was a godfather type deal that the red and black mafia put together (it's a joke by the way).

I’ve heard Byrne is a terrific motivator, more suited to an assistant role at this level, will be interesting to see if he lands somewhere else,
Where did you hear this? News to me

I'm sure it was a godfather type deal that the red and black mafia put together (it's a joke by the way).
Why is it a joke? It's a business nowadays. OB should have done a better job and to not understand the situation (OX having a coach vacancy) was bad management imo

Congrats to collegians on their win. Seemed to be best side wire to wire this year.
Pleased for mike, Penski and FF who always come across as reasonable fellas and have somewhat opened my eyes as to the operation of collegians as a club. Well done lads and enjoy!

What was the story with Jok? Big loss - doubt he would have covered the difference however

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Thanks Hans, Mike is right re: Jok, they also lost a key forward prior to the Prelim (hammy) cant recall his name, who also couldnt come up. Appreciate your thoughts....

My last QUARTER game-day scenes from the Old Xaverians V Old Scotch RESERVES Grand Final on 24 September.

There is an article today suggesting Sam Sofronidis' performances for Collegians this year have caught the eyes of plenty of VFL clubs, as well as some AFL clubs too. That's not a shock, he's a star and he reads the play incredibly well. Deserves to have a good crack at a higher level if it is afforded to him, he's one hell of a player. I'd expect he will win our best and fairest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is an article today suggesting Sam Sofronidis' performances for Collegians this year have caught the eyes of plenty of VFL clubs, as well as some AFL clubs too. That's not a shock, he's a star and he reads the play incredibly well. Deserves to have a good crack at a higher level if it is afforded to him, he's one hell of a player. I'd expect he will win our best and fairest.
Amazing. I heard that he had to be talked into playing this year as he was going to hang up the boots. Any truth Mike?

Amazing. I heard that he had to be talked into playing this year as he was going to hang up the boots. Any truth Mike?
He wasn't going to retire, he's only 23 after all! He was merely going to travel around June, July and August, but he was missing footy once the season started, so he decided he wanted to come back and play. He was one of our best in his first game back and didn't look back from there. It was like he hadn't missed a beat at all, it was rather extraordinary.

He wasn't going to retire, he's only 23 after all! He was merely going to travel around June, July and August, but he was missing footy once the season started, so he decided he wanted to come back and play. He was one of our best in his first game back and didn't look back from there. It was like he hadn't missed a beat at all, it was rather extraordinary.
Extraordinary is an understatement, he should definitely ply his trade at another level, who knows where it can take him, ala Jok and hopefully Sullivan. Sam is a genuine star of the VAFA, ironically he may not see that mid year holiday for quite a few years!

Good on him Mike , very happy for your lot

Extraordinary is an understatement, he should definitely ply his trade at another level, who knows where it can take him, ala Jok and hopefully Sullivan. Sam is a genuine star of the VAFA, ironically he may not see that mid year holiday for quite a few years!
I dont think he would be lured to the VFL....It would be all or nothing (AFL). He loves the Lions and the VFL wouldn't cut it for him.
VAFA Premier is just that. The VFL is a combination of "wannabies", a lot playing on false hope...

I dont think he would be lured to the VFL....It would be all or nothing (AFL). He loves the Lions and the VFL wouldn't cut it for him.
VAFA Premier is just that. The VFL is a combination of "wannabies", a lot playing on false hope...
VFL is a joke

I disagree, more than ever are getting picked up onto AFL lists from the VFL. Not having a dig against collegians, but i think the majority of VFL teams beat them...

This is just from Box Hill:
Lachlan Bramble (Hawthorn)
2021 Pre-Season Supplementary Selection
Jai Newcombe (Hawthorn)
2021 Mid-Season Rookie Draft
James Blanck (Hawthorn)
2022 Mid-Season Rookie Draft
Fergus Greene (Hawthorn)
2022 Delisted Free Agent
Ryan Maric (West Coast)
2023 Mid-Season Rookie Draft
Clay Tucker (Hawthorn)
Ethan Stanley (Fremantle)
2023 Mid -Season Rookie Draft.

Add guys like Brodie Mihocek, Sam Durham, Ryan gardner getting solid games now

Even look back to tom stewart a while back, playing for geelong in the VFL and now a multiple all australian/BNF winner

I disagree, more than ever are getting picked up onto AFL lists from the VFL. Not having a dig against collegians, but i think the majority of VFL teams beat them...

This is just from Box Hill:
Lachlan Bramble (Hawthorn)
2021 Pre-Season Supplementary Selection
Jai Newcombe (Hawthorn)
2021 Mid-Season Rookie Draft
James Blanck (Hawthorn)
2022 Mid-Season Rookie Draft
Fergus Greene (Hawthorn)
2022 Delisted Free Agent
Ryan Maric (West Coast)
Clay Tucker (Hawthorn)
Ethan Stanley (Fremantle)
2023 Mid -Season Rookie Draft.

Add guys like Brodie Mihocek, Sam Durham, Ryan gardner getting solid games now

Even look back to tom stewart a while back, playing for geelong in the VFL and now a multiple all australian/BNF winner
the majority of VFL teams beat them...Any VFL would beat a VAFA team by 20 goals....the standards are way different (of course....professional players in large part.....Collegians were awesome this year but Mirra is a retired VFL player and perhaps the best player in the VAFA. Dont know the young man but looks a great player. Could no doubt play a VFL level if he wanted to.

the majority of VFL teams beat them...Any VFL would beat a VAFA team by 20 goals....the standards are way different (of course....professional players in large part.....Collegians were awesome this year but Mirra is a retired VFL player and perhaps the best player in the VAFA. Dont know the young man but looks a great player. Could no doubt play a VFL level if he wanted to.
I would be rapt for Sofronidis to get a crack. But highly doubt he'd go straight past the VFL to get it

I would be rapt for Sofronidis to get a crack. But highly doubt he'd go straight past the VFL to get it
Local, I agree with everything you say. My thoughts are with Sof, is that he wouldnt go down the VFL trail to get into AFL.Like Lachy Ferg tried with Collingwood,he gave it a good go, good but not good enough. If he gets rookied? That would be a different scenario..

Local, I agree with everything you say. My thoughts are with Sof, is that he wouldnt go down the VFL trail to get into AFL.Like Lachy Ferg tried with Collingwood,he gave it a good go, good but not good enough. If he gets rookied? That would be a different scenario..
Thats true, Rookie would at least get him in the system at first and get some exposure

Remove this Banner Ad

A Section Premier Section 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back