out of harmes' way

Team Captain
Mar 27, 2007
caulfield south
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Derby County / NY JETS
"In addition to these tasks, I will continue to ensure our coaches and our entire Football Department have all the support needed to improve our on-field performance."
When I see it, I'll believe it!!!!!!

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
Well done to Mark on a fantastic presidency.

Had his doubters (and I didn't particularly like some of the conduct early on) but we're flying off-field and he leaves the club in a much better place than he was when he started.

And that's all he can be judged on.

And lastly a huge thank you to Mark in particular for having the balls to start and oversee the rebuild. It won't result in on-field success during his tenure, but it was necessary and I believe it will be fruitful.
He doesn't get judged on-field? At all?

Highest finish of his current 8 year tenure: 11th

Perhaps just my $0.02, but I'd have to say football performance should be considered a KPI of a President's Tenure. And on that alone, he's the worst in our history

I think MLG was probably ready to go anyway, but there is a degree of pressure around the club as far as on field performance, selection of coach, the whole SOS exit and so forth. I think he may have fallen on his sword to relieve the pressure on everyone else as supporters and back room dealers look for the pressure valve to effect more change.

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton

Perhaps just my $0.02, but I'd have to say football performance should be considered a KPI of a President's Tenure. And on that alone, he's the worst in our history

Who let John Elliot have a BF account??

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns

Didn't Sticks hand over the team to him at the end of 2014 that would go on to win a wooden spoon in 2015 and yet have salary cap issues? There are no quick solutions to fix that not to mention that the Captains career ended prematurely with an ACL that year as well.

cookie monster

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
NY Giants
MMM rumours that Judd and Jeanne Pratt could be leaving as well by the end of the year.

Perhaps Judd is falling on sword over Footy Dept not hitting their KPI's in terms of success.
This is better news than the President's departure
Judd in particular so far out of his depth it's not funny. Notwithstanding without doubt the most important board position to our football club

MMM rumours that Judd and Jeanne Pratt could be leaving as well by the end of the year.

Perhaps Judd is falling on sword over Footy Dept not hitting their KPI's in terms of success.
I have thought Judd seems to fly under the radar given how we have performed on-field, off-field the club seems to have picked up its game and really turned it around.

Gavstar

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Lakers, Longhorns
This is better news than the President's departure
Judd in particular so far out of his depth it's not funny. Notwithstanding without doubt the most important board position to our football club

I think it will mean that Teague will survive the year no matter what unless MLG/Judd want to be the fall guys on the way out the door?

Happy to end the Pratt experiment on the board. I don't think we are beholden to their money anymore. Would like to get the Mathieson money out asap too.

As for footy director, I think we have to get a former player in again but can't think of anybody contemporary enough to work with the football department, who also has business nous. Others would be better served to judge this one. Someone the fans can relate to would be nice as well.

I have thought Judd seems to fly under the radar given how we have performed on-field, off-field the club seems to have picked up its game and really turned it around.

Was Judd outvoted on the coaching situation though?

btdg

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton

I agree completely. He’s left us floundering in constant mediocrity and without a really clear vision or path forward infield. A ‘66 game rebuild’ that is now into year 6 and where we still probably need to clear the decks and have a mini-reset this off-season? Ghastly.

I guess we can hang out hat on a quite well-performing Twitter account and an inflated membership tally though?

sweetchoif

Senior List
Jul 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep- a super impressive individual. Former CEO of PWC Australia. I think he’ll be outstanding in the role

Luke Sayers is the type of individual that is likely to transform Carlton into a powerhouse of the AFL. He's driven, understands how to transform businesses and establish a hard nosed winning attitude.

Michael Jezz

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2007
collingwood
AFL Club
Carlton
MLG left the club in a better state than when he took over
I tip my hat to a leader who knows when his time is up (he could have asked for an extension).
Good luck Luke - Please do not run the club like an accountancy or consultancy firm & ensure you surround yourself with maverick football people

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Record Memberships :whitecheck:
Fed & State Govt funding for the redevelopment of Princes Park :whitecheck:
Debt free :whitecheck:
Sponsorships :whitecheck:
Inaugural AFLW licence :whitecheck:
Reserves are back :whitecheck:

Never got the credit he deserved and has set up the Club for long term success.

It's a shame it hasn’t translated on the field (yet).

Thank you Mark and wishing him all the best.

I dont know , was he ?

Again, we come back to those 'training wheels' comments and what he meant by it. I gave him the benefit of the doubt but if he was an advocate for a coach that had done it before after the training wheels of Bolton, and was outvoted, then maybe he can forgiven for aspects of our stagnation.

Record Memberships :whitecheck:
Fed & State Govt funding for the redevelopment of Princes Park :whitecheck:
Debt free :whitecheck:
Sponsorships :whitecheck:
Inaugural AFLW licence :whitecheck:
Reserves are back :whitecheck:

Never got the credit he deserved and has set up the Club for long term success.

It's a shame it hasn’t translated on the field (yet).

Thank you Mark and wishing him all the best.

Not to mention our community efforts, especially with the Carlton Respects initiative.

Oct 15, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool, OKC Thunder
Happy to end the Pratt experiment on the board. I don't think we are beholden to their money anymore. Would like to get the Mathieson money out asap too.

As for footy director, I think we have to get a former player in again but can't think of anybody contemporary enough to work with the football department, who also has business nous. Others would be better served to judge this one. Someone the fans can relate to would be nice as well.
Quoted just ‘cos it’s a cracker, agree with every part

We are debt free people, no one has rights to feel like they own us anymore

It’s for this very reason that MLG has largely played a blinder, with the help of the bloke he bought in to oversee the membership dept...

Back