Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

BeMoreBont

Team Captain
Oct 14, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We can't even release our membership numbers (which can't be a good sign) let alone any decent pre season footage/reports.

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Keath clocked one of our top speeds recorded last year. I think only JJ and Crozier registered faster.
That top line speed isn’t really that important for a KPP. It’s far better to have someone who can accelerate really quickly to either create space, or close it very fast.

Best example I can think of recently was Jack Redpath. Had the highest top speed measurement at the club but was not that flash accelerating. Barry Hall was similar.

In saying that, I’ve not noticed whether Keath has decent acceleration. I’ve never seen it as a deficiency in his game though so he’s probably about average.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I could tolerate it if I felt that it was related to the pandemic, but our off-season/training coverage has been below the standards of most other clubs for years. I'm mostly talking about the digital stuff here, but even our open training sessions have been few and far between and, from reports here, often boiled down to glorified lap running from a handful of players since Bev came on board. It's really disappointing. No amount of stupid "get to know the players" sh*t content can make up for the lack of actual football substance.
How do you know it’s not COVID related? Didnt they cut costs across the whole club?

Our club responded better than most to COVID given our financial results

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Mitch Wallis by all accounts is a really respected member of the playing group. Almost cements his place in the forward pocket as a pressure forward who can use his body well on an opposition's #4 or #5 defender. Could be a big year for him - particularly if clubs dont put the time into making sure he's locked down.
And someone who understands you have to put the team before yourself and is happy “to play out of position“!

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Lol Essendon posted a comprehensive breakdown of their Intra club today as well as an 8 minute highlights video. Meanwhile not a work from the club about ours today. I know it’s been touched on but Jesus it’s a bit of a let down for the members who have been starved for too long. We deserve a bit more than we are getting.

This is what Essendon posted today. Compare this to what we are given.

We survived COVID as well if not better than most clubs financially. It’s just possible that other clubs like the bombers didn’t cut as deep as we did

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Bailey Smith (2022) and Bailey Williams (2021) are the two I think we should be prioritizing right now, considering both are due for serious payrises based on recent performance and would have plenty of suitors. Bont will get done without too much fuss, while guys like Macrae (2022), Daniel (2022) and Wallis (2021) are probably on reasonable enough coin as it is so shouldn't require any serious pay bump
We have the Power

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
How do you know it’s not COVID related? Didnt they cut costs across the whole club?

Our club responded better than most to COVID given our financial results
Because it has been going on for six years, the pandemic has been going on for one.

Also, just a heads up, you can hit the "+ quote" button instead of reply to reply to multiple quotes in one post, just makes it a little bit cleaner.

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Because it has been going on for six years, the pandemic has been going on for one.

Also, just a heads up, you can hit the "+ quote" button instead of reply to reply to multiple quotes in one post, just makes it a little bit cleaner.
and for six years we have outperformed most clubs financially have we not despite th historical disadvantages we live with?

if we scrimp on anything then I would suggest we can live with it, not that I think there is anything wrong with our website or content but hey I get it some people are not happy

and yeah nah I will do it my way you do it yours and a heads up for you there is an arrow down button

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
and for six years we have outperformed most clubs financially have we not despite th historical disadvantages we live with?

if we scrimp on anything then I would suggest we can live with it, not that I think there is anything wrong with our website or content but hey I get it some people are not happy

and yeah nah I will do it my way you do it yours and a heads up for you there is an arrow down button
Do you not think engaging better with members and prospective members would increase memberships?

Do you not think engaging better with members and prospective members would increase memberships?
Depends how many supporters and potential members are slaves to social media and the website (like us). A great many people are too busy having lives ;) , jobs, families, other activities and interests, to hang on waiting for regular updates before the season starts. I'd say we are the exceptions rather than the rule.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Winning would increase memberships
The increases in the likes of Carlton and St Kilda’s membership would say not. It’s the clubs job to build some buzz and a narrative around the club. Just waiting/hoping for us to be better is so very us. We’re not very good at selling ourselves.
I believe part of the problem is we have a significant section of fans who are very apathetic around this stuff. It’s a small club mentality that holds us back.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The increases in the likes of Carlton and St Kilda’s membership would say not. It’s the clubs job to build some buzz and a narrative around the club. Just waiting/hoping for us to be better is so very us. We’re not very good at selling ourselves.
I believe part of the problem is we have a significant section of fans who are very apathetic around this stuff. It’s a small club mentality that holds us back.
It can't help that we're a club that started (and continues to grow) out of the lower working class suburbs, meaning the average fan is likely on below average income. Makes it more difficult for many fans to afford a full membership.

If we went down the path of some clubs where we started counting smaller, cheaper memberships towards the count, then I'm sure our numbers would look far better. Otherwise, I'm not so sure we'll ever be much higher in the membership rankings than where we've always sat.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It can't help that we're a club that started (and continues to grow) out of the lower working class suburbs, meaning the average fan is likely on below average income. Makes it more difficult for many fans to afford a full membership.

If we went down the path of some clubs where we started counting smaller, cheaper memberships towards the count, then I'm sure our numbers would look far better. Otherwise, I'm not so sure we'll ever be much higher in the membership rankings than where we've always sat.
I get that but the area is changing and has changed. It’s not just about the now it’s about 5-10 years from now. Being a small club means we need to be better at this stuff. We should be all over the West but we aren’t. I’m not suggesting sinking loads of cash into marketing but if North and Saints can provide quality info around training and intraclubs then we should also.

It's bizarre we dont tbh

Bulldogs Legend

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I disagree I actually think we sell ourselves pretty well but it’s hard to change the historical obstacles we face.

Our increase in support generally and membership over the last 20 years or so would stack up well compared to most club. Thats not to say we couldn’t do better but it’s certainly no big problem

Even a team that has been a complete off-field rabble all post-season does it better than us.

This is what fan engagement and building a sense of excitement in the team looks like on the other side of Dictator Bevo's black curtain.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/ne...EmdrWkmnYw692L5Xq2N0GNrcBTN2SDChZnKaX7301pA5E

Meanwhile on our side of the cold, dark curtain 24, 48hrs after or who the * knows when our scratch match was, all we hear is the chirping of crickets.

I look forward to reading all bout our practice match on hawthorns website next Wednesday.

Back