Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Removing Dunkley will only create stories and distraction we don’t need
If everyone has been honest and straight up about moving on there’s no need to remove him. I guess there’s a chance he might not be comfortable himself.
My only concern is that the leadership group doesn’t just become a clique of the Bont holiday crew.

Removing Dunkley will only create stories and distraction we don’t need
It's not any single person's decision so i don't see how it would become a distraction..
It will be interesting to see if the players and coaching staff vote dunks in or not though

If Dunks hadn't requested a trade, it'd have been his without a second thought. I'd like to see Wallis, with Daniel and Crozier as other strong possibilities and JJ an outside chance.

I’m comfortable keeping Dunkley in the leadership group. So far from the outside it looks exactly like how we all thought it would play out. Assimilated back into the playing group and in ripping nick.

I have no doubts he is a positive influence around the club and will continue to be throughout the year. It’s look like Dunks and Crozier are taking the first year players out for dinner tonight so he’s definitely still playing a leadership role. Leave the off-season in the off-season.

If Dunkley has any honour, he will step down from the leadership group. There’s no guarantee he won’t seek a trade again this year, and failing that, next year when his contract runs out. I know all players have to look after their own interests but we really need players , leaders, to commit to the long haul, in the pursuit of premiership glory, as for instance Geelong and Hawthorn teams have done in the past. That’s where I think Wallis is the best prospect for VC - is there a better clubman? I think blokes like Macrae and JJ don’t have forceful enough personalities to lead, even though on field they set a great example. We have too many shrinking violets who like to leave leadership to a few. Who will speak up?

Dunkley absolutely cannot remain in the leadership group and I'm amazed there are differing opinions on this. I have no problem with him requesting a trade and it hasn't changed my opinion of him. I would never judge anyone for trying to look out for their own best interests. Unfortunately the request for trade is also an admission that you're not "all-in" as Bob would put it. He's putting contract talk aside until the end of this season and there's a high likelihood that he will still want to go. He has one foot out the door and he's at the club against his will. I'm certain he will conduct himself professionally but the optics of keeping him in the leadership group are beyond terrible.

Dunkley absolutely cannot remain in the leadership group and I'm amazed there are differing opinions on this. I have no problem with him requesting a trade and it hasn't changed my opinion of him. I would never judge anyone for trying to look out for their own best interests. Unfortunately the request for trade is also an admission that you're not "all-in" as Bob would put it. He's putting contract talk aside until the end of this season and there's a high likelihood that he will still want to go. He has one foot out the door and he's at the club against his will. I'm certain he will conduct himself professionally but the optics of keeping him in the leadership group are beyond terrible.
Do we know he’s putting contract talks aside? Are the club even engaging with him considering he has 2 years to go anyway?The club will know whether he should remain in the group or not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on what I’ve been told from inside the club - Dunks is in the best shape of his career and has turned up fitter than ever. Has a point to prove.
That's great. Prove your point Josh and you'll be in the running for the leadership group in 2022.
We're a pretty forgiving bunch after all.

Bont is more of a important signing then Josh Dunkley extension

Absolutely agree with this.

Over the years there have been a couple of big names that requested trades, which didn’t materialise, and then went on to have great careers at their existing clubs.

The examples I think of:
- Ryan O’Keefe - requested a trade to Hawks in 2008
- Dusty Martin - wanted out of Tiges in 2013

The KEY difference between both of them and Dunkley?

They both re-signed IMMEDIATELY after trade week.

Dunkley is GONE...

Over the years there have been a couple of big names that requested trades, which didn’t materialise, and then went on to have great careers at their existing clubs.

The examples I think of:

Dunkley is GONE...

If you were stuck playing on a contract that paid half what you were offered by the company next door you’d probably put off negotiations as well. If he played elite footy this year he could leverage his 2022 deal upwards in a new deal with the dogs. He’s just cash hungry which is probably fair enough.

The examples I think of:

Dunkley is GONE...
Did they have 2 years to go on a contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back