Training Preseason 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

From the first day he arrived at Grange Oval to begin training with the Power, Sam Powell-Pepper looked like he was meant to be there. The West Australian midfielder has a body ready-made for the rigours of the AFL. He wins the hard ball, gets in and under the packs and isn't afraid to throw his weight around when required. Key forward prospect Todd Marshall has been brought along slowly after arriving at the club with a shoulder injury. Marshall has been limited in what he can do at training, but showed during an open training session in late December that he knows when to lead, finds space, has strong hands and is a good set-shot kick for goals. Mature-aged rookie Brett Eddy – the leading goal-kicker in the SANFL last season – has been used predominately as the club's forward target in training drills with Marshall and Charlie Dixon (ankle) both limited in what they can do.

The standout: Strong performances in the JLT Community Series could see Powell-Pepper force his way into the Power's side for round one. - Lee Gaskin

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-21/draftee-and-rookie-watch

From the first day he arrived at Grange Oval to begin training with the Power, Sam Powell-Pepper looked like he was meant to be there ...
After seeing him in the open training a month or so ago the only thing that has stopped me prowling threads and talking him up is my fear of footy karma and some ridiculous injury.

Let's hope the hype re his physicality doesn't result in the lad over doing the contact stuff and thereby exposing himself to
a needless injury. Twice I saw him initiate contact that looked unnecessary. Hopefully some wise heads around the club
have a word IF it's an issue.

I think Austin will develop into the hulking defender. Clurey will continue to mind the running talls

Austin will be a taller Bob, and that aint bad, Clurey to CHB to give his running power it's greatest freedom and Hombsch to be that tall 3rd defender able to to do the roaming interceptor role.

DBJ & JMP along with Bonner to round out the defence with another option on the I/C bench.

SPP we need to taper our enthusiasm. Ollie's first year was mind blowing especially finals. But was special. Realistically we will get a few very good games, some flashes of brilliance and some very quiet games. The whole key to young talent is having the base and continually improving. And he certainly has a high quality base...

when i saw spp at training you would think he was at least 23, he's just one of those guys who are solid as a brick, hes about the height of ollie but doesnt have the puppy fat Ollie had in his first few years, you'd hate to be the guy having to tackle him or get tackled by him. My only question is his ability to find the footy as i havnt seen him live yet

when i saw spp at training you would think he was at least 23, he's just one of those guys who are solid as a brick, hes about the height of ollie but doesnt have the puppy fat Ollie had in his first few years, you'd hate to be the guy having to tackle him or get tackled by him. My only question is his ability to find the footy as i havnt seen him live yet
I get the feeling he doesn't like to lose, looking at his reaction on the Burgo Facebook clip yesterday.

For whatever reason, it does appear as though we are intentionally keeping quiet during this preseason.

Whether it's in the aftermath of the Jarman Impey media hyperbole, or an effort to move away from too much talk and not enough walk, I really like the quiet approach.

It makes preseason boring, but it sure as hell beats building ourselves up only to have our guys come out with poor performances in the preseason games and early H&A rounds.

Just hoping that they are training with intensity and focus.

Social media contributions (e.g. through Instagram) also seem much quieter than usual.
Travelling home on the train on Friday, I spoke to a guy about footy. He told me, "Port's no good mate - bottom 8 for sure." I look forward to reminding him about it at the end of the season.

I'd much rather have all and sundry writing us off: it'll be so much more satisfying when we prove people wrong.

The AFL players yet to debut — and their chances of playing in 2017 season

MOST LIKELY: No matter which club he went to, Sam Powell-Pepper was always going to be a contender to debut early in the 2017 AFL season, due to his ready-made frame and thirst for the contest. Round 1, potentially? The Power could certainly do with that hardness against the Swans at the SCG. Fellow young midfielders Willem Drew and Joe Atley also have the potential to make their debuts in 2017, but Powell-Pepper is undoubtedly the front-runner.

WAIT AND SEE: The super-talented Todd Marshall is unlikely to play this year. While the key forward already has a slim frame that needs developing, he’s also been nursing a sore shoulder over the pre-season. Injury-prone ruckman Billy Frampton and midfielder Aidyn Johnson will both just be hoping for uninterrupted seasons in the SANFL.

ROOKIES: Brett Eddy, Peter Ladhams, Jarrod Lienert, Dan Houston, Cameron Hewett, Emmanuel Irra

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/the...n/news-story/f976256f28c1c4111dc0d0386861dc1f

YAiD2bJ.png

On the subject of YouTube, did anyone see our 2017 television commercial uploaded to YouTube a couple of days ago? It appears to have been taken down or made private since, but I hadn't seen it mentioned here. Fun fact: It had 'forever' misspelled as 'ferever' in its title.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YAiD2bJ.png

On the subject of YouTube, did anyone see our 2017 television commercial uploaded to YouTube a couple of days ago? It appears to have been taken down or made private since, but I hadn't seen it mentioned here. Fun fact: It had 'forever' misspelled as 'ferever' in its title.

Snippets that caught my eye
Joe Atley #30 @ 0:07 (good side moves) and @ 0:52 (good tackle)
Peter Ladhams #38 @ 0:25 geez looks an athlete in that sprint.
Roll on family day. Has this off season been the longest or what (seems like it), but I said this last yr and the yr before and the...:(.

Snippets that caught my eye
Joe Atley #30 @ 0:07 (good side moves) and @ 0:52 (good tackle)
Peter Ladhams #38 @ 0:25 geez looks an athlete in that sprint.
Roll on family day. Has this off season been the longest or what (seems like it), but I said this last yr and the yr before and the...:(.

#38 is framptons number

Remove this Banner Ad

Back