Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I think I’m in the minority here but I would have much preferred Schache in the team than 2020 Bruce. Bruce was a net negative on the team more often than not, at least when Shaches bad he’s just invisible, not physically making us a worse team.

it’s not his job to crash packs, he’s not that sort of player and we’ve got enough who can do that. He needs to provide an option consistently, spread the defence and convert his opportunities when he gets them.

I think he gets a raw deal around here, he’s not naturally great in the contest but I’ve never seen him squib one
Don’t agree with you. We had a taste of life with Scahche in the GWS final. I’d rather stick with Bruce who at least will put his body on the line than another pea hearted performance from Schache who was terrified of attacking the footy/ after that one contest where he literally pulled out made me sick.

Don’t agree with you. We had a taste of life with Scahche in the GWS final. I’d rather stick with Bruce who at least will put his body on the line than another pea hearted performance from Schache who was terrified of attacking the footy/ after that one contest where he literally pulled out made me sick.
Can’t say I remember the one but don’t doubt it happened, if Bruce comes back in the some touch he had last year than great that he’s putting his body on the line but he can do it in the vfl as far as I’m concerned. We need a lot more in our forward line than a big bloke getting in people’s way and looking like he’s trying hard (but too slow to actually do any damage anyway).

ive got Bruce in my round 1 team but he’s got 2 weeks to show me something and if he doesn’t I’d be giving Schache an extended 6 week run in his spot, could do worse than giving the bloke some confidence when usually he gets dropped for putting in onebad performance when Bruce put in about 4 in a row worse than Schaches 1 last year and still kept his spot

Naughton's best games have had his partner be: Gowers (Richmond game), Schache (Geelong) Cordy (Fremantle) and English (Adelaide). The important thing is in all of those games Naughton was the primary target and the partner stayed out of the way. Gowers (2.1) and English (1.4) were able to do that while having some measure of impact. Scache (0 goals, 8 disposals) and Cordy (1 behind, moved back to defence around half time) weren't. I'd still rather go Bruce first off because I'd give him a chance to improve on last year's form, but if he can't and continues to get in the way then Schache has proven he can at least create space for his partner at the downside of risking minimal impact himself. However, because Naughton just isn't able to be dominant week in week out yet you do need to have somebody that can be the primary target when it's needed. That's when Schache would hurt us.

If Martin can ruck 70% of the game and let English be that man then that's probably my prefered option (if Bruce is bad again). English can roam and lead to create space like Schache, but also go back and take a contested mark when needed.

Last edited:

Bruce in the St Kilda final was worse. Lucky to get a boot on the one goal he did kick (after playing on inside 50 after Wallis was given a free kick and deciding to do the selfish thing and have a shot on his opposite foot). He then crashed numerous marking attempts by Naughton (who only started taking marks in the last quarter when Bruce was moved up field), before pulling out of the contest late when Membrey marked uncontested. He then gave the high free kick away at the end which sealed the game. Absolute stinker.

Bruce took less marks and had less possession in the 2020 final, compared to Schache in 2021. Now, both had shocking games but Bruce was the worse of the two, IMO. Carrying an extra 5-7kg of flab probably caught up with Bruce in the end and he was cooked by finals, which he has acknowledged by dropping the weight.

Last edited:
I think I’m in the minority here but I would have much preferred Schache in the team than 2020 Bruce. Bruce was a net negative on the team more often than not, at least when Shaches bad he’s just invisible, not physically making us a worse team.

it’s not his job to crash packs, he’s not that sort of player and we’ve got enough who can do that. He needs to provide an option consistently, spread the defence and convert his opportunities when he gets them.

I think he gets a raw deal around here, he’s not naturally great in the contest but I’ve never seen him squib one
As you say, they are different players so they're not taking each other's position. Schache would have come in for one of the flankers who play the same role as him. Although he was injured or recovering most of the year anyway so didn't have many opportunities.

I don't think we did have enough players that could crash packs last year? Who were they? Without Bruce contesting (especially while Naughts was out), the rebound against us would have been horrendous. As bad as he was, at least he gave our smalls a chance.

As you say, they are different players so they're not taking each other's position. Schache would have come in for one of the flankers who play the same role as him. Although he was injured or recovering most of the year anyway so didn't have many opportunities.

I don't think we did have enough players that could crash packs last year? Who were they? Without Bruce contesting (especially while Naughts was out), the rebound against us would have been horrendous. As bad as he was, at least he gave our smalls a chance.
Agreed with Naughty out you need Bruce, no way you go with just Schache one out. But I’m speaking more about when Naughty got back and Bruce hit his worst form of the season. I just meant it more as he’s never going to be a pack crashing type so no point expecting that of him, play him to his strengths. I agree him and Bruce aren’t necessarily always fighting for the same position. But going forward they both have to play as a foil for Naughty and soon probably JUH, with help from English. Schaches shown more ability to play as a foil in a cohesive forward group for mine, Bruce has always been the main guy who goes where he wants, he just can’t be doing that in our set up.

Im hoping both the club and Bruce have acknowledged this and that’s why he’s trimmed down, he looks in great shape so he starts round one but if he shows no signs of being able to play as a foil for Naughty then we can’t waste half a season on him.

I am starting to feel like Cordy's place in the side long term isn't guaranteed. He's an undersized KPD who isn't particularly strong one on one and doesn't seem to have any elite traits outside of his aggression. Unless you're a Dane Rampe / Shannon Hurn quality player, being a short KPD just isn't viable in the modern game.

I am more confident in Gardner being a long term KPD than Cordy tbh. While Cordy is the better player as it stands, I struggle to see much scope in his game to improve substantially from here. As poor as Gardner has been at times, he looks to have a higher ceiling and has demonstrated more useful traits if he can develop properly.

I'd like to be wrong about him, but I've lost a fair bit of faith in Cordy recently.

I am starting to feel like Cordy's place in the side long term isn't guaranteed. He's an undersized KPD who isn't particularly strong one on one and doesn't seem to have any elite traits outside of his aggression. Unless you're a Dane Rampe / Shannon Hurn quality player, being a short KPD just isn't viable in the modern game.

I am more confident in Gardner being a long term KPD than Cordy tbh. While Cordy is the better player as it stands, I struggle to see much scope in his game to improve substantially from here. As poor as Gardner has been at times, he looks to have a higher ceiling and has demonstrated more useful traits if he can develop properly.

I'd like to be wrong about him, but I've lost a fair bit of faith in Cordy recently.
More like Gardner spot in the team isn’t guaranteed

Last edited:
Well......my opinions of JUH just went down a couple of rungs.

Not once did he put his hand up for the ruck.
Unfair, he was just bowing to Caleb’s seniority

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really hope we're practicing not manning the mark properly except for set shots. Standing back will make such a massive difference.

Hocking needs to get away from the rules asap. This is one of the worst ideas they've ever come up with
It will be A total f... up withe some players being pinged and others overlooked for the same offence

Schache definitely looks in the best shape he has since he arrived by quite a bit IMO, he’s slimmed down and toned up. Like I said before he doesn’t need to add size, would be better off just getting as fit and powerful as possible. If he could add just a step of pace he could be a really really damaging third tall type. Think Gunston.
So long as it’s not Norman I agree

Its like Lake - drift forward for a few minutes to take the opposition by surprise - works a treat, but stay down there for long periods and they adjust.
That tactic was born of a study of a player who kicked 95% of his goals in the first half of games so he could be controlled by a lesser player late in the game
allowing Lake to slide forward and use his contested marking as a shock tactic. The player who communicated it was the incumbent in the position so it was very big of him to pass it on to Eade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back