Toast Premiership anniversaries - an ongoing thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This twitter post by the club is something I have been thinking for a few weeks now, thought I'd wait to the new year, having dug up my old spreadsheet before Christmas, that each year we have at least one and most years multiple premiership anniversaries. When you win as many flags as we have, you have plenty every year and we can celebrate as we please. The "9" years have most anniversaries.

1884 - 135th - an unusual anniversary, but its ours and it was our first flag under the league title system, so who gives a s**t.

1939 - 80 years since the great Bob Quinn led us to our 13th flag

1954 - 65 years since the first of 6 in a row

1959 - 60 years since the last of 6 in a row and Motley followed Bob Quinn Fos to being a premiership captain coach

1979 - 40 years since that cold wet day at Footy Park and Greg Phillips killing the ball all last quarter

1989 - 30 years ago since we beat the 1 goal in mind oppo.

1994 - 25 years since Scott Hodges turned it on when we were bidding for the 2nd licence.

1999 - 20 years ago since the end of an era in the SANFL with many who won flags pre 1997 participating in their last flag.

The club link talks about those 8 flags above plus other issues like 25 years since we won the AFL licence.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-01-21/ports-2019-anniversaries

Remove this Banner Ad

Back