News Pres standing down end 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Was the timeframe clear?

He became president in 2014; at that point in time we were expecting regular finals performances and on field success. We had literally just sacked a coach who went 11-11 for underperforming. Not once in MLG tenure did we even sniff that winning record.

The 2014 recruiting debacle - which was an utter train wreck even in the moment - happened under his watch.

The collapse of the club on-field happened under his watch in 2015.

We were then promised a ‘66-game rebuild’. That was now 6 years ago and we’re a Cripps/McKay free agency disaster away from essentially starting from scratch this offseason. That all happened under his watch.

The repeated butchering of injured players... Docherty, Curnow, Marchbank, etc - all under his watch.

The timeframes were clear enough: and the deadlines completely missed. From an on-field perspective, the last 6 years have been an utter disaster
I am not sure i would refer to the last 6 years as an utter disaster but i think even the most optimistic would concede progress of the great rebuild has not been what we hoped. I think at the end of the year we will be in the position to declare whether it worked or not.

I am not sure i would refer to the last 6 years as an utter disaster but i think even the most optimistic would concede progress of the great rebuild has not been what we hoped. I think at the end of the year we will be in the position to declare whether it worked or not.

Maybe. I’d probably add to my previous post though that since the ‘66 game rebuild’ ended there’s been almost an increasing desperation in recruitment as we have sought to paper over the lack of progress.

Big Money contracts handed to McGovern, Martin, Williams and Saad in the past 3 offseasons. None of those players has ever been All-Australian and none are too 50 players in the comp. All except Saad with injury histories and struggling too stay on the park (and Saad cost a top 10 draft pick too).

That had to have required board approval; and it is a potential car crash in waiting if the money and on-field potential isn’t there to retain Cripps and McKay. Same goes for the addition of a 32 year-old Eddie Betts, etc.

I’d love a win or two to ease those nagging doubts but the timing of this departure is smelly imo. Lose to Essendon and there’s a storm-a-comin...

Was the timeframe clear?

He became president in 2014; at that point in time we were expecting regular finals performances and on field success. We had literally just sacked a coach who went 11-11 for underperforming. Not once in MLG tenure did we even sniff that winning record.

The 2014 recruiting debacle - which was an utter train wreck even in the moment - happened under his watch.

The collapse of the club on-field happened under his watch in 2015.

We were then promised a ‘66-game rebuild’. That was now 6 years ago and we’re a Cripps/McKay free agency disaster away from essentially starting from scratch this offseason. That all happened under his watch.

The repeated butchering of injured players... Docherty, Curnow, Marchbank, etc - all under his watch.

The timeframes were clear enough: and the deadlines completely missed. From an on-field perspective, the last 6 years have been an utter disaster

And this is exactly what I mean

MLG was the first president to be brave enough to call a rebuild, no other president had the courage

66 games was the timeframe to bring in that young core, to come through as one

NOWHERE did the club state during that period or the next 3 year phase ( this being the last year of the 2nd phase) that we would win a flag

Most of our injuries under AR have been of a contact nature. He got Harry, Dic back on the park

It's only your expectations that the last 6 years should have brought success, as every other reasonable person, it would be our most painful period, to ensure our rise wasn't another false dawn or yoyo environment

Longterm investments have the greatest rewards, if you have any patience

Maybe. I’d probably add to my previous post though that since the ‘66 game rebuild’ ended there’s been almost an increasing desperation in recruitment as we have sought to paper over the lack of progress.

Big Money contracts handed to McGovern, Martin, Williams and Saad in the past 3 offseasons. None of those players has ever been All-Australian and none are too 50 players in the comp. All except Saad with injury histories and struggling too stay on the park (and Saad cost a top 10 draft pick too).

That had to have required board approval; and it is a potential car crash in waiting if the money and on-field potential isn’t there to retain Cripps and McKay. Same goes for the addition of a 32 year-old Eddie Betts, etc.

I’d love a win or two to ease those nagging doubts but the timing of this departure is smelly imo. Lose to Essendon and there’s a storm-a-comin...
I think this game is really important and we lose to Essendon by a similar margin as St Kilda there is going to be changes at the club.

I was listening to BlueAbroad 's podcast this week and he mentioned there is a part of him dreading what will happen if we lose this week. I have a similar feeling.

MLG was the first president to be brave enough to call a rebuild, no other president had the courage

NOWHERE did the club state during that period or the next 3 year phase ( this being the last year of the 2nd phase) that we would win a flag

Most of our injuries under AR have been of a contact nature. He got Harry, Dic back on the park

It's only your expectations that the last 6 years should have brought success, as every other reasonable person, it would be our most painful period, to ensure our rise wasn't another false dawn or yoyo environment

I don’t buy this premise at all. What were we doing from 2004-2007 if not rebuilding, with a reasonably similar (and better executed strategy): stockpiling top end draft picks and filling KP and midfield roles, then adding mature talent around them. Almost identical approach, almost identical timeframe, etc.

I’ve been arguing our rebuild would take longer than 3 years since the start, but that definitely wasn’t the board or the message understood by fans then. I was one of the few on here arguing it was a 5 year timeline.

And if that was always the timeline, why sack Bolton in year 4; after he handed the car keys to the young kids and ended up with a losing record?

I always expected 5 tough years. It’s the lack of progress and on-field hope in year 6 that is the issue. again, if Cripps and McKay leave (and god forbid it turns out we don’t have the cap space for them...) can we even say we are ahead of where we were in 2015?

Like blaming your financial advisor when your investments don't mature within your expectations, even though the timeframe was clear to any reasonable investor
This post makes little sense

Unless you actually think our club should be going whole 8 year periods without playing finals

Which perhaps given your posting style, you do.

I don’t buy this premise at all. What were we doing from 2004-2007 if not rebuilding, with a reasonably similar (and better executed strategy): stockpiling top end draft picks and filling KP and midfield roles, then adding mature talent around them. Almost identical approach, almost identical timeframe, etc.

I’ve been arguing our rebuild would take longer than 3 years since the start, but that definitely wasn’t the board or the message understood by fans then. I was one of the few on here arguing it was a 5 year timeline.

And if that was always the timeline, why sack Bolton in year 4; after he handed the car keys to the young kids and ended up with a losing record?

I always expected 5 tough years. It’s the lack of progress and on-field hope in year 6 that is the issue. again, if Cripps and McKay leave (and god forbid it turns out we don’t have the cap space for them...) can we even say we are ahead of where we were in 2015?

Will stop you right at the start, MLG wasn't around in 2004 to 07, but what we did was a quick fix strategy, which is always destined to fail, it wasn't a rebuild strategy

Dogs sacked McCarthy, Lions Leppa, half way through their rebuilds. Bolton was way too defensive, but I also stated, careful what you wish for.

Good that you expected it to be at least 5 years, as the likes of the lions didn't make finals until the 6th year and Saints 7th year

We are 6 games in, lost to 3 top 4 sides and another finalist from last year that had zero injuries when we played them

Despite the predictions after round 2, the season is far from over

This post makes little sense

Unless you actually think our club should be going whole 8 year periods without playing finals

Which perhaps given your posting style, you do.

My posting style/predictions has been realistic about our progress, unlike the pessimistic views of bottom 6 last year or top 4 of this year

What did you actually expect would happen over the previous 5 years of our rebuild?

I found the whole new Collingwood president thing interesting when they just put someone in the role without a vote etc.....this must happen at all clubs as we have just put someone else in to take over and therefore not challenge anything the current president overseas ...

I'm not saying this new guy is s**t, ive never heard of him. Just interesting the fact a vote isn't needed. You can see why there are people who want to overthrow a football board.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk

Unegotistical exit from a President who did a whole lot of heavy lifting, and left a much better Club for his successor.

Very much like Ian Dicker at Hawthorn, who did all the heavy lifting of ressurecting the HFC and left unegotistically for others to further improve and capatilise.

The end of 2015 decision to completely rebuild the CLUB should never be under appreciated. We were rotting away.

I think this game is really important and we lose to Essendon by a similar margin as St Kilda there is going to be changes at the club.

I was listening to BlueAbroad 's podcast this week and he mentioned there is a part of him dreading what will happen if we lose this week. I have a similar feeling.

Gulp...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on the financial health and improved infrastructure of the club, MLG should receive great credit.

But let’s be frank, the CFC is a sporting club, and the only statistic that matters is wins and losses, nothing else.

On that score, he has failed dismally. He was either apart of the board or president in the hiring and firing of Ratten, the hiring and firing of Malthouse, the hiring and firing of Bolton, and the hiring and impending firing of Teague.

Not to mention there was the firing of Greg Swann, hiring and firing of Stephen Trigg, and the hiring of Cain Liddle. Other names to be appointed and removed during this period include Silvagni and McKay.

Credit for what rebuild?? Sydney rebuilds overnight and Carlton is in no mans land.

Carlton has lost respect, aren’t feared in the slightest. The club is at its lowest ebb in over 50 years.

it feels like too many in here are scared to acknowledge the club is not going anywhere and will need another reset.

Allowing Teague to be appointed coach without a senior assistant was a joke, and the hiring of Worsfold based in WA is just bizarre.

Carlton used to be about winning, now it’s people getting excited over Tom Williamson promising to be a gun for years but never delivering.

A new board with a new attitude is required. Wins and losses - the only thing that matters...

Thanks Mark, a job well done.

You have left the club in a much better place than when you arrived. Success will follow for the Blues and it will be in the not too distant future.

To those who have a negative impression of MLG’s efforts, show me the last premiership side that was a rabble off field? The Blues were a rabble off field - this is now fixed. There are clearly more efforts and steps needed to deliver success however, without his efforts we would still be deep in the mire.

MLG made courageous decisions, including in relation to Sir Doug Nicholls family, AFLW, redevelopment of Princes Park, diversity, rebuild of the men’s team & finances.

The timeline to success may not have been what was hoped for, however, without his leadership & courage we would be nowhere with no hope.

Gotta spend the salary cap. Who were the other candidates? We still have room in the cap. We have a full list. What's the issue?

Please desist from justifying a successful rebuild the day the president who starts it exits the club after the original coach, general manager, ceo and recruiting manager have departed. If Teague is replaced and we make finals 8 or 9 seasons after the rebuild's commencement, please do not start claiming you were right all along, legitimised by hyperextended time frames

The changes at the club were inevitable after Port
- Most assistants gone.
- Lloyd on the slippery slope
- Teague will not last longer than end 2022 without significant improvement. ( Just not sure Sayers, as a consultant, is a forethright decision maker)

How about we go with best candidate? Regardless of dangly bits.
how much understanding of non-male candidates getting to the starting line in order to be considered, do you have? the "best candidate" myth is mostly just that

Don't want a coach with training wheels comment... was that his view or overall...
I think he just got caught up in the moment on that one and provided an off the cuff comment that wasn't thought out.
I'm sure they had discussions like that behind closed doors, but define a coach with training wheels?
Is it a coach with zero coaching experience? Zero head coaching experience? A certain amount of years in the AFL system? No AFL playing history? Not highly regarded?
It's such a vague comment, but the media got their soundbite and it backed us into a corner where, if we had have got Teague some senior support in way of a more experienced assistant, or a mentor, we'd look like we were tightening up the training wheels... and now we're here.

The changes at the club were inevitable after Port
- Most assistants gone.
- Lloyd on the slippery slope
- Teague will not last longer than end 2022 without significant improvement. ( Just not sure Sayers, as a consultant, is a forethright decision maker)

Management consultants not prepared to sack people? really?

Credit for what rebuild?? Sydney rebuilds overnight and Carlton is in no mans land.

Carlton has lost respect, aren’t feared in the slightest. The club is at its lowest ebb in over 50 years.
There's different factors at play here. Sydney haven't really done a full ground up rebuild like we did. They haven't come from as far back, and it's not clear yet that it's actually been successful. They have had access to highly rated academy players on the cheap and have had a much clearer and more successful development pathway/programme. Ours should now be back on track with Luke Power and a stand alone VFL team, but it will unfortunately take a little time to see those fruits.

Who has Carlton lost respect with?
The media? They're nothing more than click-bait journalists these days. There's not much thought or analysis put into their work.
Opposition supporters? Who honestly cares about that one? We could win the next 10 in a row and they would still be talking about brown paper bags and wooden spoons.
Our own supporters? They're as fickle as any other team's. Jump on and off the bandwagon at will. Bag when we lose, quiet when we win.

The fact he started the proper rebuild took guts and I'm glad he did it. However we are at the same place as we were in 2012. Too many players not playing defence when we don't have the ball, too many basic skill errors. He couldn't instil a winning culture but maybe that's not his job. And forcing SOS out was a terrible move.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back