Toast Premiership President Peggy O’Neal to stay on as Tigers president

Remove this Banner Ad

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Peggy O'Neal to stay on as Tigers president

MICHAEL GLEESON FEBRUARY 05, 2019

Peggy O’Neal will remain as president of the Tigers for another three years beyond this season despite a new rule limiting presidents to two-term maximums.

O’Neal has been asked by the board to remain as president for a third term regardless of the recent amendment.

6de9625c6974433e2abd0b1871937de830af1be4

As O’Neal had been president for a term prior to the rule change the board took the view that the change only applied from the date of the change onwards. Hence O’Neal had only served one term under the new rules and so was clear to remain in the chair. She has agreed to do so.

“I had not thought about it [staying on for another term] much because I knew I had another year to go so it had not really crossed my mind but at the end of last year Rob Dalton was leaving as vice-president and he asked, 'Do you have another term?’ ” O’Neal said.

“I said I am not sure [where it sits with the change to the rules]. Rob said leave it to me and he handled it. There were board discussions without me – I didn’t think it was appropriate that I be involved in those discussions.

“When you win it’s really fun but at the same time if there was someone else they felt should take over that was fine, too.

“The board satisfied themselves about my eligibility and said I can do another term because the amendment was for a maximum of two terms from the date of the amendment and they wanted me to do another term. At Richmond the board elects the president.

“I thought if they place the confidence in me then I will keep going, so I was happy to say yes when they asked me to do another term.”

O’Neal became the AFL’s first female club president when she was appointed by the board to lead the club in October, 2013.

She famously saw off one of the worst board challenges mounted at a football club when the 'Focus on Football' group sought to overthrow the board and the coach, then abandoned their high-profile challenge almost before it started.

Less than 12 months later the club went on to win the 2017 premiership with O’Neal at the helm as president. The idea of stability, both in retaining Damien Hardwick and not turning over the board, was viewed as significant in the club’s success.

Her goal now as president is to leave the club consistently in contention on the field. She reasons that no one can guarantee flags but strong clubs establish a framework that enables the team to consistently put themselves in contention.

Off the field the plan is for sustained financial security and a legacy project to complete the further redevelopment of the Punt Road headquarters.

Latest Q&A from Premiership President Peggy O’Neal:

In the latest of a series of regular columns, Richmond President Peggy O’Neal answers questions from Richmond members and supporters.

Dear fellow Tigers,

This is my first column for 2019 and with the season opener just 44 days away the sense of excitement is building already. I am pleased to answer some of your recent questions below and look forward to chatting with you during the season.

Peggy, you have done great things for the Club, can you stay President forever?

That would be nice but tiring! According to the Constitution, I can remain in the role of President for one further term beyond this year, and that will take me through to the 2022 Annual General Meeting. The board has asked me to remain and I have agreed.
It will be a privilege to continue to work with the Board, in service of our members, for another term. Then it will be someone else's honour to serve as president of our great Club.

I may have missed it Peggy, but who is our Vice-President following the retirement of Rob Dalton?

Emmett Dunne is the club’s new Vice-President, replacing Rob Dalton. The Board made the appointment at its December board meeting. As you may be aware, Tina De Young was also appointed to the Board at that time, and will replace Rob as chair of the Finance and Audit Committee. We look forward to Tina's valuable and able contribution to the Board.
Rob Dalton has agreed to stay on as chair of Aligned Leisure, our subsidiary sport and recreation business, and we are fortunate to have him still involved with the Club's business endeavours.

Are we a genuine chance to reach 100,000 members again? It would be a great thing for the Club to go past that milestone for a second year.

That is most certainly our ambition. We recently launched our 2019 membership campaign The Hunt Continues and it has been very well received. Our membership tally has just ticked through 81,000 so we are well placed to again reach the 100,000 mark. The passion and loyalty of our supporter base continues to amaze all of us. If you haven't renewed your membership, do so now!

I watched the AFLW last weekend and am really looking forward to having a Richmond team in the competition next season. How is the build-up going?

Fielding a team in the AFLW competition will be a significant undertaking, and the establishment of our VFLW team in 2018 provided some important learnings for the Club. Another season in the VFLW will have us even better placed for 2020.

Under the guidance of Kate Sheahan, I have no doubt that we will field a competitive AFLW team that will do the Club proud. In the meantime, we will offer all the support we can to the VFLW team, which has quickly become an integral part of our Club.

I simply wanted to say how fantastic it is the Club has been able to keep Steve Morris involved. He will do a great job again leading the VFL team.

I concur wholeheartedly. Steve is a fine young man with great values. Our young players learn a lot from Steve on and off the field. The captaincy of our VFL team is a significant role and key to the development of our list. We were all thrilled that Steve agreed to be a part of our Club again in 2019.

This AFLX stuff is just ridiculous. What if one of our players gets injured? Does the AFL ask for an opinion before doing this?

AFLX has certainly divided opinions. The AFL is obviously looking for opportunities to engage different markets and potentially develop a product to take overseas.
We understand the need to innovate but, equally, we hope all players come through injury free.

If Eddie can get away with it why can't we?
Eddie McGuire became Collingwood President on 29 October 1998 – his 34th birthday.
This is another afl stupid rule as if you have someone successful why do they have to be replaced. Shouldn't it be left to the club and members to decide?

Eddie McGuire became Collingwood President on 29 October 1998 – his 34th birthday.
This is another afl stupid rule as if you have someone successful why do they have to be replaced. Shouldn't it be left to the club and members to decide?
It is a club rule

Yeah ok but its still a stupid rule which should be tossed out.

Problem is when a president essentially rules and then starts appointing their love children. Some turnover in leadership is good. too much is bad. What's just right - not sure. But about every 6-8 years I reckon is about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree.Why fix something thats not broken.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back