Premiership trophy cabinets

Remove this Banner Ad

All the AFL clubs except the Suns and Freo should be able to display ALL their Premiership Cups/ Flags from those clubs inceptions.

IE: All the Victorian AFL clubs from the VFA in 1877 onwards because that is where their history starts from.
WE should not forget that for 20 years 1877 - 1896 the VFA was the only competition and that every current AFL club from Victoria came via the VFA.

This is about a clubs history NOT a particualr Leagues history.

c3b84363-4df8-448c-a3a7-d011ee751f46.jpg

All the AFL clubs except the Suns and Freo should be able to display ALL their Premiership Cups/ Flags from those clubs inceptions.

IE: All the Victorian AFL clubs from the VFA in 1877 onwards because that is where their history starts from.
WE should not forget that for 20 years 1877 - 1896 the VFA was the only competition and that every current AFL club from Victoria came via the VFA.

This is about a clubs history NOT a particualr Leagues history.

There were no premiership cups/flags handed out in the early days of the VFA.

The "family club" of Hawthorn like to keep their trophies in a cabinet away from the prying eyes of their "family"?

I would have thought they would put at least some of them in the museum they have there at Waverley. That is surprising. poor effort Hawthorn.

Calm down young Jedi.

Anyone that wants to see them only has to ask, you can have your pic taken with them or even holding one up.

I have had mine taken holding the 88 and 89 cups.

Also held the 2008 cup.

h8mzzswj:tw1

neither do the other lot mate.
They are mostly insignificant VFL trophies that no Interstate sides were a part of so there is hardly anything to brag about when you weren't even competing against half the comp.

Actually 12 of the 17 clubs have been around for most of the time, so it’s more like 30% of the current clubs that weren’t competing all those years, not “half” as you claim.

We better wipe ALL previous premierships now, GC and GWS now make up more than 10% of the comp, and they didn’t exist before this year, you can’t really claim anything won when they weren’t even competing.

There were no premiership cups/flags handed out in the early days of the VFA.

There were no cups handed out for the first 60 odd years of the VFL either. Hence certain clubs boasting of the 16 premiership cups that they won is not entirely accurate.

On the other hand, you are incorrect in saying the VFA didn't hand out flags. North Melbourne has a couple of its VFA flags from the early years.

There were no cups handed out for the first 60 odd years of the VFL either. Hence certain clubs boasting of the 16 premiership cups that they won is not entirely accurate.

On the other hand, you are incorrect in saying the VFA didn't hand out flags. North Melbourne has a couple of its VFA flags from the early years.

pretty sure they made cups for people who won flags ages ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

neither do the other lot mate.
They are mostly insignificant VFL trophies that no Interstate sides were a part of so there is hardly anything to brag about when you weren't even competing against half the comp.

No they were competing against the full comp, your teams hadnt been invited is all, using your theory no flags are worth anything except next years as that is the first time 18 teams will have played off for the flag :rolleyes:

It's great that Geelong have their cups available to walk past and have a look at any time, It would be great if the eagles and other clubs followed suit. They are as much the fans cups as the clubs inner sanctums.

Yep, all of Collingwoods are on display at the Westpac Centre. Also on display are the Anzac Day trophies etc. I know that our original 1958 VFL Premiership is at the National Sports Museum

I haven't see Geelong's...but sounds like a nice idea.

I absolutely love the way Essendon's is setup...I think it looks fantastic...totally taking pride in their achievements, and why not.

Melbourne's looks pretty nice too...Norths is ok.

Going off the photos alone...Hawthorns looks a bit like its just kinda there because it has to be and its nothing special.

Carltons looks like its hidden away as part of the Stairs/Emergency Exit.

Thats going off the photos purely. Mind you, I like the way them 16 premierships dominate the wall like that.

Wishing Noob Teams would respect the heritage of this League and its clubs heritage and their success.

At risk of de-railing this thread im guessing no-one has kicked 150goals in a season, or player 400+ games, or won 3 brownlows, or played in front of 121,000 people before. In Interstate eyes only 1990 onwards count

As for Port, (Its obviously 1997 onwards) I really dont see a problem with them showing off their 5217 Encouragement Awards....if thats what they think "Existing to win premierships" and "Success" are...thats fine.

I personally dont bother about how many Premierships the Geelong U14's have won, and I dont really care to see them displayed with our "Proper" Premierships....but each to their own.

Back on topic.... apologies.

I would like to see Collingwoods cabinet, McGuire seems to be a guy who takes a hell of a lot of pride showing off the Club and everything...like commissioning that guy to paint a picture of 2010 premiership team...was a nice touch and was very much like when each team got their Team Of Century paintings done. Wish Geelong would get something like that done.

At risk of de-railing this thread im guessing no-one has kicked 150goals in a season, or player 400+ games, or won 3 brownlows, or played in front of 121,000 people before. In Interstate eyes only 1990 onwards count

Of course people have done that, just not in the AFL.

I don't have a problem with old Vic clubs counting flags from the VFL it's just annoying when some people claim their team has won X amount of AFL Premierships when they've only won 1 or so after 1990.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back