Premierships open to fastest best tackling side in 2018 ... or Hocking the key!

Remove this Banner Ad

May 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Dogs and Tigers have won the last 2 premierships by overwhelming their opposition with relentless pressure. Beating sides which technically are better equipped with highly skilled players but unable to handle the extreme pressure of multiple players hunting in packs to tackle and force pressured turnovers.

Fitter, Faster, Stronger ... the game will keep heading in this direction unless a way can be found to tire and slow down players. The ball is now in Steve Hockings court ... the time has come to seriously reduce rotations otherwise expect more of the same where brutally aggressive fast tackling will continue to impact on the leagues most skilled players.

The best team got smacked by 8 goals in the grand final ... I love that it happened and will live off the satisfaction for years to come, but the AFL should take it as a warning.

Dogs and Tigers have won the last 2 premierships by overwhelming their opposition with relentless pressure. Beating sides which technically are better equipped with highly skilled players but unable to handle the extreme pressure of multiple players hunting in packs to tackle and force pressured turnovers.

Fitter, Faster, Stronger ... the game will keep heading in this direction unless a way can be found to tire and slow down players. The ball is now in Steve Hockings court ... the time has come to seriously reduce rotations otherwise expect more of the same where brutally aggressive fast tackling will continue to impact on the leagues most skilled players.

The best team got smacked by 8 goals in the grand final ... I love that it happened and will live off the satisfaction for years to come, but the AFL should take it as a warning.

Agreed, AFL should me a game to showcase attacking skills not one dominated by defence

I've mentioned this elsewhere. But switch to 4 substitutes. No more interchange.

Or if that solution poses too many insurmountable issues, then like you say, significantly limit rotations. 10 per quarter say.

Just putting down Richmond's success to fast tackling small forwards is moronic. They set up extremely well behind the ball and their midfield is a disciplined unit that understands how to defend.

What is clear is that Dimma is excellent at teaching his players how to play football and implement their game plan. He just had the wrong game plan for the majority of his career.

The tigers built a side to take advantage of a 'weakness' in AFL backmen. It's worked. It can be stopped. But to replicate the approach requires every team to have 5ish quality fast, endurance small forwards. There aren't enough players to do that. Or you train the defenders to be running machines that create a whole of ground press. Which wrecks the structure teams use right now. Someone will work out how to break the defensive small forward line.

On the other hand the Tigers were also an attacking side. Not Adelaide attacking. But come the end of the season and finals over 100 points per game. That's pretty high scoring.

Someone will work out a way to take advantage of weaknesses in how the game is played.

On restricting interchange. Would that hurt or help this Richmond side? The key advantage they have is a large group of fast, high endurance small forwards with decent skills. If they can burn the opposition already won't that just get exacerbated with fewer interchanges? The faster fitter guys will slow down more slowly, just increasing the advantage inherent in those players. You could end up with the Tigers being slowed down, but the oppo being smashed physically as they can't keep up. It could easily turn the game into an endurance test. You could start to lose some of the less athletic quality pure footballers as they just can't run the game out.

Just putting down Richmond's success to fast tackling small forwards is moronic. They set up extremely well behind the ball and their midfield is a disciplined unit that understands how to defend.

What is clear is that Dimma is excellent at teaching his players how to play football and implement their game plan. He just had the wrong game plan for the majority of his career.
Nailed it.
Our zone defence/set up is hugely underrated.

I've mentioned this elsewhere. But switch to 4 substitutes. No more interchange.

Or if that solution poses too many insurmountable issues, then like you say, significantly limit rotations. 10 per quarter say.
No the game is fine

Having 4 of probably the top 20 players in the comp playing career best footy for an entire season helps.

Name one coach or game plan that wouldn't excel in that circumstance.

Go on, name one...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm failing to see the "problem".

I like the way the Tigers play, and want to see more of it. They haven't been afforded any unfair advantages, I would much prefer that the other teams are tasked with trying to beat them, rather than rules be changed to quell the effectiveness of their gameplan.

No the game is fine
No it's not.

There have been close games, which are exciting and entertaining due to the finish - but the game itself is not appealing at all. IMO.

Sports don't prosper if the only drawcard is the result.

The AFL is treaded very, very close to the edge in that regard.

The Bulldogs and Richmond results of the past two years have saved their arse quite frankly. It's created huge interest in the comp - despite the lame product. It's a false economy.

I'm failing to see the "problem".

I like the way the Tigers play, and want to see more of it. They haven't been afforded any unfair advantages, I would much prefer that the other teams are tasked with trying to beat them, rather than rules be changed to quell the effectiveness of their gameplan.
And that's fair enough.

But I disagree.

It's kind of like when they used to water Moorabbin. Modern footy is all about preventing your opponent from executing their skills. Not bettering their skill level - but shutting them down.

It literally means the game is played at a far less skillful standard. Which in my opinion, isn't overly entertaining.

Fitter, Faster, Stronger ... the game will keep heading in this direction unless a way can be found to tire and slow down players.
But taking your scenario, reducing rotations wont level the playing field - the fitter, faster, stronger players will still be so...

The solution - if one is needed and I'm not convinced it is - would have to be tactical. Introducing zones like in the TAC for example

But taking your scenario, reducing rotations wont level the playing field - the fitter, faster, stronger players will still be so...

The solution - if one is needed and I'm not convinced it is - would have to be tactical. Introducing zones like in the TAC for example
The theory is though, that no human can maintain the level of intensity required to carry out the modern 'defensive strangulation' style of play that has recently been so effective, for an entire game.

If they don't get a rest (or about a dozen rests like they have now!) the shitty game plans won't work anymore.

The issue of course is, that coaches will tell tired players to go and stand in the D50 for the rest of the quarter - so the good old flood will return.

And if they don't do that, the dickhead coaches will come up with some other garbage strategy that wrecks the game.

Zones are too manufactured for mine. I don't know what the answer is to be honest.

But I think the coaches is where the AFL has to start. The game is overcoached, which is where the issues always arise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back