Analysis FINALS! - Who and where will we play?

Now we're made finals what are your expectations?

• Runners up

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Straight set exit (lose QF, lose SF)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ve got two rounds to play, we need to win one to lock in AFL finals.

Our VFL team have qualified.

Given our injuries / availabilities, how would you prepare our list for finals? Who would you have try different positions? Would you rest any players? (And bring in ...?) Would you give any players AFL experience (and omit ...?). Would you strike a line through any players as ‘not required for finals’ as MM used to do?

The following players are listed as out for the season ...

Scharenberg
Dunn
Wells
Broomhead
Reid

Additionally listed as “indefinite” ...

Kirby

The following players are injured and are listed as possible returns according to afl.com.au (information last updated on their website 13th August) ...

Elliott - 2 to 3 weeks
Moore - 2 to 3 weeks
Treloar - 4 to 5 weeks

The following players were selected to play against Brisbane ...

Maynard
Langdon
Crisp
Oxley
Madgen
Greenwood
Varcoe
Pendlebury
Philips
Aish
Mihocek
DeGoey
Thomas
Cox
Mayne
Grundy
Adams
Sidebottom
Stephenson
Murray
Hoskin-Elliott

The following players have been injured but are due to return immently ...

Appleby
Goldsack
Howe
Wills

That leaves the following fit senior listed / rookie players ...

Fasolo
Blair
C.Brown
McLarty
Daicos
Murphy
T.Brown
Crocker
Smith
Lynch

Last edited:
Latest news today has Elliott ruled out for the year and Treloar on a similar timeline to Goldsack.

Our injuries and the closeness of the ladder limit our ability to prepare, but we should get some AFL games into Fasolo and possibly McLarty, Smith and Blair, so they’re more ready if called upon. Otherwise a Medhurst situation comes to mind where they lack AFL touch.

VFL team Made Finals while AFL not there Officially yet so got to do that 1st.

But do we Risk Treloar IF he is not Quite 100% and Risk of Him Getting Injured again or Worse?

We’ve got two rounds to play, we need to win one to lock in AFL finals.

Our VFL team have qualified.

Given our injuries / availabilities, how would you prepare our list for finals? Who would you have try different positions? Would you rest any players? (And bring in ...?) Would you give any players AFL experience (and omit ...?). Would you strike a line through any players as ‘not required for finals’ as MM used to do?

The following players are listed as out for the season ...

Scharenberg
Dunn
Wells
Broomhead
Reid

Additionally listed as “indefinite” ...

Kirby

The following players are injured and are listed as possible returns according to afl.com.au (information last updated on their website 13th August) ...

Elliott - 2 to 3 weeks
Moore - 2 to 3 weeks
Treloar - 4 to 5 weeks

The following players were selected to play against Brisbane ...

Maynard
Langdon
Crisp
Oxley
Madgen
Greenwood
Varcoe
Pendlebury
Philips
Aish
Mihocek
DeGoey
Thomas
Cox
Mayne
Grundy
Adams
Sidebottom
Stephenson
Murray
Hoskin-Elliott

The following players have been injured but are due to return immently ...

Appleby
Goldsack
Howe
Wills

That leaves the following fit senior listed / rookie players ...

Fasolo
Blair
C.Brown
McLarty
Daicos
Murphy
T.Brown
Crocker
Smith

Sorry 76 but this thread reminded me of this from MFC in 2017. :eek:

Sorry 76 but this thread reminded me of this from MFC in 2017. :eek:

Can't think Finals until it's 100% Sure we have Made It
Been around too long Dave to count my chickens too early. :rooster:

Would you send Treloar off to Hawaii to chill out on the beach with a cocktail in hand with the message “You go and recover and enjoy yourself, and we’ll call you if we qualify for finals”?? Neither would I.

Eventhough we haven’t qualified for finals yet, that doesn’t stop us from preparing our list for the possibility of playing in them.

We prepare for games weeks in advance during the H&A season (opposition analysis, preparing players for return, etc). Why wouldn’t we do it for finals? Isn’t it better to be prepared?

I think the strongest team we can hope for this year would be Howe and Treloar back for Oxley and Murray/ Mayne. Moore and Elliott are too unreliable to bring back in a final. Wouldn’t be making any other changes unless injury strikes yet again.

I think the strongest team we can hope for this year would be Howe and Treloar back for Oxley and Murray/ Mayne. Moore and Elliott are too unreliable to bring back in a final. Wouldn’t be making any other changes unless injury strikes yet again.

1zYm.gif

I think that Howe and Treloar are the keys and not playing WC. you look at the squads and WC are probably the only side that stretch our defence for height. and if you play Richmond / Sydney again than Howe will likely get Reiwolt or Franklin

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honest question but do you have eyes?

i think goldy comes in too if fit. Elliott done for year. Moore is a worry with how injury prone he is. but lets focus on beating port for now

There's not much to be done really. We play the best available each week, trying to get those selected into the best form possible for the finals. We are in no position to get cute with selections. Realistically, Treloar and Howe are the likely replacements, but further injuries are possible, so there may be little choice if we can bring them back in. Goldsack is an outside chance I suppose. With the players down, i think that we are really looking to give experience to those players we still have for next year. You still go 100% for the win if we get there though, so no "blooding" selections.

Honest answer, no, I am a cyborg sent from the future to assist the CFC football department with selection for the upcoming finals series.

Who would you drop for Treloar?

Murray clearly.
Next in line would be Phillips for mine. Been very ordinary since the bye.

Mayne offers significant forward line pressure. Significant!!
No way he's getting dropped.

Murray clearly.
Next in line would be Phillips for mine. Been very ordinary since the bye.

Mayne offers significant forward line pressure. Significant!!
No way he's getting dropped.
You're thinking of Varcoe

Back