Training Preseason 15/16 - TTHD

Remove this Banner Ad

West Coast ‘Mr Fix It’ Elliot Yeo was a standout in the drill, slotting shot-after-shot from multiple distances and crazy subtle angles.
Interesting that they've commented on Yeo nailing goals twice now on their website.

I really think Yeo's best as a high half forward. He makes things happen in the forward line, he's dominant over head and he can push up to provide an outlet in the midfield.

Some facts about Shuey from 2015. His partnership receiving hit-outs at centre clearances from Natanui was #1 in the league. He was one of only six midfielders to average 20+ disposals and 1 goal per game. He was above average for contested and uncontested possessions.

I agree he isn't quite at the same level as the absolute best midfielders in the league but he was still rated Elite (by Champion Data) and he has the capacity and capability to improve even further. But even if he doesn't, he still has a big impact on our capability in the middle. Looking forward to seeing the Natanui-Priddis-Shuey-Redden combination this weekend.

Champion Data didn't rate the current Coleman Medallist as elite in his position though, so I'm not that inclined to put too much stock in their stats. Shuey gets made to look very good by Natanui dropping taps in his lap, when in space more than any of our other midfielders, so that wouldn't be hurting Shueys statistics either.

Yes but he isnt far of the guys you mentioned. At his best he is as influential/dangerous as pendles, hodge and dangerfield. His problem has been consistently, which he is still working on. guys like pendlebury, mitchell and most other elite mids these days average 25+ disposals a game. Shuey in the last few seasons been hovering around 24-23 disposals a game and just shy of the top mids of the comp. Shuey is but like dangerfield in the sense that he doesnt need to much of the footy to hurt the opposition . This will be controversial but a shuey 25 touches is more damaging than mitchell, priddis, jk and a few other top line mids and once he starts getting get into the high 20's more often, he will be considered elite.

Yeah we're gonna have to agree to disagree there. I agree he's one of the best we have in the midfield at the moment, but we have a pretty average midfield compared to the types of players we have had at this club over the years. What we do have currently is a ruckman who makes our mids look very good with his sublime tap work and handballs into space. I really hope Shuey does find the consistency & intestinal fortitude required to take to elite because we should go very close to a premiership if he does with the spine we have at the moment.

Those are reasons why he isn't already elite. He was one of the best players in a grand finalist team last year. That must count for something.

Not really, you can still be one of the best in a grand final team and not be elite if its a team that plays well as a team, but doesn't necessarily rely on one person. Our team is a little like that, but if we do rely on anyone in particular, it's Naitanui who makes our mids look good.

Interesting that they've commented on Yeo nailing goals twice now on their website.

I really think Yeo's best as a high half forward. He makes things happen in the forward line, he's dominant over head and he can push up to provide an outlet in the midfield.
As opposed to an inside mid/clearance player, I agree. Would be great if he could develop his inside game but I think for now you're spot on.

Started getting a little concerned seeing Champion Data rate our midfield as the 6th best and then realised yeah, we do need Sheed, Duggan and Hutchings to build strongly, Yeo to find his best role, and the rest excluding Priddis and Gaff (so Shuey, Jetta etc.) to become consistently good before we could expect to see our formerly "rotten" midfield from being considered among the best in the league.

Edit: Redden could be a key to our whole season. If he cements a spot and relieves the pressure on Priddis, I could see Hutchings being left out/depth...ie. I can see Priddis and Redden in the same team but not Priddis and Hutchings.

Last edited:

A more agressive version of brett heady is where i see his best being. He's great in the contest but not in stoppages.

but we have a pretty average midfield compared to the types of players we have had at this club over the years.

Sure, but if the benchmark for a great midfield is Cox,Judd,Cousins,Kerr then every team in the AFL right now has an average midfield.

I'd say last season our midfield was top 4 in the league and we've only improved it over the off-season(on paper atleast). Our boys just shat the bed on Grand Final day.. which is a shame, but it doesn't wipe away all the good work they did in most games leading up to the GF.

Sure, but if the benchmark for a great midfield is Cox,Judd,Cousins,Kerr then every team in the AFL right now has an average midfield.

I'd say last season our midfield was top 4 in the league and we've only improved it over the off-season(on paper atleast). Our boys just shat the bed on Grand Final day.. which is a shame, but it doesn't wipe away all the good work they did in most games leading up to the GF.
200.gif

Have to disagree with this, our midfield would have been lucky to be even top 10 last year. Nic nat, our backs and forwards were what made us so good last year.

Have to disagree with this, our midfield would have been lucky to be even top 10 last year. Nic nat, our backs and forwards were what made us so good last year.
You gotta laugh at opp supporters constantly writing off NN as a decent player... no surprises we did well last year after his first full preseason!

Just saw some photos of emac, he looks like a stick these days. I know a lot of bigger blokes are shedding the weight due to the cap rotations but as lockdown defender you need to be pretty strong (especially in the lower body). It good that we got a good defensive set up going on but emac looks like if he was caught in a 1v1 tussle with a hawkins, dixon or tippet, he would lose.

Just saw some photos of emac, he looks like a stick these days. I know a lot of bigger blokes are shedding the weight due to the cap rotations but as lockdown defender you need to be pretty strong (especially in the lower body). It good that we got a good defensive set up going on but emac looks like if he was caught in a 1v1 tussle with a hawkins, dixon or tippet, he would lose.
You can maintain strength whilst slimming down being bulky doesn't mean you are automatically strong. Darren Glass was by no means a monster but held his own in most one on one contests.

You can maintain strength whilst slimming down being bulky doesn't mean you are automatically strong. Darren Glass was by no means a monster but held his own in most one on one contests.
Yeah i know, Mackenzie was never a bulky player tho. He has always been lean. But it seems like he has lost even more weight. Its ok if he trimmed a bit from his upper body but he has lost alot of weight from his lower half aswell, which is essential for tall players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i know, Mackenzie was never a bulky player tho. He has always been lean. But it seems like he has lost even more weight. Its ok if he trimmed a bit from his upper body but he has lost alot of weight from his lower half aswell, which is essential for tall players.
The weight loss would be for two things; the cap on rotations and to reduce load on his knee.
It's obviously very deliberate, I would suggest he will lose next to no strength, this would have been very deliberately orchestrated by the strength and conditioning/medical staff.

The weight loss would be for two things; the cap on rotations and to reduce load on his knee.
It's obviously very deliberate, I would suggest he will lose next to no strength, this would have been very deliberately orchestrated by the strength and conditioning/medical staff.
Yeah, its its the knee he should gain some of that muscle back in 12 months time. Anyway schofield has shown he is more than capable of taking the big boys on, so some the pressure will be taken off him.

Maybe a forward midfielder like a dusty martin/dane swan. He seems to be very much a burst player and we can just chuck him in the midfield time to time or when we need to swing the game our way. However, he has only played a handful of games in the middle and over time he might become a bonfied mid. Tho with the midfield depth we have at the moment he will add some flare to our fowardline.

Yep, it's his trademark ... tongue sticking out. One day, he will bite it off if it keeps flopping about the place.
I think he is part lizard. Not only does he use eyes and ears on the field, he tastes the air as an extra navigational aid, picking up the heat signatures and pheremones of other players, especially in close.

I don't think the reduction in rotations would have affected EMac much at all - he is hardly ever off the ground.
Remember when woosha rested glass in the last quarter against the pies in the 07 semi. Rocca who had been putrid got off the leash and got them up to draw level. Still burns.

Remember when woosha rested glass in the last quarter against the pies in the 07 semi. Rocca who had been putrid got off the leash and got them up to draw level. Still burns.

Woosha did some very strange things near the end of his tenure that leaved us all scratching our heads.

That hurts Mick. A glaring error by Woosh...thought at the time it was one of those gameday rules by the coach that is to be strictly adhered to, rather than adapting to the situation. It wasn't like Rocca had run Glass into the ground, hence no reason for Glass to have a rest. My only consolation is the potential to have been Geelong's bitches in a final, as Port were in the GF, if we had won. Anyway, back to TTHD...Subway appears to be the clear winner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back