Training Preseason 2019 - 2020

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Thought I'd put this up for general convo about preseason training stuff.

Read the interview with Sean Murphy. Didn't realise he was from Hawthorn. Automatically wondered if Cale Hooker will now play an extra five years and release his inner Burgoyne.
Liked that he mentioned Caracella and game plan in the same sentence - no mention of John. Also liked that he liked the fitness the youngsters returned with and his willingness to include skills training in his program.
Reserving judgment, but a good intro. Somewhat interested in next year now.
People on Blitz concerned no Joey sighted. Well, also no Heppell, Shiel, Smith, McKernan, Stringer, Hurley etc. Steady as she goes I'd say.

Photos on the website showed Francis, Phillips, Hooker, Cutler, Tippa, Redman were there.
Phillips and Cutler are standard, nearly everyone traded goes to the first session. Hooker's a training freak, Francis is a great sign and I love the last two going as well. A tad surprised that Ambrose wasn't there.

Sep 29, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern Munich
Phillips and Cutler are standard, nearly everyone traded goes to the first session. Hooker's a training freak, Francis is a great sign and I love the last two going as well. A tad surprised that Ambrose wasn't there.
Ambrose may well have been, just not in a photo.

Hooker training is a boon for the younger players. How he isn't in the leadership group is mind boggling.

EDIT: Saad and Langford there as well

Last edited:
First to fourth years should be there. First years being new draftees that we don’t have yet, McQuillan✅ and McBride.
1573509796325.png

Second years are the 2018 batch: Ham✅, Gown✅, Mozzie✅, Snelling✅.
1573509874555.png

1573510233833.png

Third years are 2017 batch: Zerk-Thatcher✅, Guelfi✅.
1573510288194.png

1573510265745.png

And the fourth years are 2016 draftees: McGrath✅, Ridley✅, Begley✅, Mutch✅, Clarke✅, Draper✅.
1573510323372.png

1573510432202.png
1573510402452.png

1573510455619.png

1573510517988.png

Ambrose may well have been, just not in a photo.

Hooker training is a boon for the younger players. How he isn't in the leadership group is mind boggling.

EDIT: Saad and Langford there as well
I think when it comes to guys like Hooker and Hurley it doesn't matter so much. It's an empty title. If you're a leader you'll do it anyway, whether or not you're part of the "Leadership group".

Added pics for Howie but it capped me at 10 attachments 😢

Ridley, Mozzie and Gown are definitely there, they’re in the video but not the photos. Looks like Gown got a haircut.

Not sure about McBride, I think maybe he’s still moving over from Ireland..?

Redman and Parish are in the background a few times as well.

New trades: Cutler✅, Phillips✅
CutlerNov11Training1.png

PhillipsNov11Training.png

Others: Hooker✅, Saad✅, Parish✅, Francis✅, Redman✅, Walla✅, Langford✅

SaadNov11Training.png

WallaFrancisNov11Training.png

LangfordNov11Training.png

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
About the only thing to be gleaned from. Preseason photos is who will get sunburnt or not. The new Irishman looks like he's in trouble

horj89

All Australian
Feb 16, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
It was interesting listening to Xavier Campbell’s spiel on the FB page about the clubs position in 2020. Just before the 3 minute mark he speaks about the players working with the new coaching structure. Caracellas name gets mentioned first, a slight pause, then Rutten and finally Woosha. Theres probably nothing in it but just the way he said it I get the feeling Caracella will be having a massive influence on the way things work this year.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
It was interesting listening to Xavier Campbell’s spiel on the FB page about the clubs position in 2020. Just before the 3 minute mark he speaks about the players working with the new coaching structure. Caracellas name gets mentioned first, a slight pause, then Rutten and finally Woosha. Theres probably nothing in it but just the way he said it I get the feeling Caracella will be having a massive influence on the way things work this year.

Caracella is the new toy that brings hope; they'll be plastering his name on everything to sell 2020 as a (potential) successful year while he's still carrying the aura of success.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Daniher staying could be strongly influenced by Sean Murphy initially, and Caracella if Joe does get over the OP. I hope Caracella has a huge influence.

"Michael Hurley, Devon Smith, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Jake Stringer were among the experienced players making an early start, with Essendon's full list set to train together for the first time on November 25."

(more pics in the link)

Devon Smith back in training :hearteyes:

SmithNov18Training.png

Walla
WallaNov18Training.png

Hurley with Mozzie
HurleyNov18Training.png

And our new forwards line coach (Dan Jordan, our old VFL head coach) in action:
SnellingNov18Training2.png

Back