Premiership and GF teams tips 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Well here is mine for 2023 AFL premiership and gf teams.

Collingwood v Sydney swans.

Winner: Collingwood by 26 points MCG attendance 100,025

Ok ok ok ok.

Always talking down the Pies of course you all do.

But i think 2023 The Pies have done the apprenticeship thing and a building and developing into a premiership team.

Like been groomed into a flag winning team.

Collingwood fix up polish and the finish for goals they win most weeks.

I just think why not.

2022 learning 2023 the development stage. Flag windows open a jar. And its on the up side of it opening as well.

They really arent far away and just need to chalk up matches in the kids all the while having pendles and howe and sidy there.

Good at least 1 -2 years upcoming.

I feel this decade will see Collingwood rise to the top.

Still flying under the radar and the experts dont see us winning but that a good thing we are always written off.

As with the swans they cant handle mcg on those big days the ground doesnt suit them but they love postage stamp SCG.

Ok ok i know what about the Cats as they are the current premiers i just cant see them winning 2 in a row.

Still make say semi final or a prelim. Just cant see them in another GF.

Both Pies and Swans have more to improve on more so Pies.

In the other teams i have Brisbane and Blues are improvers in 2023. Both times running out for both Brisbane and Blues. Now is the time.

Dees all depends on Grundy and Gawn experiment if it works top 4 if not spots 5-8 are theirs of if it really doesnt work then miss finals. Would be season over if either one has an ACL in the early rounds they just dont have a plan B Melbourne.

Tigers yes for the h and a matches but i just dont think they have that next level of improvement left in them. Ok i like Taranto ok cool but again they are topping up and its out of hope then anything. Aging a bit the tigers too. Will feature in the finals for sure ok.

Freo is unknowen.

The rest are hit and miss.

Spoons hawks or west coasts.

Drunk Bad Santa GIF by Sky

Would be the biggest GF in years. Melbourne will stop. Two Victorian clubs. Carlton in their first grand final of the 21st century then you have Richmond going for their 4th flag in 6 years
It would be big for sure, but i reckon a Blues v Pies or Bombers grand final would be even bigger. Melbourne v Collingwood would be a good grand final for a bit of 1950's nostalgia.

Whenever we play it's always a big bulidup.
Having all four of Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon and Richmond, up and about as legit premiership contenders would be massive for the competition massive.

Anyway i'll be optimistic and predict a Carlton v Geelong grand final. It would be nice to have a similar result to that 1995 grand final as well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Far and away the biggest lead up to a grand final in 2023 would be a Collingwood v Carlton GF.

This would be massive in GF week and to be honest too big.

Massive.

As with a bit of 50s nostalga then Collingwood v Melbourne.

But the massive ones Collingwood v Carlton.

Ok Ok I know richmond and cats are good but when they are in the GF doesnt have the same build up or massive feeling as say Pies Blues in it.

Far and away the biggest lead up to a grand final in 2023 would be a Collingwood v Carlton GF.

Massive.

Ok Ok I know richmond and cats are good but when they are in the GF doesnt have the same build up or massive feeling as say Pies Blues in it.
A Tiger army nibble.

Its been a long while since we had a huge build up to a gf.

i feel 2023 is the year though.

But as in past gfs.

My top 5 are as in terms of build up are:

1990 Collingwoods drought breaker the Colliwobbles tag still on them and Essendon to prove they are the best team for the times even though hawks were anyway.
some how i have 1995 gf there blues and cats the blues to rake on back from 1993 and to prove that 1987 was no fluke
2000 Essendon to win a flag in a dominatant year and there is a liklyhood of Melbourne to break their drought but had to wait till 2021
2002 the rise of the Pies v the best in the Brisbane lions
2003 no one had ever apart for Collingwood 4 in a row made it 3 peat Brisbane going for 3 in a row was a huge build up and Collingwood was thier opponent.

Worthy menitons i have 4

2005 sydney v west coast swans drought breaker v one of the best young teams at the time in the eagles
2010 collingwood v saints famous 1966 re percusions surrounded it saints looking for thier first flag since 1966 v Malthouses Magpies we actually had 2 gfs as well and the last ever drawn grand final was special.
2016 dogs fairy tale v one of the better teams around then in the Sydney swans to get one back from the 2013 gf when they played hawthorn.
2017 the start of the tigers era v around abouts crows.

As in the number 1 build up i have 1990.

Remember as a kid my life was totally controlled by it and could not sleep at all that gf week.

Massive.

I’m quite sure if you polled Richmond and Geelong supporters, you’d get a completely different opinion.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news here Timmy, but Collingwood in the GF, albeit against the Blues, Melbourne or Essendon isn’t the box office, stop the world spectacular you believe it is. Sure to pies fans (i believe you’re one) it is….it just isn’t !!

If every side played to their capacity and factoring in some variables from what we saw in 2022, I think a Geelong Melbourne decider is the most likely outcome but it wouldn’t surprise me if any combination of Carlton, Collingwood, Sydney, or Brisbane made it as well.

For the Demons it will be about whether they can rediscover what failed to click for them. They remind me of a footballing Virat Kohli at the moment: you know the talent is still there but how the hell do they unlock it again?

Geelong’s only major query is probably on filling the leadership void. I think Max Holmes makes a good replacement in the grand final 22 for Selwood, and I think there’s improvement in other guys. Whether the likes of Smith, Stanley, Hawkins, Dangerfield and Duncan maintain the level they were at last year is a bit of an unknown (yes I did say Stanley).

Sydney I see no reason not to be thereabouts.

Carlton have a lot of improving to do clearly but they’re also the obvious team who look like they have the tools with which to find it. The Pies got heaps out of 2022 but they need to find another gear and stop needing to rely on spirit as much as they have been.

Brisbane get mocked a bit as just being not good enough but they have some outstanding footy in them. A bit like Melbourne, finding what actually makes it happen and being tough enough in a prelim is the big mystery.

I’ll make a prediction of a Sydney Melbourne decider with Melbourne winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back