Training Preseason 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone we got good that's out of contract at the end of the season? Wouldn't mind someone signing on for another year or 2.

The vibe i'm getting is that there won't be any early contract extensions handed out, and the club is sticking to the fact that the whole playing group is on notice, or maybe that's just my hope. Here is a pie chart of the contracts for the Port Group.
upload_2017-1-17_13-38-34.png
This was taken from Footywire and adjusted a little bit. The dark blue 0 group is unknown (Toumpas, Snelling, Houston, Hewett), I am fairly certain all of these players will have contracts expiring in 2017 (Perhaps Jimmy haggled for a 3 year contract but I think it is unlikely). All in all this means that we have probably 25 players coming out of contract at the end of 2017. They are:

Unrestricted Free Agent:
Justin Westhoff

Restricted Free Agent:
Jasper Pittard
Jackson Trengove

Non-Free Agents:
Aaron Young
Brad Ebert
Brendon Ah Chee
Angus Monfries
Jack Hombsch
Tom Clurey
Karl Amon
Matthew White
Sam Gray
Dougal Howard
Billy Frampton
Nathan Krakouer
Aidyn Johnson
Riley Bonner
Jesse Palmer
Cameron Hewett
Dan Houston
Will Snelling
Brett Eddy
Jarrod Lienert
Peter Ladhams
Jimmy Toumpas

It's highly unlikely Westhoff, Pittard or Trengove will re-sign in the preseason, it's just the way this works.

Of the non free-agent group I would say the only one who I would see happy to get a contract extension would be Ebert and Hombsch. I think everyone else is either outside of our best 22 and will need to work hard for a list spot, hasn't had a spot in the best 22 consistently and needs to grab it with both hands, or may break down due to age/injury history.

Edit: I would be happy to see Dougal Howard given a contract extension however, even if that breaks the rules.

The vibe i'm getting is that there won't be any early contract extensions handed out, and the club is sticking to the fact that the whole playing group is on notice, or maybe that's just my hope. Here is a pie chart of the contracts for the Port Group.
View attachment 327989
This was taken from Footywire and adjusted a little bit. The dark blue 0 group is unknown (Toumpas, Snelling, Houston, Hewett), I am fairly certain all of these players will have contracts expiring in 2017 (Perhaps Jimmy haggled for a 3 year contract but I think it is unlikely). All in all this means that we have probably 25 players coming out of contract at the end of 2017. They are:

Unrestricted Free Agent:
Justin Westhoff

Restricted Free Agent:
Jasper Pittard
Jackson Trengove

Non-Free Agents:
Aaron Young
Brad Ebert
Brendon Ah Chee
Angus Monfries
Jack Hombsch
Tom Clurey
Karl Amon
Matthew White
Sam Gray
Dougal Howard
Billy Frampton
Nathan Krakouer
Aidyn Johnson
Riley Bonner
Jesse Palmer
Cameron Hewett
Dan Houston
Will Snelling
Brett Eddy
Jarrod Lienert
Peter Ladhams
Jimmy Toumpas

It's highly unlikely Westhoff, Pittard or Trengove will re-sign in the preseason, it's just the way this works.

Of the non free-agent group I would say the only one who I would see happy to get a contract extension would be Ebert and Hombsch. I think everyone else is either outside of our best 22 and will need to work hard for a list spot, hasn't had a spot in the best 22 consistently and needs to grab it with both hands, or may break down due to age/injury history.

Edit: I would be happy to see Dougal Howard given a contract extension however, even if that breaks the rules.
I'd give Clurey another year too. I reckon a few other clubs would be interesting in him and it'd suck to lose him for little/nothing.

I'd give Clurey another year too. I reckon a few other clubs would be interesting in him and it'd suck to lose him for little/nothing.

Yeah I really like Clurey, I'd be interested to see if he would want to re-sign at this stage given he wouldn't be offered much compared to a regular best 22 player, which is a bit of a shame but the nature of the game. I'd hope he'd take the risk and play for a better contract later in the season. We got him for pick 29 and put in 4 years development, I'd hazard a guess that we wouldn't break even if we traded him after only playing him for another 9 games in 2017.

Last edited:

Agree but would add Aaron Young as a player we should look at contracting ASAP.

Aaron Young is probably a great indication of our intentions for our players. I feel if he has another season like 2016 he could actually be in a scenario where he is worth more to other clubs than to Port, which is a great scenario to be in. It would probably be a pretty divisive move to put Young up for trade, but I would understand it.

Aaron Young is just coming off of a year out of the box. His contract value would be at an all time high, but at this stage we have no idea whether or not he can back it up. He's the last guy we should be re-contracting before the season starts. If he's held his spot and kicked 20-ish goals by the halfway mark of the season, sign him up then.

Clurey is a gun and will be a solid chb/fb for the next 10 years. Howard looks the goods. Along with jasper, we must hold on to these guys

Clurey is a gun and will be a solid chb/fb for the next 10 years. Howard looks the goods. Along with jasper, we must hold on to these guys

Clurey has shown good signs, but he is a little undersized. So he will always have to work a bit harder against the taller guys.
Howard is a long way off still. has definitely shown some signs, but still very raw.
Pittard is pittard, lets hope his uphill trajectory continues this year.

Clurey has shown good signs, but he is a little undersized. So he will always have to work a bit harder against the taller guys.
Howard is a long way off still. has definitely shown some signs, but still very raw.
Clurey is 193cm. .... The supposed BEST defender in the AFL is Alex Rance, 194cm

Small is what you make it!

Last edited:
https://goo.gl/LKULuR
FOUR-TIME premiership player Jordan Lewis has wasted little time making his mark at Melbourne.... "He's already had a huge impact," McDonald told radio station SEN on Wednesday. "We've already got a couple training drills named after him, the Lewis kick drill. He's already teaching our guys how to kick better."

Our boys had better be kicking their asses off in training drills!!!

https://goo.gl/LKULuR
FOUR-TIME premiership player Jordan Lewis has wasted little time making his mark at Melbourne.... "He's already had a huge impact," McDonald told radio station SEN on Wednesday. "We've already got a couple training drills named after him, the Lewis kick drill. He's already teaching our guys how to kick better."

Our boys had better be kicking their asses off in training drills!!!
One tactic that Hawthorn do incredibly well and I'm sure is a trained skill, is they all break and run flat out with the ball carrier running at full speed then pulling the kick and dropping it short on an angle. It does really seem to confuse opposition who normally react to the flat out running by legging it back to their defensive zones. It makes the movement of the ball really difficult to read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Jordan Lewis Center For AFL Players Who Can't Kick Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too
My bold.
Sam Mitchell to teach WCE's players how to 'uncontrollably' lift knee into oppo player's thighs. As for Lewis I can't remember what
his extra curricular specialities were from the Clarkson schooling in the dark arts of AFL footy. Next it'll be Hodge to spread 'hard':rolleyes:
footy nous far and wide to a new generation of wannabe's who may not be quick but can be effective as 'good blokes' who
habitually act 'totally out of character' on and off the field.

Would you be happy to lose any of them? I wouldn't

I'm 93 and I can kick with both feet (only 20 metres though :D) and take speccies over my 19 year old son.

But I'm s*** at typing.

And I love peppermint flavoured Magnum ice creams :p
Im you only 40.

Clurey is 193cm. .... The supposed BEST defender in the AFL is Alex Rance, 194cm

Small is what you make it!
Clurey is tall enough, but more importanly he can run all day and doesnt usually get done for speed on the lead, from what ive seen so far his best position is fullback as a genuine stopper, he has done good jobs on Franklin and riewoldt who are the running type of big forward but i havnt really seen how he goes in the one-on-one marking under a high ball. From what i have seen at training he has added some muscle to his frame this year and looks the goods.

I have actually been thinking about whether Clurey was best suited to FB or CHB (or 3rd tall).

If he is to become our next long-term FB, who (apart from Trengive) can be our CHB?

Austin is probably better suited as FB as well?

I have actually been thinking about whether Clurey was best suited to FB or CHB (or 3rd tall).

If he is to become our next long-term FB, who (apart from Trengive) can be our CHB?

Austin is probably better suited as FB as well?
Those traditional roles don't really exist anymore. These days it is who is the defender who'll take the main key forward, who'll take the tallest forward and what versatility do you get from your other key backs.

For mine Hombsch is #1 option for manning up on the oppositions best tall forward, Clurey probably #2, Jonas #3, Trengove #4 & Austin #5
For taking the 200cm/resting ruck tall fwd options Trengove #1, Austin #2, Hombsch #3, Clurey #5, Jonas #5.

The tricky part is the 3rd tall, because Trengove is a part time ruck, instead of the 3rd tall defender being a versatile player, they need to be able to take the bigger forwards. So for mine the 3rd tall should be #1 Clurey, #2 Austin & #3 Jonas. However if we're playing a smaller side and the 2nd tall key defender isn't as critical then Jonas is probably the number one choice followed by Clurey and Austin.

So for mine our #1 defence is
CHB: Rebounding Small, Hombsch, Rebounding Small
FB: Lockdown Small, Clurey, Trengove

Bench: 1 Rebounding Small or Jonas
I'd prefer to go the rebounding small as our small defence in the last half of last year highlighted how much better we were defensively when we weren't running a 4 tall defense like we did early in the year.

Clurey is tall enough, but more importanly he can run all day and doesnt usually get done for speed on the lead, from what ive seen so far his best position is fullback as a genuine stopper, he has done good jobs on Franklin and riewoldt who are the running type of big forward but i havnt really seen how he goes in the one-on-one marking under a high ball. From what i have seen at training he has added some muscle to his frame this year and looks the goods.
If our defenders get caught 1 on 1 our mids and our full team defensive structure isn't doing its job.

Clurey can handle the likes of a Buddy and Riewoldt but would struggle immensely against a Kennedy (WCE) or Tom Hawkins. We really don't have a monster back and I think we either need to look into getting one (like a Jake Carslile) or get Cluzza into the weights room everyday and on a strict Steak for breakky, lunch, dinner meal plan to turn him into that monster.

Or Clurey can be our dedicated running forward opposition, whereas Austin can be blooded and trained and meal prepped into an absolute man beast and take the Tom Hawkins and Josh Kennedy's of the league. He undoubtedly would need to put on another 20 kilograms (predominantly of muscle) at least though.

Those traditional roles don't really exist anymore. These days it is who is the defender who'll take the main key forward, who'll take the tallest forward and what versatility do you get from your other key backs.

For mine Hombsch is #1 option for manning up on the oppositions best tall forward, Clurey probably #2, Jonas #3, Trengove #4 & Austin #5
For taking the 200cm/resting ruck tall fwd options Trengove #1, Austin #2, Hombsch #3, Clurey #5, Jonas #5.

The tricky part is the 3rd tall, because Trengove is a part time ruck, instead of the 3rd tall defender being a versatile player, they need to be able to take the bigger forwards. So for mine the 3rd tall should be #1 Clurey, #2 Austin & #3 Jonas. However if we're playing a smaller side and the 2nd tall key defender isn't as critical then Jonas is probably the number one choice followed by Clurey and Austin.

So for mine our #1 defence is
CHB: Rebounding Small, Hombsch, Rebounding Small
FB: Lockdown Small, Clurey, Trengove

Bench: 1 Rebounding Small or Jonas
I'd prefer to go the rebounding small as our small defence in the last half of last year highlighted how much better we were defensively when we weren't running a 4 tall defense like we did early in the year.

I look forward to seeing Rebounding Small, Rebounding Small and Lockdown Small playing for the PAFC. What a famous last name that will become.

I'm not even remotely sorry.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back