Premiership Coach

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I've decided that I'm going to take another look at the source today and over the next week. If I can at least get GWS fixed, change the start year from 2012 to 2018 and fix other bugs that prevent a season from being completed, then I can get a beta release out. If that stage gets reached, we can start thinking about features like free agency and fixing issues that were seen in PC2011.

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I've slowly been getting GWS to work with some good progress.

There was a problem with not being able to select GWS as your team so I fixed that, but noticed if you selected GWS, the game crashes at the start. I found out this was due to there being no banner that appears at the top of the main screen for GWS. I fixed this by simply taking the club icon and making it into the banner.

The other problem was not being able to view stats for games that involved GWS, as this lead to a crash when doing so. The problem was that there was no rounded icon for GWS. I have added this icon, however it wasn't as simple as just having an image file for it. The rounded club icons were actually made through code. Here is what it looks like now for GWS. I need feedback on whether the GWS icon looks good enough as it is, or does there need to be slight changes in the colour.

I will be going through and checking what other things need to be fixed for GWS to work. Once that is done, I will change the game year to 2018, aswell as fix the preseason/season fixtures. There are also some features that were in PC2011, but for some reason are broken in this version, such as the newspaper articles.

98bb38a0b77b63b824af00ec4904d128.png

fc6cc7f1c61f112cbba334a4bb3e70fd.png

Last edited:
I've slowly been getting GWS to work with some good progress.

There was a problem with not being able to select GWS as your team so I fixed that, but noticed if you selected GWS, the game crashes at the start. I found out this was due to there being no banner that appears at the top of the main screen for GWS. I fixed this by simply taking the club icon and making it into the banner.

The other problem was not being able to view stats for games that involved GWS, as this lead to a crash when doing so. The problem was that there was no rounded icon for GWS. I have added this icon, however it wasn't as simple as just having an image file for it. The rounded club icons were actually made through code. Here is what it looks like now for GWS. I need feedback on whether the GWS icon looks good enough as it is, or does there need to be slight changes in the colour.

I will be going through and checking what other things need to be fixed for GWS to work. Once that is done, I will change the game year to 2018, aswell as fix the preseason/season fixtures, aswell as things that should have been expected to work like the newspaper feature.

98bb38a0b77b63b824af00ec4904d128.png

fc6cc7f1c61f112cbba334a4bb3e70fd.png
giphy.gif

Once it's done I'll make a mod that contains the stuff that legally can't be put into the game like club logos as icons or changing The Daily News into Herald Sun/The Advertiser/anything. For what it's worth I made the below images. The MCG doesn't look too crash hot but the newspapers came out well.
MCG.png

Newspaper.png
Newspaper_left.png
Newspaper_right.png

SJL93

Debutant
Sep 17, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nice work. Gets me pumped for this new version. No rush though, get it right.

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Note: Long update post below (Don't panic, nothing bad has happened)

So yesterday I updated you guys with my progress for getting GWS in the game. At the moment with my testing, it appears that there isn't much else to add in for GWS aside from their home and away jumpers and those little circles that show a players number while playing a match. The jumpers/circles for each club are loaded from image files, so maybe if I uploaded the ones for the other clubs someone could make the GWS ones.

So far I have just been fixing problems that I have encountered while playing through a career. I can seem to progress through a year without error, however I start getting a couple of errors from the second year onward. These errors appear to be newspaper related, which happens to be the feature I am going to look at next.

There is also another error when advancing through trade week that causes the game to crash. I haven't fixed this yet. But it will be done once I see what is going on with the newspaper feature.

I've also encountered some other issues such as the Brownlow medal count not showing all 9 games (only showed 8 games as the code wasn't finished from PC2011), and not being able to accept a new job offer if you got fired. Both of the issues

In terms of what I have fixed from the original open source code. I have pasted my changelog below. It won't really make sense unless you have actually had a look and tried running the open source version. Regardless, it still shows what I have been doing the past couple of days.

Lastly, I have a few other things I want to address
  • As mentioned above, there are missing jumper graphics for GWS. I might make these myself, however I am wondering if someone else would be able to do them. This isn't really that important at the moment as currently GWS uses Sydney's jumper graphics to work.
  • I should mention that I am not a programmer, however I do have some coding knowledge. Due to this, when things start getting too hard for me to fix, I will upload my code to allow others to continue on with the project.
  • From next week onward, Progress will be slower as I had more time this week. That being said, I will still have a decent amount of time to work on this.
  • I do plan on getting a playable beta out sometime soon. At the moment, getting the newspaper articles to work, fixing the preseason and changing the game year to 2018 appear to be the only things left to do. (This can change as I may find more game-breaking bugs.)
  • If I get up to the stage of releasing the beta. I will upload my code too as I know there are other people such as 21C who have attempted to get this game to work and may want to try again.
  • I have switched over to haydo's 2017 lists for testing. I can confirm that the lists do work with the open source version. Unfortunately, I can't say the same with SJL93 2018 lists, however I may be able to fix that. If I do get to the stage of releasing a beta, I will need people to add in the GWS players and ratings.

Last edited:

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Ohhhh this is gonna be good!!!! uncustom you are a legend!
I could possibly make some jumper graphics if I get some dimensions and stuff.

I'll probably get someone to do the graphics once I get a version out that people can test to find bugs. The source files have the graphics for the other teams, so at the very least its just a recolouring job.

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
You guys can expect a pre-beta version of the game somewhat soon. I'm just wondering if it is better to release it only to a few people who want to help find bugs, or to release it publicly and get input from everyone. Either way, let me know if you are interested in beta testing so I know who wants to help when the time comes.

You guys can expect a pre-beta version of the game somewhat soon. I'm just wondering if it is better to release it only to a few people who want to help find bugs, or to release it publicly and get input from everyone. Either way, let me know if you are interested in beta testing so I know who wants to help when the time comes.
Interested!

You know you can count on me mate

TheBeardAmigos

Brownlow Medallist
May 15, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
happy to help

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I think I will be releasing the pre-beta sometime tomorrow.

A couple of things to note regarding the pre-beta.
  • I will message all the people who either said they were interested or liked my post regarding the beta testing. The message will contain the download link as well as some information about the beta.
  • Unfortunately, it appears the 2017/2018 lists don't properly work. I think it is a combination of the open source version using a slightly different player file structure and something to do with the contracts (Even though I moved all contracts to end of 2012/2013 rather than 2011). I will take a look at how the current 2017/2018 lists can work with the new version of the game so that we do not need to make them from scratch.
  • The beta will use 2012 lists that Grenville uploaded on this thread. The lists include a squad of 40 GWS players, however not all of them are actual GWS players, some are from other teams such as Fraser McInnes and Chad Wingard.
  • I will not be changing the start game date to 2018 as of yet. The main reason is that I wan't to try find other bugs beforehand. I feel that changing the game year to 2018 will mean changing a bunch of other things. Therefore I want to leave this for the next beta version.
I've done quite a bit of testing and have gotten up to 2015 in my current career. Keep in mind that I have been simming everything and have not touched the match engine yet. This means that I don't know if you will actually be able to play the games during the beta, although my initial guess is that you should be able to for all games except those with GWS. This is because GWS does not have those circle player icons with the jumper numbers. (GWS actually has one for number 25, but the rest from 1-50 don't exist yet)

I've also posted the changes to the open source version since my last post.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Hi uncustom I am interested in beta testing!

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Decided to release it now rather than tomorrow. As there were quite a few of you who wanted to try it out, rather than messaging everyone individually, I messaged 5 people each in 3 conversations for a total of 15 (No idea why the limit is 5 as I wanted to have the one conversation for everyone)

Last edited:

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
As it can be quite problematic to update everyone through 3 conversations. I will post all found issues here.
  • Problems with the colour of dropdown boxes. (I haven't observed this myself)
  • Can't select anything in match tactics screen.
  • If you choose to coach the matches, the game crashes after a few seconds. I have found a fix for this and will upload a new version.
  • No scout reports in mail.
  • Game crashed while viewing scouting page and draft interviews.
  • Game can sometimes crash when making trades with other teams. (Need to investigate further)
Some of the issues that people may find are related to the test lists. For example I was told GWS have no staff, but this can simply be fixed by updating the lists. (To be done when we make the 2018/19 lists)

Also, If any of you are confused on how to add your own players to the trade table, you just have to go to your clubs view and right click the players name in the roles screen. My guess is Ad did not get to finish updating trade week.

Last edited:

uncustom

All Australian
Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Here's what I mean
dropdownboxes.png
ut

All those gray boxes have "None" written in them, but you can barely see that

I see. This is why its helpful to have other people test things out because there are lots of things you can miss.

Edit: I'm not experiencing the same issue. I am aware other people are though but not sure if its everyone else. While I haven't investigated the issue yet, there is a chance it may be something on your side.

Last edited:
Back