A Section Premier Section 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Any interesting recruiting news? Normally this time of year there are whispers aplenty on the peninsula.

All I am hearing is that $$$ talks as VAFA clubs continue to leak players (some clubs much more than others) of all levels to suburban comps.

This trend will reverse at some point....but this seems a few years off yet
As long as cost of living pressures remain, the VAFA will struggle to retain the movement to paying comps. You'd think however that the money in some of these comps may also pull back a little for the same reason (haven't seen it yet though).

Any interesting recruiting news? Normally this time of year there are whispers aplenty on the peninsula.
Also interesting on how many players are leaving the comp to the $$$ leagues.

The NFL clubs are big on promoting their new recruits. They tend to cannibalise each other. Not many VAFA players of note have left to the NFL.

As long as cost of living pressures remain, the VAFA will struggle to retain the movement to paying comps. You'd think however that the money in some of these comps may also pull back a little for the same reason (haven't seen it yet though).

We have a player who had the year off (not a GF player) and decided to come back. Problem with that though, he went to a Pennin Club for $$$$$......Happens to all Clubs at all levels.....,a fact of life.

We have a player who had the year off (not a GF player) and decided to come back. Problem with that though, he went to a Pennin Club for $$$$$......Happens to all Clubs at all levels.....,a fact of life.
Yes, that same club has apparently been throwing offers to players at a fair few VAFA clubs as well, not ideal.

Really boring on this thread considering the Portsea crew should be back from holidays so thought I'd make some statements to get things rolling:
Hearing Old Xavs reloading well under Donati so predicting a top four finish
Expecting Old Brighton to improve if limited unavailability thru O/S travel.
Collegians to drop a bit without Ferguson, Sofronidis and Mirra.
Bernards to make up the numbers and join Fitzroy back in B in 2025.
Uni Blues to make a surge and their neighbour Blacks to be middle of the road.
SKOB to face some challenges but be their about as usual.
Scotch to fall off the perch.
Old Melbournians list promises so much but rarely delivers and will play out the same for them this season.

Really boring on this thread considering the Portsea crew should be back from holidays so thought I'd make some statements to get things rolling:
Old Melbournians list promises so much but rarely delivers and will play out the same for them this season.
Bernards won't be making up the numbers. A much improved and better side they will be especially with a different coach the last time they were in premier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re my mob, Sure Mirra will be a loss. He was being managed coming to the close of season (play one miss one)with injury but we were still winning. I think all teams will be losing at least one top talent, so that evens things a little. Fergy, great bloke and player but didnt play or give much during the season and we still got to the GF. His game in the GF, was an absolute "blinder"..a Haley's Comet event for sure. Sof, we dont know about yet , touch and go with Collingwood

Re my mob, Sure Mirra will be a loss. He was being managed coming to the close of season (play one miss one)with injury but we were still winning. I think all teams will be losing at least one top talent, so that evens things a little. Fergy, great bloke and player but didnt play or give much during the season and we still got to the GF. His game in the GF, was an absolute "blinder"..a Haley's Comet event for sure. Sof, we dont know about yet , touch and go with Collingwood
Surely Sofronidis ends up on a VFL list if he doesn't get the SSP gig at the pies whether it be there, or another club.

Pies won't be filling all three spots. 1, maybe 2.

Surely Sofronidis ends up on a VFL list if he doesn't get the SSP gig at the pies whether it be there, or another club.

Remember, he only came back to play by round 6. Doesnt sound like a guy busting his gut to play AFL. I think it may be all or nothing for him. No AFL? then why would he bother running around in the VFL. Just a theory...

Heard they are looking at filling 2 spots, leaving one for mid season draft, and another spot if they put mcstay on long term injury list.

Gonna be tough for sof to beat out Josh Eyre who has been on a afl list before. Would love if he got a crack though.

Heard they are looking at filling 2 spots, leaving one for mid season draft, and another spot if they put mcstay on long term injury list.

Gonna be tough for sof to beat out Josh Eyre who has been on a afl list before. Would love if he got a crack though.
Eyre from where . I hear Sof is a good chance

Sof will get listed at Collingwood is what I’m hearing, which will be sensational.

SKOB will win the flag if Sullivan doesn’t get a gig at the Pies.

Sof looks more like a local player. Apart from being a good runner, he just struggles to get involved in the 6 weeks i've seen him train. Just doesnt do anything that stands out. Cant get the ball. Given the hype he had, probably the most disappointing.
I have heard we will offer him a VFL list spot. I reckon he needs to play a year in the vfl to see if he can perform at that level.

Reckon the list spots will go to eyre and one of the mids, bytel or sullivan.

Last edited:
Sof looks more like a local player. Apart from being a good runner, he just struggles to get involved in the 6 weeks i've seen him train. Just doesnt do anything that stands out. Cant get the ball. Given the hype he had, probably the most disappointing.
I have heard we will offer him a VFL list spot. I reckon he needs to play a year in the vfl to see if he can perform at that level.

Reckon the list spots will go to eyre and one of the mids, bytel or sullivan.
Eyre should get a spot, they need a key position player.
Bytel too
They'll definitley fill one, maybe two.

Sullivan I can't see getting a spot, he needs to play another position besides inside mid. Sofronidis you'd think will sign for the VFL side or Coburg, where he was training earlier in the PS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back