Premiership trophy cabinets

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of Port's

port_club4.jpg

port_club3.jpg

I don't have a problem with old Vic clubs counting flags from the VFL it's just annoying when some people claim their team has won X amount of AFL Premierships when they've only won 1 or so after 1990.

Thats just a matter of opinion and how you want to class things or define things. Obviously teams have X amount of VFL and Y amount of AFL...purely as it is written, and its shown as the symbol is different on the badge in the photos people have posted...but they are one and the same thing, no matter how you put it....highlighted by the fact that the Cups are ALL THE SAME!!!!.

Really...you should get used to it as all the history books, and the AFL itself recognize these achievements as a continuous league. They make no distinction...therefore neither do we..and neither should you.

Had the Eagles won something in the 80's...im certain your tone would be different.

Maybe no interstate teams agree about it because they dont have a history long enough to be counted for anything..and definitely does not count for heritage.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, i dont mean it like that...i just mean that...if the league changed names now...All Intertate teams wouldnt care because your short history means you wouldnt lose much...you would probably be happy as everyone is on a level playing field...but in another 75 years if West Coast has won another 10 premierships and has a team of the century and all this rich wonderful colorful beautiful history that has made the club what it is....If the name was changed...you would be marching on their doorstep to have any any Eagles records and its history recognised as part of the Heritage and History of that league.

And I can see Port people saying..Hell yeah, what about our history...but they were 2 completely different entities..signified by the fact that the jumper is different, being the POWER is not a magpie, and the fact that they never played in the VFL.

It is exactly the same as why teams arnt permitted VFA Premierships...rightly so i think. But theres nothing wrong with these teams showing off any other achievements they have...they just arnt premierships won in the "Highest Standard Of Football Played In Australia At The Time".

Maybe we have a new name for the league.

HSOFPIACATT.

What's all that other rubbish in there? And what the hell is that one with the chicken on top of it? What's the go with that?

Thats a bit harsh....peter crimmins boots are in yours if im not mistaken.

Things arnt rubbish if they mean something to the club.

Having said that...i was wondering about the chicken too...ha.

Thats a bit harsh....peter crimmins boots are in yours if im not mistaken.

Things arnt rubbish if they mean something to the club.

Having said that...i was wondering about the chicken too...ha.
Every club should be justifiably proud of their trophies. Fortunately the Pies don't display their runners-up medals... too many painful memories.

Also wondering about the North Melbourne c*ck trophy... something to do with Wayne Carey perhaps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should add, the hawks do have every OTHER trophy on display to the public.
Including pre-season/night premierships, old best and fairest trophies etc...

And the club isnt afraid of its its history either. Back in the day the "old" clubs used to "donate" wooden spoons, which the clubs also displays

Thats just a matter of opinion and how you want to class things or define things. Obviously teams have X amount of VFL and Y amount of AFL...purely as it is written, and its shown as the symbol is different on the badge in the photos people have posted...but they are one and the same thing, no matter how you put it....highlighted by the fact that the Cups are ALL THE SAME!!!!.

Really...you should get used to it as all the history books, and the AFL itself recognize these achievements as a continuous league. They make no distinction...therefore neither do we..and neither should you.

Had the Eagles won something in the 80's...im certain your tone would be different.

Maybe no interstate teams agree about it because they dont have a history long enough to be counted for anything..and definitely does not count for heritage.

Can't remember where but on the AFL site they referred to some record as VFL/AFL. If the Eagles had won a flag in the 80's I would say that we have won 4 VFL/AFL premierships, I'm not saying we should forget everything before 1990 just recognise it as a VFL/AFL record etc.

Carltons looks like its hidden away as part of the Stairs/Emergency Exit.

Actually its right at the main entrance when you walk into Visy Park. Looks fantastic, the whole wall cabinet looks better than the cylinder style cabinet in my opinion.

I was thinking the same thing. I know Port aren't rolling in money but seriously.......

The trophies are displayed at the front of the Port Club, as you walk in. The AFL premiership cup is front and centre on entry, but we've won a shitload of different cups and trophies over 141 years and we have them displayed around the club.

What you can see behind the cabinets in the photo is the bistro. The food there is brilliant and you are enveloped in Port Adelaide history as you eat.

The AFL premiership trophy is displayed much more prominently.

Good thread idea, and a good thread minus the couple of VFL/AFL arguers.

I have always loved Essendon's and it is my favourite, an ignoring my obvious bias, if I didn't support Essendon I would still rate theirs as on of the best. The cylinder is fancy and very cool.

Despite the lack of picture in here, the thought of Geelong's is very, very impressive. Displaying with pride for everyone at any time gives me alot of respect for the club.

Carlton's is a strange one. On one hand, it is very emphatic and gives off a powerful view, on the other it is a bit ugly in its simplicity. Guess it depends on what you're looking for and opinions differ.

I like the painting behind Hawthorn's cups.

Melbourne's is amazing if you like new age decor. That look isn't my thing, and I was impressed. Very classy setup.

North's is simple and proud. Their 75 VFL cup looks fat, like a normal VFL/AFL cup with a gut. I like the array on display, alot of different and good looking trophies, definitely a showing to be proud of. I am curious what the blue thing in the bottom left corner is?

West Coast's again simple and effective. I like the key to the city. Is it in the foyer at headquarters?

Port Adelaide's does not work for me. Looks like something one would find in a Bendigo pub or something. They are trophies, they need a lot more prestige in their display than being near the bar.

Like the uniqueness of Essendon's, Geelong's sounds fantastic too. I also like how accessible Port's is to their fans. :thumbsu: As someone said earlier, these things should be on display to anyone who wants to see them, you can tell a lot about a club by the way they engage their fans at their home base.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh, i dont mean it like that...i just mean that...if the league changed names now...All Intertate teams wouldnt care because your short history means you wouldnt lose much...you would probably be happy as everyone is on a level playing field...but in another 75 years if West Coast has won another 10 premierships and has a team of the century and all this rich wonderful colorful beautiful history that has made the club what it is....If the name was changed...you would be marching on their doorstep to have any any Eagles records and its history recognised as part of the Heritage and History of that league.

And I can see Port people saying..Hell yeah, what about our history...but they were 2 completely different entities..signified by the fact that the jumper is different, being the POWER is not a magpie, and the fact that they never played in the VFL.

It is exactly the same as why teams arnt permitted VFA Premierships...rightly so i think. But theres nothing wrong with these teams showing off any other achievements they have...they just arnt premierships won in the "Highest Standard Of Football Played In Australia At The Time".

Maybe we have a new name for the league.

HSOFPIACATT.

Pretty solid argument, though there will always be some who still take exception. :rolleyes:

What's all that other rubbish in there? And what the hell is that one with the chicken on top of it? What's the go with that?

Maybe it's Boris? :p

Does anybody have the pictures of our flags up in the new facility?

The Lions' are scattered through three locations:
- The first seven of Fitzroy's are in a new Lions memorabilia area in Etihad.
- The 1944 cup is in the Museum of Sport.
- The three Brisbane Lions cups are in our social club.

Don't have photos of any unfortunately, but I believe the Etihad area is the most impressive (it's the only one I haven't seen given I haven't been down to Melbourne since it opened).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back