A Section Premier Section 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

the majority of VFL teams beat them...Any VFL would beat a VAFA team by 20 goals....the standards are way different (of course....professional players in large part.....Collegians were awesome this year but Mirra is a retired VFL player and perhaps the best player in the VAFA. Dont know the young man but looks a great player. Could no doubt play a VFL level if he wanted to.
FWIW there is no way Preston Coburg and Frankston would beat Vafa premier teams by 20 goals. I would suggest the top 4 in the Vafa would knock them off

FWIW there is no way Preston Coburg and Frankston would beat Vafa premier teams by 20 goals. I would suggest the top 4 in the Vafa would knock them off
We'll have to disagree FWIW....Frankston looked terrible in the game I saw them against Williamstown...but they idea they wouldnt easily account for Scotch is not how I see it.

We'll have to disagree FWIW....Frankston looked terrible in the game I saw them against Williamstown...but they idea they wouldnt easily account for Scotch is not how I see it.

Its a curly one....There are the young VAFA hopefuls who end up on VFL lists intermitantly through a season.
Then you have a D Mirra who was an entrenched VFL player for ever. And then there are those in between, its real bag of mixed talent. Who would win a Colls v Preston game? (or anyone else). Im thinking Preston...

Its a curly one....There are the young VAFA hopefuls who end up on VFL lists intermitantly through a season.
Then you have a D Mirra who was an entrenched VFL player for ever. And then there are those in between, its real bag of mixed talent. Who would win a Colls v Preston game? (or anyone else). Im thinking Preston...
I’m with Collegians and the other top four VAFa clubs here. SKOB has had several players over the years who have played a fair bit of VFL who were regular seconds players when they weren’t getting a game at VFL level.

I also recall SKOB destroying a fully loaded Sandringham team, minus the obvious AFL top ups from the Saints, in a practice match last year. This years Collegians team would easily account for the lower level VFL teams, in fact they would smash them.

I’m with Collegians and the other top four VAFa clubs here. SKOB has had several players over the years who have played a fair bit of VFL who were regular seconds players when they weren’t getting a game at VFL level.

I also recall SKOB destroying a fully loaded Sandringham team, minus the obvious AFL top ups from the Saints, in a practice match last year. This years Collegians team would easily account for the lower level VFL teams, in fact they would smash them.
Interesting observation Plats. Changing tack, how do you think the 2 teams coming up will acquit themselves in "24"?

Interesting observation Plats. Changing tack, how do you think the 2 teams coming up will acquit themselves in "24"?
FF, I think Bernards will be an interesting one, they are typically competitive, but weren't in 2022 when they won only two games with a hapless percentage of around 60, yet somehow finished premiers in B grade with a percentage of 212 with virtually the exact same squad of players. To be fair, the difference in standard between Premier and Premier B is seismic to say the least, but I think Bernards will at least be competitive, especially at home.

As much as I admire Fitzroy and what they have done in getting to premier section, I genuinely don't know how they will be able to compete in A grade. They are already looking for players in order to bolster their side and probably realise they need at least 4-5 VFL level players to top up their side from this year in order to be competitive.

However, one of the great changes in VAFA footy is the season to season change in form / fortunes. Look at Old Xavs in 2021 compared to Old Scotch and Collegians, it was a complete 180 by the end of 2023 for all those sides from where they all were in 2021, including Collegians, so things can change, and that's what makes footy great.

Interesting question ‘Mr’ FF, my thoughts are that the standard of Premier in the last 5-7 years has gone through the roof, culminating with a super team winning the flag this year.

There are a lot of clubs now trying to reach that standard, so anything can happen year to year. My gut feel is that this years grand finalists will keep getting better, a reasonably young SKOB had a bad day against a faultless Lions, whilst Blues should have gone straight through to the GF from the Prelim.

However, Ayce is a gargantuan loss, whilst Soup isn’t far behind him. They’re an aging list but will be thereabouts with more ex AfL recruits. whilst OX and donuts are scheming and already have gotten Howe away from North Melbourne. They will be stronger.

Scotch are a top five force, who will hand teams hidings on their day, whilst the rest are pretty even.

Gut feel is Fitzroy will be in deep strife with their current list, whilst St Bernard’s will always be competitive and be in the race to stay up, but as the Golden Greek says above, they would want to add considerably to win 6 games.

Interesting question ‘Mr’ FF, my thoughts are that the standard of Premier in the last 5-7 years has gone through the roof, culminating with a super team winning the flag this year.

There are a lot of clubs now trying to reach that standard, so anything can happen year to year. My gut feel is that this years grand finalists will keep getting better, a reasonably young SKOB had a bad day against a faultless Lions, whilst Blues should have gone straight through to the GF from the Prelim.

However, Ayce is a gargantuan loss, whilst Soup isn’t far behind him. They’re an aging list but will be thereabouts with more ex AfL recruits. whilst OX and donuts are scheming and already have gotten Howe away from North Melbourne. They will be stronger.

Scotch are a top five force, who will hand teams hidings on their day, whilst the rest are pretty even.

Gut feel is Fitzroy will be in deep strife with their current list, whilst St Bernard’s will always be competitive and be in the race to stay up, but as the Golden Greek says above, they would want to add considerably to win 6 games.

Mr Plats, you have shown my Club great respect and been very generous in your praise. The difference between top and bottom teams will be bigger than ever (in particulr Fitz). Colls and Skobs,were the two top teams of 23. Colls played Skobs 3 times this year with a total winning margin of nearly 30 goals...Sure everyone loses players and picks some up during the season and after. Season 24 is going to be a big test....Me thinks Skobs, OS, Coll and Blues (not in order) for the 4 next year.. There, I have said it...

Mr Plats, you have shown my Club great respect and been very generous in your praise. The difference between top and bottom teams will be bigger than ever (in particulr Fitz). Colls and Skobs,were the two top teams of 23. Colls played Skobs 3 times this year with a total winning margin of nearly 30 goals...Sure everyone loses players and picks some up during the season and after. Season 24 is going to be a big test....Me thinks Skobs, OS, Coll and Blues (not in order) for the 4 next year.. There, I have said it...
I think Old Xavs will come back with a bang now that Donati is coaching there, there is a lot of love for him coming back to coach them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collegians were AWESOME this year, the best I have seen since Mitch Brown was running around at my club with Salopek, Sullivan, a young Ned Reeves, Jok before he was drafted, Gilham and co as his sidekicks.

Inevitably there will be change to player lists, some stars will leave, but they’ll be replaced by new stars, and we will all keep talking about it on this website!

Collegians were AWESOME this year, the best I have seen since Mitch Brown was running around at my club with Salopek, Sullivan, a young Ned Reeves, Jok before he was drafted, Gilham and co as his sidekicks.

Inevitably there will be change to player lists, some stars will leave, but they’ll be replaced by new stars, and we will all keep talking about it on this website!

Touche!!

Pat is a ripper, principled bloke and a very good Coach. Dont mean to start a fight but Xavs recent history with Coaches
doesn't read well, starting with Pat.
It wasn't just Pat Hawkins. Collegians have had the same number of coaches since 1979 as Old Xavs have had since 2010. I think that will change with Donati, Xavs always go better when coached by one of their own, like Pat Hawkins and Ted Woodruff when they won the flag back in 2016.

FWIW Caulfield won one game with a % of 42 🧐

A Section Premier Section 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back