Training Preseason 2018

Who is the recruit you are most looking forward to seeing at family day?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Motlop, Watts, Gray, Wingard, Polec.

Some fair talent sitting out the internal trial. I suppose it'll give a few of the lesser lights more of a chance to shine.
...and which ones are being seriously looked at. IIRC Nicks has said in the last few days that in the 1st 1/2 our strongest side
will be on one team (synergy) before a change up for the 2nd 1/2.
The estimated temp of 29 on Sat will be welcome relief from a long spell of mid to high 30's.
BTW how's our Rd1 oppo Freo being touted in the press over there coz we've taken a pretty low profile.

BTW how's our Rd1 oppo Freo being touted in the press over there coz we've taken a pretty low profile.

There seems to be a hope that they'll improve rather than an expectation. The Harley Bennell saga has taken up most of the talk. Without sounding overconfident, I'd be surprised if we had too many problems with them in R1.

That's Watts innit?

Edit: Apparently not!
Both actually. From the intra-club news release.....

"Matthew Broadbent, Jared Polec, Lindsay Thomas, Chad Wingard and Steven Motlop are being managed on their returns from injuries while Robbie Gray and Jack Watts have been granted leave to attend weddings."

"Matthew Broadbent, Jared Polec, Lindsay Thomas, Chad Wingard and Steven Motlop are being managed on their returns from injuries while Robbie Gray and Jack Watts have been granted leave to attend weddings."

This saps about 75% of my enthusiasm for the internal trial. :(

This saps about 75% of my enthusiasm for the internal trial. :(
I am in Adelaide this week unexpectedly, so dead set excited about going! Disappointed about not seeing these guys play, but I actually know how good they are. So I think I am more interested in seeing all the players we aren't too familiar with, how guys like Trengove going, and how the younger guys like Johnson etc, have come in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No repeat of error that cost a final: Hartlett
PORT Adelaide will employ a special tactic at defensive stoppages this season in a bid to eradicate the costly mistake that saw them exit last year's finals series.
A searching review in the ensuing days revealed the Power hadn't set up properly at the stoppage just before the free kick to Shuey, and defender Hamish Hartlett says the Power playing group have vowed to not let the error happen again.
more ..
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-09/no-repeat-of-error-that-cost-a-final-hartlett

PORT Adelaide will employ a special tactic at defensive stoppages this season in a bid to eradicate the costly mistake that saw them exit last year's finals series.
A searching review in the ensuing days revealed the Power hadn't set up properly at the stoppage just before the free kick to Shuey, and defender Hamish Hartlett says the Power playing group have vowed to not let the error happen again.
more ..
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-09/no-repeat-of-error-that-cost-a-final-hartlett

I find this sort of response super dicky.
Why telegraph any change in your on field tactics????
Teams mix it up all the time employing tactics based on what happened last year shows they have no idea.
Deary deary me.

more ..

Id rather they employ a tactic that prevents having multiple goals in a row kicked against them in fhe first half.

If only everyone could implement the same tactic for Joel Selwood it would revolutionise the game.
His is ducking. Given the number of free kicks he gets, if all other sides could implement a whack Joel Selwood hard in the face policy, every time he does duck, then despite the suspensions for the first 11 teams, by mid-season he'd have learnt it's not worth being a cheating prick. Or be out for weeks 'general face soreness'. Either option is good.

I find this sort of response super dicky.
Why telegraph any change in your on field tactics????
Teams mix it up all the time employing tactics based on what happened last year shows they have no idea.
Deary deary me.
Hamish never said what they are going to ... he said that they hadn't set up properly at the stoppage Hamish
said playing group have vowed to not let the error happen again.

Yes, this new 'don't whack Luke Shuey in the face' tactic should work a treat next year.

I'd rather keep the 'whack Luke Shuey in the face' tactic.

more ..
I think there were bigger issues to address. Comments like this scare me.

Last edited:
His is ducking. Given the number of free kicks he gets, if all other sides could implement a whack Joel Selwood hard in the face policy, every time he does duck, then despite the suspensions for the first 11 teams, by mid-season he'd have learnt it's not worth being a cheating prick. Or be out for weeks 'general face soreness'. Either option is good.
All they need to do is abuse him continuously for being a cheat. Every team does this he will stop. He is shown way to much respect by opposition teams and hence the BS cheating continues

Hamish never said what they are going to ... he said that they hadn't set up properly at the stoppage Hamish
said playing group have vowed to not let the error happen again.

They set up wrong against Geelong too.

Back