Training Preseason 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe it's me but I find K Cornes really pedestrian and to hear him call wrinkles "Dad" on radio one Sat am a few weeks back
I thought to myself.......only in Adelaide. Didn't rate him as a player and his thoughts bore me.

The evening of the Green-Mundine fight he 'interviewed' his eight year old, asking him if he was looking forward to going to the fight.

For now at least, Ben Hart is too inexperienced on radio to try and dominate the show with too much crers s**t, but Kane makes up for that with sly little digs at Port most nights.

Jackson Trengove set to play forward for Port Adelaide in 2017
HE was a key defender-turned-ruckman but now Jackson Trengove looms as a centrepiece of Port Adelaide’s rebuilt forward line, according to teammate Charlie Dixon.
The 197cm Trengove has been training with the Power’s forwards since Christmas and No.1 attacking target Dixon says he is already “taking control’’ inside the 50m arc.“‘Jacko’ is the general, he takes control fairly well and leads the young boys really well,’’ Dixon said.
“Having him and Paddy (Ryder) roll through there is going to be really good and I just can’t wait to play more with them and learn how they play. I’m excited to see what happens this year.’’
Pay Wall
http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/afl/...7/news-story/0216c45c96ea706eb4452e7b3e683a8b

I feel like we've lacked leadership up forward recently.
Schulz - good footballer but no general.
Westhoff - lol mercurial.
Wingard - great footballer but not a leader - yet.
Dixon - passion but unproven in marshalling the troops
Monfries and White - will they even be able to take back their spots?

Hearing that jacko is taking charge makes me happy.

Jackson Trengove set to play forward for Port Adelaide in 2017
HE was a key defender-turned-ruckman but now Jackson Trengove looms as a centrepiece of Port Adelaide’s rebuilt forward line, according to teammate Charlie Dixon.
The 197cm Trengove has been training with the Power’s forwards since Christmas and No.1 attacking target Dixon says he is already “taking control’’ inside the 50m arc.“‘Jacko’ is the general, he takes control fairly well and leads the young boys really well,’’ Dixon said.
“Having him and Paddy (Ryder) roll through there is going to be really good and I just can’t wait to play more with them and learn how they play. I’m excited to see what happens this year.’’
Pay Wall
http://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/afl/...7/news-story/0216c45c96ea706eb4452e7b3e683a8b
I have no idea what Jacko will be like as a forward but given what he has shown so far in other areas I expect him to at least be serviceable and give his all.

As a general I rate him and I think that kind of leadership and direction has been severely lacking in our forward line. Headless chooks and times with talls lost on the flanks, smalls up forward by themsleves and too often noone leading up to the ball carrier.

I am excited by the difference a true general could make to our individually talented forward line.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I feel like we've lacked leadership up forward recently.
Schulz - good footballer but no general.
Westhoff - lol mercurial.
Wingard - great footballer but not a leader - yet.
Dixon - passion but unproven in marshalling the troops
Monfries and White - will they even be able to take back their spots?

Hearing that jacko is taking charge makes me happy.
According to Wingard a couple of years ago, it was definitely Schulz that he looked up to in the forward line. Yes sounds like Jacko's taking control up there now. He's a born leader by his actions.

i actually really like Trengove as a forward. I think he is set for a super year and this will turn out to be a master stroke.

It will be a great move for our forwards, and also for our backs. It frees up the CHB spot for Clurey to take it and make it his own. Likewise with Austin and the FB position. This leaves the 3rd tall back position to Hombsch which has a bit more freedom to it allowing him to be that intercept marking player which we have traditionally employed to great success.

The three smaller backs to be Pittard & Hammer on the flanks, DBJ to take the small forward on, Bonner, Jonas & Broadbent as depth, Lienert, Hewett & Irra as additional cover. One of the depth has to be on the I/C bench, Bonner is my preference with Krakouer maybe on the I/C bench as relief for the forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Trengove will adapt to playing as a forward and expect him to play high up the ground - ie CHF, leaving space behind him.
i think he will be where charlie isnt, so if dixon is getting double teamed then the plan is to kick to Trengove, pretty simple and should work if they are working together

Trengove strikes me as having a lot of self belief. Charlie almost the opposite, he's often said he under-estimated the
passion/pressure of the Adelaide 'fishbowl' and this might explain his hard hands as he tenses up for the contest.
If this is true the AO cauldron of fanaticism would be intimidating/stressful and not conducive to him getting the best
out of himself. Imo it might explain some of our players (Westhoff esp) missing absolute sitters and Charlie under-performing.
Like Westhoff Charlie seems at his best when he plays on instinct. The Hoff missing from 10m out in front yet checksiding
goals on the run from the boundary. Charlie v C/wood at the 'G' last year hit up Neade with a left foot bullet under pressure
from the boundary. Take the shackles off Charlie play instinctive play-on footy.

Austin outmuscling dixon twice. Not sure whether to be excited by that or worried by it. Holy moly, conflicted.
People think Dixon is stronger than he really is and unfortunately he also believes that he can out-muscle opponents even when he's horribly out of position and out numbered. The only way he will be a successful forward with us is by going back to being the leading forward he was at Gold Coast.

Like this:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-28/charlie-turns-the-corner

He's a much more imposing proposition while on the move than flat footed. We can only hope Lade is aware of this and drives the point home.

Love the idea of Trengove up forward. Also means he can switch with Paddy for a few minutes and take ruck duties which we all know he is capable of and Ryder can go forward and be a damaging target. Feels like a good balance of leadership over the ground as well.

People think Dixon is stronger than he really is and unfortunately he also believes that he can out-muscle opponents even when he's horribly out of position and out numbered. The only way he will be a successful forward with us is by going back to being the leading forward he was at Gold Coast.

Like this:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-04-28/charlie-turns-the-corner

He's a much more imposing proposition while on the move than flat footed. We can only hope Lade is aware of this and drives the point home.
I'm pretty sure Charlie mentioned this in his presser yesterday, something like "I need to concentrate less on wrestling opponents and more on taking the the ball out in front" so hopefully it means that Lade has already got through to him.

People are all over our forward line, however it's our ability to defend that is the biggest concern imo. In terms of our ability to score, we scored over 2000 points last year, which is in the top 6 or so in the league, an increase of 100 there would put us in top 3-4. However our defence conceeded close to 2000 points. We would need a decrease of 300 or so to put us in the top four for points conceeded.

The two are likely related though. We would have been compensating for our poor forward structure by using our midfielders to push up and score, clearly at the detriment of their ability to get back and defend once control of the ball was lost and was released from our forward 50 and transitioned to our defensive 50.

Either way, we're going to have to work it out. The good news is with Austin having some experience under his belt, clurey providing running power and mobility plus the return of my man hombsch, we've got lots of scope to improve there. The forward line, not so much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back