Certified Legendary Thread Premiers 2016 - BULLIES DEF SWANS.. WE ARE THE CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm just watching the Prelim replay on Foxtel again, and I'm still anxious watching it, and am still wanting to punch GWS' collective heads in. I was way more anxious in this game than I was the grand final. Did the GWS 'fans' come across as ignorant and unknowledgable at the ground, as thy did over the t.v.. Grand final is on after it, if anyone is interested. Just out of interest, I didn't hear any booing as Callan Ward went off.
Edit: My God, Toyd had already earned his money in the Prelim., the GF was the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Did the GWS 'fans' come across as ignorant and unknowledgable at the ground, as thy did over the t.v.
The GWS supporters marched to the ground together before the game, chanting "we've waited 5 years, it's our time!" - which if you ask me takes a certain degree of ignorance.

They were really pissed off when they started to cheer their team arriving on the ground for the first time only to be drowned out by our supporters.

They didn't have any idea what a footy record was for, very few places to buy one around the ground basically because the locals don't care about it.

The Sydney media were certainly ignorant of AFL (which I expected), talking about the "kick off" and so on, but I honestly didn't strike up any conversations with the GWS 'fans' whilst in Sydney.

Last edited:

Did anyone walk down Footscray road to the town hall? Peter Gordon referenced the possibility numerous times in the past years but I didn't hear anything post match. Was it just a myth??

No, but we walked from Whitten Oval to the Plough after the Family Day.

Probably the best, happiest and most satisfying time I've had in my Bulldog life!

Being there with about 250 other supporters, everyone wearing the Dogs gear, non stop singing of the song, meeting Susan Alberti and generally behaving like Libba on a tour of Vietnam was fantastic!

Food wasn't bad, either...

I'm just watching the Prelim replay on Foxtel again, and I'm still anxious watching it, and am still wanting to punch GWS' collective heads in. I was way more anxious in this game than I was the grand final. Did the GWS 'fans' come across as ignorant and unknowledgable at the ground, as thy did over the t.v.. Grand final is on after it, if anyone is interested. Just out of interest, I didn't hear any booing as Callan Ward went off.
Edit: My God, Toyd had already earned his money in the Prelim., the GF was the icing on the cake.
Maybe next year GWS will show a bit of humility, stop with the mouthing off and aggression, and play some honest footy.

No, I didn't think so.

As a general rule I never wander over on to other teams boards... for some reason I looked at the Sydney board tonight. Wow. 49 pages largely consisting of melts over the umpiring in the GF thread... and 48 pages of a thread 'umpiring in the grand final.' Last comment in the former was worth repeating though.

[URL="https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/grand-final.1147350/page-49#post-47585097"]Grand final[/URL]

The game was far better umpired even ten years ago, at least in the 2005 GF they put the whistle away for both sides.
We weren't favoured by the umps because of our perceived 'ugly' game style, but we were never bent over as badly as we were this year.

Then a Collingwood supporter comes back with...

I remember 2005 well. That was the year that Barry hall belted a bloke in the guts in the prelim final, which led to a swans goal at a critical stage of the game, and somehow mysteriously was cleared to play in the GF, a decision which probably won the flag for the swans. It was a hit that would have attracted 2-3 weeks on the sidelines if it wasn't perpetrated by a key Sydney player who the afl wanted to play in the GF. Talk about being looked after by the afl - I don't recall too much complaining from swans fans back then ?? And you blokes have got the hide to whinge about the umps in this year's GF. Fair dinkum, cry us a river. Just not good enough and beaten by a better side.

Gold...

As a general rule I never wander over on to other teams boards... for some reason I looked at the Sydney board tonight. Wow. 49 pages largely consisting of melts over the umpiring in the GF thread... and 48 pages of a thread 'umpiring in the grand final.' Last comment in the former was worth repeating though.

Grand final

The game was far better umpired even ten years ago, at least in the 2005 GF they put the whistle away for both sides.
We weren't favoured by the umps because of our perceived 'ugly' game style, but we were never bent over as badly as we were this year.

I remember 2005 well. That was the year that Barry hall belted a bloke in the guts in the prelim final, which led to a swans goal at a critical stage of the game, and somehow mysteriously was cleared to play in the GF, a decision which probably won the flag for the swans. It was a hit that would have attracted 2-3 weeks on the sidelines if it wasn't perpetrated by a key Sydney player who the afl wanted to play in the GF. Talk about being looked after by the afl - I don't recall too much complaining from swans fans back then ?? And you blokes have got the hide to whinge about the umps in this year's GF. Fair dinkum, cry us a river. Just not good enough and beaten by a better side.

Gold...
That one where Gary Rohan marked in front of goal but it was touched [2nd Q] - he couldn't hear the ump and he was yelling 'Play on Gary! Play on Gary!' like he wanted to let him know so he could kick a goal [which he did]. How about yelling to our defenders instead so they could tackle him??? Hmmmmm........

Grand final

Gold...

Looks like that post was reported several times and then deleted.

So much for truth.

That one where Gary Rohan marked in front of goal but it was touched [2nd Q] - he couldn't hear the ump and he was yelling 'Play on Gary! Play on Gary!' like he wanted to let him know so he could kick a goal [which he did]. How about yelling to our defenders instead so they could tackle him??? Hmmmmm........
Don't think there is anything wrong with that at all. That's how it should be in my view. Instruction has to go to the one with the ball. It is football, not tackleball.

Don't think there is anything wrong with that at all. That's how it should be in my view. Instruction has to go to the one with the ball. It is football, not tackleball.
Well maybe I'm biased :cool:

The "play-on" call is used to alert all players that the ball is currently in play- not just the guy with the ball. As such, the umpire should be just yelling "play-on" indiscriminately, rather than attempting to inform some players ahead of others. If you watch all year, the umpires don't yell "play-on Tom" or "play-on Jeff", even if the guy doesn't hear. Instead, they just continue to yell "play-on" to everyone. I don't see any reason to change this for the grand final. I could understand if they yelled it to just the player if everyone else already knew it was play-on, but it's not right to use the call to inform some players ahead of others when everyone is unaware.

Geeze that Swans board is SO SALTY, I've actually never seen anything like it..

They're now talking about leaving the AFL and only supporting their State leagues, calling us Victards and saying the only reason they stopped running in the 4th is because their best playing was ILLEGALLY TAKEN OUT at the start of the 4th - even though Easton was cleared of any wrongdoing by the MRP.

Feels good to sit back and read all the hate! I hope it keeps flowing until 2017, looks like we've got a bunch of new admirers over at the Sydney board :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're now talking about leaving the AFL and only supporting their State leagues, calling us Victards and saying the only reason they stopped running in the 4th is because their best playing was ILLEGALLY TAKEN OUT at the start of the 4th - even though Easton was cleared of any wrongdoing by the MRP.

Feels good to sit back and read all the hate! I hope it keeps flowing until 2017, looks like we've got a bunch of new admirers over at the Sydney board :D

Use of **** is frowned upon report the post

The "play-on" call is used to alert all players that the ball is currently in play- not just the guy with the ball. As such, the umpire should be just yelling "play-on" indiscriminately, rather than attempting to inform some players ahead of others. If you watch all year, the umpires don't yell "play-on Tom" or "play-on Jeff", even if the guy doesn't hear. Instead, they just continue to yell "play-on" to everyone. I don't see any reason to change this for the grand final. I could understand if they yelled it to just the player if everyone else already knew it was play-on, but it's not right to use the call to inform some players ahead of others when everyone is unaware.
It's not really informing one player ahead of others though is it? Just because the word Gary is used, that does not mean that Dale Morris suddenly becomes deaf and cannot hear the call of play on Garry. It is not as if the umpire went up to Rohan and whispered play on in his ear.

Oh I wish they would converge on the NEAFL without knowing that it's a fourth tier league.

Grand final

Gold...
The Swans board thread has a No Opposition Supporters allowed tag, as is their right, so it is 100% salt. That is, no opposition supporters unless you're prepared to offer your own complaint towards the umpires and AFL conspiracy.

If you wish to partake in some healthy debate, I recommend the Umpiring section of the main board. There are some more than willing clueless participants over there.

Apparently there was a better view of the Boyd goal today on the AFL site. If someone could direct it to me it would be much appreciated.

My personal view on the legs being taken out thing is that Morris was a free kick because the guy was standing up and he slid right under him from a long way out. Free kick every day of the week.

but the Wood V Hannebury one? Check the vid: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-10-01/hannebery-off-with-knee-injury

They are both running in towards the ball , and they both were going low - wood was just a bit instinctively quicker and was over the ball a split second before hannebury got there, and hence just a bit lower at impact. Sure hannebury got inured but accidents do happen. Just because he got injured doesnt mean Wood did anything illegal. Collisions where both players come in low happen dozens of times a game.

all diving situations bar the Hannebery one for me involved Sydney players actually playing for the contact below the knees. I do think the Hannebery one was very harsh and the one where Tmac got the free for high made sense looking back but at the time i thought that was a sydney free.

Having said that, there was a garbage Heeney push in the back free in our offensive hot spot inside 10 minutes to go. Really weird call where you see our guy made a genuine ball player. The Parker infringement above is a good pick up and the meaning of the word "conclusive" getting forgotten could've cost us the victory

Seriously, there was nothing in the Wood-Hannebery clash. It was unfortunate that Hannebery picked up an injury but Wood was there first and didn't make contact below the knees.

If that was the most egregious example of umpire wrongdoing, they've got nothing to complain about.

The collective delusion has produced a few pearlers. The Swans dropped their heads because they knew the result was a foregone conclusion, the AFL went out of their way to ensure a Dogs flag before the GWS era, the AFL are favouring Victorian clubs, the umpires were variously paid to reach that result/paid to deliver a result fitting a narrative/caught up in the hype etc.

I've always liked the Swans, and likely still would even if we'd lost, but the efforts of their supporters and administrators to belittle and cheapen our premiership has burned through that good will.

Maybe next year GWS will show a bit of humility, stop with the mouthing off and aggression, and play some honest footy.

No, I didn't think so.
No , prefer them to emulate their efforts from the PF especially Cameron Shaw Mumford and Griffen.
And what about Patton when he took the short steps when he saw Wood coming at him. Weak.

Last edited:
It's not really informing one player ahead of others though is it? Just because the word Gary is used, that does not mean that Dale Morris suddenly becomes deaf and cannot hear the call of play on Garry. It is not as if the umpire went up to Rohan and whispered play on in his ear.
Have you ever heard your name being said and suddenly tuned in to what someone was saying because of that? When you hear your own name, you are more likely to take notice of the voice speaking, your head is more likely to turn towards where the noise is coming from and you are more likely to focus on the voice talking to you ahead of other background noise. It gives Rohan an unfair advantage (albeit a minor advantage), and there's absolutely no reason why the umpire should be doing it. The correct call is "play-on", not "play-on Gary" or "play-on Dale".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back